• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by thols2.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Whoops…. accidentally bought a new bike
  • duncancallum

Er went in for a chain

It escalated

Whoop

irc

Easily done.

damascus
    Free Member

Well that escalated quickly! 🤣👍

Its easily done, you need a new chain, might need new gears, it makes economical sense just to buy a new bike.

The problem comes when you still buy a chain and keep the old bike for “winter duties” even when you justified the purchase by saying “I will sell the old one to help pay for it”

And then it just joins the fleet of bikes in the garage.

BigJohn

A bit like that time when I went into Boardwise, my local windsurf shop and Ian, the owner said “your new board’s just come in” “I haven’t ordered a new board”.
    I bought new roof rack straps too so it didn’t fall off on the way home.

honourablegeorge

I was waiting for a pizza once and accidentally bought a Blur 4x next door.

Bruce

I went into a bike shop for some tights and came out with a titanium frame.
    It’s easily done.
    Nice bike 🙂

JAG

Say… that’s a nice bike ;o)

tomhoward

Went to pick up some replacement (free) stickers. Bought a Chameleon.

There’s a joke in there somewhere about not seeing it coming, I’m sure…

weeksy

I like the logic. Can’t argue with it at all.

w00dster

Not cycling related, but genuine story. My wife when she went to buy her wedding dress, she bought the entire shop/business.

uniqueusername

@bigjohn if you are calling boardwise a windsurf shop am I right on thinking you mean grand Prix?

MoreCashThanDash

Not cycling related, but genuine story. My wife when she went to buy her wedding dress, she bought the entire shop/business.

That sounds like a free pass for you in a bike shop.

BigJohn

Yes, I’ve got a photo of me riding a Pryde World Cup Race sail with a Grand Prix sticker on it.
    I keep asking Ian & Doug why none of the 27 or so sails I’ve bought since then have not been adorned with one of their stickers. They’ve always been gracious enough not to tell me that they don’t want anyone as shit as me to be endorsing them

chakaping
    Free Member

That sounds like a free pass for you in a bike shop.

Don’t buy a bike shop FFS

So what is it Duncan?

joelowden

🤣🤣🤣…nae willpower 😁

duncancallum

@ chapaking Ridley kanzo adventure….

@joelowden
    non. That’s why I’ve just nailed a bottle of malbec.

#prolevelgains.

My old pinnacle has done me proud but it’s just knackered n old. A bit like me really

roach

Popped out once to get a chicken for Sunday lunch and came back with a road bike for my son.

smogmonster

I once went to local motorbike dealer for a new back tyre for my Kwakker Z750. Came out with a brand new Fireblade. That took some explaining to the missus.

bigblackshed

I like the cut of your jib, OP.

I justified a new bike purchase to The Wife with some complicated ManMaths that even I didn’t understand. It involved my Kona being stripped to sell the components. I haven’t taken it out of The Shed to look at it yet, let alone taken an Allen key to it. That was in October.

diggery
    Free Member

Went to get a loaf of bread once and bought a new car from the dealership next door. It was second hand and I shared it with the Mrs but still…

Went to get a bite valve from the bike shop and came out with a carbon road bike with full Dura Ace!

thols2

Can happen to anyone. I bought some discount forks online a few years back, then realized that the frame that I thought could take a tapered steerer couldn’t. So I bought a discount frame online too. Then, while I was shopping for the frame, I realized that there was a sale on XT groupsets. Pity to have a nice new bike with shabby old wheels, saddle, bars, etc. so figured I might as well treat myself and finish it off properly. Most expensive forks I’ve ever owned.

Then I found out that the frame that I thought couldn’t take tapered forks can, it just needed a new bottom headset bearing. So I bought some new forks and a headset and it’s all sorted. Isn’t it nice when stories have a happy ending.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.