Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 389 total)
  • Who voted for these idiots? c'mon own up.
  • Lifer
    Free Member

One of my favourite Stanhope bits – NSFW!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmpf5-tuDEo[/video]

clubber
    Free Member

derekrides – Member
    Hmm, can’t see why gay folk feel the need to be ‘married’ and then in church which to take it to its logical conclusion still regards same sex relationships as sinful kind of hypocritical and supporting an establishment that condemns the union.

An old schoolfriend of mine is gay and christian. He’s part of a group who believe that the anti-gay stance of the church is simply wrong, based on long standing old fashioned views rather anything to do with their christian god and are working to change it. On which basis he’d have got married in church if he could have. Instead, he had to go the civil route.

kimbers

Lifer – Member

This has nothing to do with the coalition, who have already achieved more than labour did in 13 years.

For example?

i agree that was a laughable comment

im not sure what theyve achieved other than to plunge us back into recession, force cuts to social care and education, try to sell off the forests, cause a few riots and make a load of people unemployed, all this and they havent even manged to reduce our debt!

konabunny
    Free Member

the gay vote** doesn’t amount to a hill of beans in most places, and the political capital he’s losing over this is significant.

Eh? Which is it, then? You can’t have it both ways (missus).

konabunny
    Free Member

God wasn’t invited to my wedding either.

Being omnipresent, He was there anyway. Think of Him as a high-powered wedding crasher.

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s just tribal nonsense kimbers
    1) we’re not in recession. If we consider that according to some the recession we did suffer was no fault of the labour party, then it is not possible for the tories to be responsible either (by using the same logic).
    2)The cuts/unemployment was necessary due to the global economy (I’m not blaming labour; read above). Labour have not stated how or what they would do differently if anything.
    3)Riots happen. Some people are just scum.
    The tories are trying to legalise gay marriage. That is more than labour did in 13 years.

Things are most certainly not perfect, but it was a long way off under labour, too.

nickf
    Free Member

the gay vote** doesn’t amount to a hill of beans in most places, and the political capital he’s losing over this is significant.

Actually, dear Bunny, I can.

What I meant to say was that the number of votes DC could pick up from the gay community is minimal – certainly not enough to win or lose him any seats at a General Election. Against this, the backlash from dyed-in-the-wool bigots is palpable (though I suspect even the Mail won’t make a huge issue out of this) and could damage him.

So again, I applaud him. He’s got a lot to lose (from the Right) and very little to gain (at least in votes) from this issue.

mudshark
    Free Member

the gay vote** doesn’t amount to a hill of beans in most places

Am I right in thinking 10% of us are gay? Or is that just me?

Lifer
    Free Member

konabunny – Member

“the gay vote** doesn’t amount to a hill of beans in most places, and the political capital he’s losing over this is significant.”

He’s not, “the gay vote” relates to cynical policy moves designed to get more votes (“Let’s okay gay marriage then they’ll all vote for us”) and the political capital he’s losing relates to the bigots who’d give CallMeDave a hard time because he’s not against it.

If that makes sense.

emsz
    Free Member

Yey, luv you guys :mrgreen:

If I ever get my useless gf sorted out, I’ll invite you to my wedding / partnership/ ceremony thingy LOL

wrecker
    Free Member

Being omnipresent, He was there anyway. Think of Him as a high-powered wedding crasher.

He didn’t get any lemonade.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If I ever get my useless gf sorted out, I’ll invite you to my wedding / partnership/ ceremony thingy LOL

Please tell me it’ll be tails and hats! Need a good excuse to wear my topper again! 🙂

Oh, and hope you can get things sorted out for the best!

Lifer
    Free Member

wrecker – Member
    The tories are trying to legalise gay marriage. That is more than labour did in 13 years

So trying to do something is more than (non-exhaustive obviously):

Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.52.
    Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament.
    Devolved power to the Welsh Assembly.
    Paternity leave.
    Delivered 2,200 Sure Start Children’s Centres.
    Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
    £200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & up to £300 for over-80s.
    Restored devolved government to Northern Ireland.
    All full time workers now have a right to 24 days paid holiday.
    Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents.
    Scrapped Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships.
    Banned fox hunting.
    Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals.
    Free breast cancer screening for all women aged between 50-70.
    Free off peak local bus travel for over-60s.
    More than doubled the number of apprenticeships.
    Free entry to national museums and galleries.
    New Deal – helped over 1.8 million people into work.

See that bit in bold. That’s relevant.

enfht
    Free Member

Let everyone do whatever they want, with the same legal rights as married m/f couples but don’t call a partnership between same sex couples as “Marriage” ‘cos it aint.

mudshark
    Free Member

Do I get to kiss the brides?

nickf
    Free Member

Do I get to kiss the brides?

Hey, I was going to use that line!

(Mind you, Flashy can wear topper ‘n’ tails – I’ll be rather more casual, if that’s OK.

IanMunro
    Free Member

enft, I think that might stand up as an argument if you were also stating that people ‘married’ in registry offices were not declared as married, but as registered.

emsz
    Free Member

Flashy, I hope so. We’ve been talking and texting loads.

I’ll snog anyone when I’m pissed LOL

clubber
    Free Member

I thought it was all doom and gloom, Emsz – good to hear it isn’t 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

See that bit in bold. That’s relevant.

Why paste the rest then?

Lifer
    Free Member

Because it shows you were full of tribal nonsense when you say that the Tories have achieved more already than labour did. Without Labour legalising civil partnerships CallMeDave wouldn’t be having this little outdated spat with the bigots in his party.

Lifer
    Free Member

enfht – Member
    Let everyone do whatever they want, with the same legal rights as married m/f couples but don’t call a partnership between same sex couples as “Marriage” ‘cos it aint.

Why?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😯

Emsz, you do realise where you posted that? Here. On STW. 😯

😀

Glad things are looking rosier for you!

emsz
    Free Member

Clubber it’s been a bit rubbish for a while, and y’know how you just ignore it and hope it’ll go away? That was us LOL

Gf is a bit single minded sometimes, so when she started to struggle at uni she thought it would be best to say to me that because she couldn’t seem to do US and uni that she better put a stop to our relationship. Does that make sense? Anyway she realised pretty much straight away that she was being a bit thick. Even her mum told her she was being selfish! ( her mum rang me as well and was really sweet, I was in floods)

We’re not sorted totally, but it’s not the end ( fingers crossed)

clubber
    Free Member

EDIT – <self moderated> nothing dodgy just probably sounds wrong..

wrecker
    Free Member

Because it shows you were full of tribal nonsense when you say that the Tories have achieved more already than labour did.

So you missed this then lifer?

Maybe I should have stipulated in relation to gay union.

Without Labour legalising civil partnerships CallMeDave wouldn’t be having this little outdated spat with the bigots in his party.

At least he has the balls to have a spat with the bigots in his party. Blair and Brown didn’t.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

emsz – Member
    Flashy, I hope so. We’ve been talking and texting loads.

Ah-ha.

Fancy getting, er, “registered”?

Lifer
    Free Member

Well you’re still wrong. Labour actually legalised Civil Partnership. An actual piece of legislation relating to Gay Union. What legislation has the coalition produced?

wrecker – Member
    At least he has the balls to have a spat with the bigots in his party. Blair and Brown didn’t.

Interested as to what this bit of ‘whattaboutary’ relates to?

konabunny
    Free Member

Actually, dear Bunny, I can.

I have now RTFA properly and realise I had everything backwards. Sorry! Ignore me!

nickf
    Free Member

it’s not the end

Good. Glad to hear it.

v8ninety

Not trolling; what’s the difference between a civil partnership and marriage anyway? I got married in a registry office and I wouldn’t know the difference…

wrecker
    Free Member

Well you’re still wrong.

I’m not. You are. 😛

Labour actually legalised Civil Partnership. An actual piece of legislation relating to Gay Union. What legislation has the coalition produced?

How long did it take them? How long has the coalition been in?
    Accusing the coalition of whataboutery? really? 😯

Lifer
    Free Member

Sorry wrecker but you’re mixing things up.

i) twas your assertion that, in relation to gay union, the coalition “have already achieved more than labour did in 13 years.”

What have they achieved? Nothing.

Labour legalised Civil Partnerships. Actual legislation passed through both houses and squiggled on by Liz.

ii) you mentioned that CallMeDave “has the balls to have a spat with the bigots in his party. Blair and Brown didn’t.”

I was asking for an example of where Blair and Brown didn’t.

wrecker
    Free Member

I was asking for an example of where Blair and Brown didn’t.

Gay marriage?

In April 2010 Labour Minister for Equality Harriet Harman when asked about same-sex marriage said the issue was a “developing area” and that the government still had a long way to go with what it had done with gay rights.[25] Then Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the government did not allow same-sex marriage because it was “intimately bound up with questions of religious freedom”.[26]

In 13 years they never even got close.

atlaz
    Free Member

“intimately bound up with questions of religious freedom”

Erm. How’s that for sophistry? How does letting gay people get married in a civil ceremony impede the lives of the religious? Surely everyone has enough practice in ignoring stuff that doesn’t work for their religion by now. May as well had said:

“Dear gays,

bigots don’t like it. Bigots vote. I’m supporting bigotry.

Love (but the manly, not at all queer kind),

Gordy”

bobbyg81
    Free Member

Peace and ****! Believe!

Lifer
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

“I was asking for an example of where Blair and Brown didn’t.”

Gay marriage?

In April 2010 Labour Minister for Equality Harriet Harman when asked about same-sex marriage said the issue was a “developing area” and that the government still had a long way to go with what it had done with gay rights.[25] Then Prime Minister Gordon Brown said the government did not allow same-sex marriage because it was “intimately bound up with questions of religious freedom”.[26]

How is Brown saying that (I’m guessing influenced by his religious beliefs) an example of Blair or Brown not standing up to the bigots in their party?

Civil Partnerships were a pretty big step but I’ve already said that.

Junkyard
    Free Member

civil partnership, it is not even close then ..is it nowhere near as close as what Tories achieved with Section 28 …. those good old Tories eh

you can see how they voted here on the civil partnership btw – nearly all opposition to it was Torty led
    http://www.revolts.co.uk/Civil%20Partnerships.pdf

37 tories , 1 independent tory, 2 lab , no LIb dems. 6 DUP and 3 UUP
    http://www.christian.org.uk/issues/archive_html/civilpartnerships/commons2rvote/votebreakdown.html

Gawd bless those tories and there freedom for gays agenda where would we be without them ..oh yes oppressing them thats it isnt it 🙄

FFS without a lab govt it would still be illegal to say gay relationships were of equal status to heterosexual ones..you can argue this in true STW stylee but its nonsense [ as the latest revolt shows the resistance comes only form tories and their irish pals] to suggest the Tories have got gay friendly. Clearly some within the party have made great efforts to drag the party into the 20 th century never mind the 21st, is .

wors

where do you live again 😉

atlaz
    Free Member

Lifer – not wanting to stoke the fire, but in that case, his ranking of religious freedom above equality for a (relatively large) portion of our population indicates either an unwillingness to stand up to bigots or a nice healthy slice of bigotry for himself.

Sorry, it’s a binary issue so either he’s for it or against it. Saying that it’s too complicated to deal with means he’s siding with the people against equality.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 389 total)

The topic ‘Who voted for these idiots? c'mon own up.’ is closed to new replies.