Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 281 total)
  • Who still hates the Olympics?
  • hels
    Free Member

No of course not prizes for all, I’m not saying that. I just think they should show some respect for all the people that supported them in their efforts, and the other athletes, but not crying like a big baby when you don’t get the bestest shiniest prize.

Of course you have to aim for gold, but somewhere in the intensive training I think they missed out the section on losing gracefully and with dignity and showing due respect for the winners.

Of course, if NZ had lost the World Cup final we were going to nuke France from orbit, just to be sure. But that’s different.

Klunk
    Free Member

it doesn’t help with the media response to silver, the way the silver medal canoeist were treated when their team mates won gold was dreadful. The interviewer, after they had their arms round each others shoulder, split them apart and turned his back on the silver medalist and never asked them a single question in the end they were ushered out of shot.

flange
    Free Member

Righty, I’m a bit tired so might not be as venomous as previous posts…

As I said prior to the Games starting, I wouldn’t be watching the road race or TT as it would be hypocritical of me. So I didn’t. What I did do was sit in traffic trying to get out of Kingston over that weekend along with about twenty thousand others – didn’t see much Olympic cheer then.

I’m pleased for the sports folk who’ve done well and I’d imagine that stood in front of that massive crowd last night in the Olympic stadium must have been an amazing experience. Their hard work and graft has given them the results they wanted and I have nothing but admiration for them. But it doesn’t affect me, doesn’t change my opinion that these games are something we can ill afford and that the money should have been spent elsewhere.

I see a lot of arguments against the Olympics where numbers and facts are stated. The majority of responses to these arguments from Olympic supporters are along the lines of ‘it lifts public spirit’ and its for the greater good. I can’t see how public spirit is going to create more jobs, or fix the NHS or lift us out of the massive debt we’re currently sitting in. It really does still feel like everyone is enjoying these two weeks without considering the after effects. This, coupled with the fact that I’m told constantly that I should be ‘proud’ and enjoying the Games means I’m still sat in the ‘waste of money and time’ camp…

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Sorry if I’m taking you out of context here, but surely for some athletes just getting to the games is a massive achievement, and whilst they may have goals (getting in the top ten, making the final, whatever), getting a medal will not be a realistic aim.

Slightly out of context yes. I’ve heard a few athletes before their event say they are ‘just pleased to be there’. That reminds me of the sort of thing I used to say to my dad when I used to race motocross. If I was convinced I wasn’t going to do well or didn’t like the track etc I’d normally say to him ” i’ll be pleased if I can just get to the end of this one”.

It might be unrealistic to assume you can/will win but resigning yourself to the fact you definitely can’t isn’t a good approach. Of course it’s an achievement to get to the Olympics but now you’re there have self belief. Who knows what could happen?

The talent of an athlete is the will to succeed , the will to win and the drive and work ethic that comes with that. Few people have that sort of mind-set. It’s a talent as far as I’m concerned.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member
    So why not just report the facts as part of the sports news rather than the gooey saturation worship on the BBC?
    POSTED 14 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Because they are excited to be reporting such amazing news about our athletes?

lazybike
    Free Member

Because they are excited to be reporting such amazing news about our athletes?

they should just report and leave us to do the excitement…

molgrips
    Free Member

not crying like a big baby when you don’t get the bestest shiniest prize.

Wtf is the point of any of it if not to get the best shiniest prize?!

Doesn’t seem like you really understand top level competitve sport, tbh. If you don’t care about prizes just go for a bike ride/run/knock about in the park. As many people do, very successfully of course.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Why is that lazy?

Scamper
    Free Member

Loving the olympics. Hard to belive not so long ago a fair few were saying it would be an embarrassment to the Country.

Isn’t Yorkshire doing quite well in the medal table – 8 golds or something?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Personally, I’ve never spent so much time shouting at the TV.

I wonder how David Starkey’s doing at the moment…

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m not hating it but as everyone at work is always watching it I’m getting a bit sick of having it on day in day out. Have to say I am surprised it’s going well so far though, thought it would all go tits up somehow. I’ve been enjoying bits of it, looking forward to the bmx racing this week 🙂

ohnohesback
    Free Member

It is an embarrassment to see the mass of doe-eyed droolers and disturbing to see how so many can be so easily pleased by so little.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Wtf is the point of any of it if not to get the best shiniest prize?!

“The most important thing is not to win, but to take part”

– Pierre de Coubertin founder of the International Olympic Committee describing “the Olympic Spirit”.

brakes
    Free Member

As I said prior to the Games starting, I wouldn’t be watching the road race or TT as it would be hypocritical of me.

you could just watch it, enjoy it, but not tell anyone…
    which is what I bet you’re really doing.

disturbing to see how so many can be so easily pleased by so little.

if only everyone in life was so easily pleased.

Sandwich

Touched a nerve by the looks of it there Bwaarp.

I’m assuming you are shit at an awful lot of things to be satisfied with failure.

There there, never mind.

Let me guess. You’re short, fat with stumpy legs, oversized head, small feet, small hands, small…..

Rather unnecessary

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Self edit. Double post.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Isn’t Yorkshire doing quite well in the medal table – 8 golds or something?
    POSTED 9 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Three golds, puts ‘us’ about 11th in overall table 🙂

MrWoppit
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

It is an embarrassment to see the mass of doe-eyed droolers and disturbing to see how so many can be so easily pleased by so little.

Are you ever, you know – happy?

At all? About anything? 😕

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Happy? What on earth is that? Do you mean perhaps, less miserable?

mcboo
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

Oh the sanctimony. Dont be embarrased, just tell us what you think we should be allowed to enjoy.

I’m having a lovely time, can’t wait to go to the athletics on Friday night.

richmtb

Go Team GB!!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

You can enjoy whatever you wish to. And I can still cringe at the whole olympic farce.

How long until it’s all over?

mcboo
    Free Member

Whinge whinge whinge

What

a

baby

imnotverygood

For all the moaning I can’t say I’ve noticed any of the branding/marketing. Maybe as a TV viewer it has just passed me by.

lazybike
    Free Member

Why is that lazy?

Their job is to report what is happening…if they want to say its exciting/dissapointing thats fine, but they should have some proffesional detachment when it comes to thier emotions

binners

Sweet Baby Jesus and the orphans! There are some right miserable bastards on here. I thought I was bad, but frankly I’m a rank amateur

lazybike
    Free Member

Binners….you don’t understand the sacrifice and dedication…

ocrider

Their job is to report what is happening…if they want to say its exciting/dissapointing thats fine, but they should have some proffesional(sic) detachment when it comes to thier emotions

Absolutely! Can we have more robots devoid of emotion commentating and presenting sports please? 🙄

Keep the upper lip stiff, chaps.

lazybike
    Free Member

It did come across a bit like that.. 🙂

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I am enjoying the actual sports immensely. I am concerned that once the euphoria dies down, which won’t take long, that the reality of our current economic situation will kick in and we may slump into a state of collective depression. Whilst people may be enjoying the warm weather and joyous occasion, I fear they will not be feeling quite as happy come next winter when the cold, recession and unemployment are biting hard.

I don’t think not being sucked into all the mass hysteria is being at all ‘miserable’, I just think it’s being realistic. These games have come at enormous cost to this nation, one which we don’t appear to be very well prepared to pay for. It’s a bit like blowing all your money on booze and treats, then not having enough afterwards to buy basic essentials. And awful lot of money seems to be being spent on these Panem et Circenses.

It is really nice to see Britain a bit more cheerful for once though I must say. London is a really great place to be in right now.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I just think it’s being realistic

Or pessimistic.

When you’re out for a couple of drinks in the evening do you enjoy the moment or spend the whole evening thinking about the hangover you’re going to have the next day?

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s an embarrassment to see the miserable whingey gits who can’t let people get happy together without having to piss all over it.

Seriously.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Why is that lazy?
    Their job is to report what is happening…if they want to say its exciting/dissapointing thats fine, but they should have some proffesional detachment when it comes to thier emotions

Do you watch Newsround then? I can’t say the ‘big’ news has been overly emotive in the reporting really.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Why is anyone watching the news at the moment… just flick over to BBC3 or the red button for uninterrupted coverage.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Rather unnecessary

Absolutely, and purposefully so.

Why can’t people just respectfully disagree and then put forward their opinion and thoughts. I can’t fathom why someone can become so angered by someones opinion on something so menial that rather than say they just disagree, they have to display their anger that you would dare to have an opinion slightly differing to theirs.

So, my response was purposefully belligerent because I could find no logical reason why he would get so angered and upset that my opinion clearly didn’t run in line with his.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Or pessimistic.

When you’re out for a couple of drinks in the evening do you enjoy the moment or spend the whole evening thinking about the hangover you’re going to have the next day?

Hardly ‘pessimistic’. Why not just have enough, be happy and stay healthy?

Or is it the British Way to overindulge and then have to deal with the inevitable negative consequences?

instanthit
    Free Member

Have to say i was another one of those cynical doubters who thought it would just be a big egg and spoon race, and we would be left with the egg all over our faces.
    Nice to be proved wrong.
    I have been shouting loudly at the telly most days, even watched the tennis yesterday, cheering on Murray, normally tennis is a non event in our house.
    Also haven’t seen any Mc S**T adverts.
    Have been asked by all my work colleagues about tactics in cycling (i am in their eyes an expert)so profile is defintely being raised.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Or is it the British Way to overindulge and then have to deal with the inevitable negative consequences?

On a positive note… the answer is ‘Yes’.

See the current and previous Governments for reference.

diggers
    Free Member
    Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

It must be great to see the negatives in almost everything.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 281 total)

The topic ‘Who still hates the Olympics?’ is closed to new replies.