Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Who's ghetto?
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking of going ghetto for a while. Imminent winter tyre change seems like a good time to do it. Rear rim is a DT 5.1d I think it’s tubeless compatible anyway, very snug with the bead. Front is a Mavic 321.

What are your experiences/advice?

Peace out.

atlaz
    Free Member

Waits for the grammar pedants.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Ghetto D is Ghetto.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

Atlaz grammar is over rated.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I’ve spent the day supporting a severely learning disabled autistic young man, I’m having a day off of grammar duty. Immediacy beats precision.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve used stans strips and a few layers of electrical tape in deep rims.

I’ve also used a variety of gheto methods.

On the whole both methods work, but the stans strips work all the time, ghetto can take ages to get a particular rim/tyre to work, stans just seems to do the job with little or no fuss.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Went ghetto earlier this year on my 5.1’s using the 20″ tube method. The maxxis ardent went up fine with a air compressor. Had a couple of burping moments but thats because I probably run to low a pressure. However IMO the advantages for out weigh the disadvantages.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Can sometimes take a couple of attempts wrapping tape around rim to get tyre sufficiently tight, but once its done, you’ll be very happy.

julioflo
    Free Member

Went Ghetto with some Mavic Crossrides, 20″ Schwalbeeee BMX tubes, JRA wheel milk and 2.25 Maxxis Advantages.
    Worked well, once i’d sussed that my track pump wasn’t up to the job.
    Used CO2 cartridges to inflate in the end. Worked well then

Northwind

Ghetto is a ridiculous name isn’t it…

Anyway, I did it for a while on a 717, was never really happy with it- used to get burps on hard corners and if I rimmed the wheel, including instant flats. And it wasn’t that light either. Worse than tubes in almost every way I can think of, except for thorn protection. I’m sure I could have made it work better with even more electric tape though but the investment of time was offputting.

Tubeless on proper rims is ace though.

soobalias
    Free Member

it either works or it doesnt really, dependant on tyres and rims and your technique

i played with it, long enough to realise tubeless was the way to go and got me some 819 and lust/ust/tr tyres

benjamins11
    Free Member

interestingly I have a ghetto front on a 717 with a maxxis high roller and its been superb, never flatted once.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Hmmm. I don’t have issues with thorns ’round my way. I maybe trying to fix a problem I don’t have. I get the pros of tubeless, but then again my bike rides pretty nicely as it does. The idea of lower pressure seemed positive for the old roots though.

Back on the back burner methinks :mrgreen:

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

On my FS. Superstar XC rims, WTB Stout and Prowler tyres, 24″ BMX tubes split to make the lining, a mix of Wheel Milk and Slime to seal.

The main trick is to run the tyres with tubes a little bit so that when you inflate them tubeless, they “remember” and pop onto the rims nicely.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I was Ghetto’d for a few years. Can’t be arsed with the faff now. After swapping to 2.5 high rollers for a Alpine jaunt and ghettoing them for the trip it was when I returned I got a shock. Changing back from the dual ply heavy monsters I found 2 balls of rubber, one in each tyre.

Guessing that the stuff wouldn’t have done much to stop a puncture like that but to be fair, the tyres were ok in the Alps. Not sure why the stuff solidified in less than a month, altitude, the plane, riding too fast?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Who's ghetto?’ is closed to new replies.