Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 281 total)
  • Who still hates the Olympics?
  • mikeconnor
    Free Member

It must be great to have your head stuck permanently in the sand so you don’t have to see the harsh reality of things.

molgrips
    Free Member

Or is it the British Way to overindulge and then have to deal with the inevitable negative consequences?

Would you rather highs and lows, or just constant middle ground?

This is actually a fairly personal thing, and quite fundamental to your lifestyle. Nothing to do with being British. Or is it? 🙂

Blackhound

And the eejit commentators learning as they go;-)

Sailing

Off to the boxing on Wednesday to hopefully watch Katie Taylor.

lazybike
    Free Member

I can’t say the ‘big’ news has been overly emotive in the reporting really.

no, big news has been fine….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

And we are meant to worry what Morrisey thinks?

Remind me when/if he was ever relevant?

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Would you rather highs and lows, or just constant middle ground?

I’d rather go out, have a good time and come home in a reasonably healthy state, than get wasted, mentally and physically abuse the wife and kids and have to then deal with the consequences.

molgrips
    Free Member

That wasn’t quite what I meant, mikeconnor!

Blackhound

The Olympics are chance to bury bad news. I mean, Louise Mensch is resigning and who is bothered;-)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

molly – you don’t even drink at all.

mike – you could just be a happy drunk? Maybe do something a bit experimental with the wife, accidentally wake up the kids as you stumble in the bathroom and have a fry-up in the morning?

mikey3
    Free Member

What are those black boxes infront of the spectators? (i,m guessing the obvious answer is speakers but i thought i would ask anyway :-).

mikey3
    Free Member

Or are they part of the seats duh!!!

deviant
    Free Member

Morissey making himself look a tit by comparing the London Olympics to 1939 Germany?…..nothing new there then, he’s become quite boring in his old age….a Scrooge-like caricature, like a grumpy uncle perhaps.

He could have only made that piece more ludicrous by throwing something in there about the UK becoming a Police state, that’s usually a sure fire way to appeal to fellow ‘stuck-in-the-6th-form’ rebels of his ilk.

….and another bizarre leap from mikeconnor insinuating that to go out and get drunk means coming home and abusing your family….yes Mike, thats what happens to all of us, i just cant help myself but to lay into the other half once i’ve had a few…..you plank.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Why do people get so angry on here?

Hungover?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

i just cant help myself but to lay into the other half once i’ve had a few…..you plank

I think you’re missing the subtlety of his analogy. You’re on soft drinks from now on.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Why do people get so angry on here?

Hungover?
    No, I think it’s your inane prattling drivel that does it.

deviant
    Free Member

How do i quote?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Mikey – they are lighting units for the opening ceremony. No idea what ongoing use they will be, but they looked great last Friday.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

“No idea what ongoing use they will be”

Exactly.

lazybike
    Free Member

“No idea what ongoing use they will be”

closing ceremony…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And after that?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mike, for someone who has bought so much sunshine and happiness to stw in their short time of posting, that is quite a comment. 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

And after that?

Spanking mike.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

And then there is the Royal Mail painting the letterboxes gold. How cringeworthy!

MrWoppit
    Free Member

donsimon
    Free Member

How do i quote?

Use the quote tabs in the reply box, or just wave your fingers in the air just above the shoulders at “critical” points. 😆

footflaps

And after that?

I think the whole Stadium gets pulled down and possibly re-built as a smaller football stadium without the track…

The Hockey stadium is a temporary kit and off to Brazil as soon as the Olympics finishes.

The Velodrome stays, not sure what else is staying.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

I understand the velodrom and aquatics centre are permanent, but the future of the stadium is uncertain. it will be sad if it is not preserved for the purpose it was intended. i think it would make an excellent athletics stadium for London.

I have no idea why baseball is even in the Olympics, far less why a purpose built venue had to be provided.

parkesie
    Free Member

Loving the olympics and so are this lot. Whats not to like.

Theyve been racing up and down the street taking it in turns being team gb and winning gold 😀

Even being the camera bikes the lot.

donsimon
    Free Member

I think the whole Stadium gets pulled down dismantled and possibly re-built as a smaller football stadium without the track…

Isn’t the Olympic stadium built out of giant meccano and recycled gas pipes?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Baseball? I thought that had been abandoned as an Olympic sport. Blimey mike, let’s hope they haven’t built a purpose built venue. Even by the Olympics standards of excess, that might be a little too much to swallow 😉

cinnamon_girl

When does this nonsense finish?

Hell, we may even see some proper anarchy and it will be about bloomin’ time too. 🙂

mikeconnor
    Free Member

My mistake, there isn’t a baseball venue this year. I thought there was. Baseball has been included previously though, bizarrely. Maybe we should have demanded a croquet or Eton Fives court!

It doesn’t seem as though most of the venues will remain, but then they were only meant to be temporary and it’s unlikely there will be much call for them after the games. There will be some great venues left but i fear most of the Olympic park will end up as commercial development, as I can’t see how such a large area can be sustained for public enjoyment.

I can”t beleive the BMX track is temporary. I thought one of the conditions was that it would be a permanent fixture? And what of a road racing circuit to replace the original Eastway circuit? The vleodrome is great, but i don’t see how many of the ‘promises’ are going to be delivered.

donsimon
    Free Member

Hell, we may even see some proper anarchy and it will be about bloomin’ time too.

Who do you propose as leader and strategic planner?

cinnamon_girl

Who do you propose as leader and strategic planner?

Why, the gang of Big Hitters obviously and led by the inimitable Al. 😉

Edit: wanna join us dondon?

donsimon
    Free Member

the gang of Big Hitters

😯
    The first meeting will either finish in a matter of seconds with titty lips and flounces all round or be a long, drawn out battle of wills. Either way the general public can sleep safely in the knowledge that nothing will happen. 😀

mcboo
    Free Member

i fear most of the Olympic park will end up as commercial development,

Oh no not a COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT!

brakes
    Free Member

heaven forbid a commercial development, bringing something as horrific as… commerce.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Oh no not a COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT!

Well considering that London won the bid to host the games on the condition there would be a lasting sporting legacy, as well as regeneration of an area to benefit the whole community, that it will more than likely end up as a large commercial development area will sadly make the original promises and pledges worthless.

Which irreparably damages the Olympic Games as a force for good, i think. I cannot see the trend of negative olympic impact being reversed here in London.

Newham Council cannot afford to house all those in the borough who need housing, apparently. I cannot see how masses of expensive housing developments will benefit any of those with such needs.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

regeneration of an area to benefit the whole community, that it will more than likely end up as a large commercial development

because as everyone knows, commerce brings jobs and jobs are EVIL and not good for the community

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

C_G – have you always hated the Olympics? Even when it’s been held abroard?

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 281 total)

The topic ‘Who still hates the Olympics?’ is closed to new replies.