Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)
  • Who smokes?
  • hora
    Free Member

but at least you agree you smoke now, you face restricted lung capacity etc etc in later life (i.e 50’s onwards)? Not every smoker keels over and dies from Cancer in a relatively short period.

Visiting hospital you see older people stood outside with drips etc pulling away on a cigarette.

That depresses me. Quality of life is key regardless of how long it is.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Been stopped for over a year after decades of smoking. Reaping the health benefits now

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

This may just be coincidence, but…

When I’d quit before I used to get ID’d for booze every month or so (aged 30), started smoking again at roughly the same time I turned 31. Got ID’d again for the first time yesterday since being 31… 3 days after I stopped again.

Smoking ages you, FACT!

binners

There is nothing worse on gods earth than preachy ex-smokers.

And what’s more its completely andd utterly counter-productive. When I’ve got some sanctimonious, whining health-nazi bleating on at me, I glaze over and reach for the B&H

Most anti-smokers are too self-righteous and dense to actually realise this. Aren’t they Hora? 😀

soobalias
    Free Member

first and probably last time i agree with fred.

i smoke rollies, some days none, some days half a dozen, i do notice the effect in my lungs if i smoke straights.

Its just one of my vices, its my life and i will live it/die it how i want.

hora
    Free Member

One day binners I will put you into my work camp. Work makes you free you know. 8)

yoshimi

Those people who wanted to quit, did quit and have remained smoke free, how did you do it?

simonm
    Free Member

I smoked 30 a day until 6 years ago.. When I quit, I used patches, determination, a new house with larger mortgage, and took up mountain biking to keep me from smoking… 6 years down the line, i’ve certainly spent more on bikes than I did on cigs… but I’ve had soo much more fun and I don’t stink like a dirty (old) pub anymore !

Two other things stopped me. 1, my wife is a respiritory nurse – does this spirometry test that shows your lung age vs actuall age… V scary to see that 10 years ahead of actual age.. today I’m beating my age by 5 years.

The other thing was Nigela’s husband dying from Lung cancer at 30 something and not seeing his two daughters growing up….I wanted to see mine growing up.

To be honest, I couldnt face being socially outcast as smokers are now, being kicked outside into the street to smoke etc.

Good luck to anyone quiting… its worth it.

hora
    Free Member

Hardwork.

For years I wanted to quit. Hated having to check how many I had left and spent many nights going out to get some more so I could have my just before bed cigarette. I tried patches, gum etc- it just prolonged the agony for me. Cold Turkey did it.

You have to be ready to quit. Don’t quit for the sake of it.

It went from enjoyable for me (cool to the girls), to endurance, to hatred of it for feeling commited without choice.

The line ‘you can’t save those who aren’t ready to be saved’ could be used….

Hohum
    Free Member

I stopped on March 2nd this year.

Just did it cold turkey this time.

Luckily I had become so mentally sick of everything to do with smoking that it was not too bad altogether.

Giving up the first one in the morning was difficult and the one after dinner, so what I did was purposefully take breakfast with my son (he thought it was great that I was sitting eating with him) and after dinner I would have a wee snooze rather than go outside for a smoke.

Oh, I had also set myself a goal of being smoke free by 40 and I am 40 next month, so it looks like I will achieve my goal 🙂

The only downside is I have put on about 10lbs since stopping, but that does not bother me to be honest.

nickc

stopping smoking when you ‘actually’ want to, is easy. No really, it was.

It’s a mental thing, you either want to stop or you don’t, it’s that simple, I didn’t want to smoke any more, so i stopped, once you realise that, there’s no point in trying to stop until you really really want to. But when you do, it’ll be easy, ’cause you actually look forward to not smoking, and not resenting giving something up.

BiscuitBoy

I quit..

For my Children
    To give me a chance to actually do the ‘todo’ list b4 I die.
    Because I’m scared of a long horrible death,
    Because I hate being controlled by it,
    Because I don’t enjoy it anymore.
    Because it’s slowly killing me.

I hope all you quitters succeed.

hora
    Free Member

This helped for me….

I smoked big **** off cigars for a while after quitting…

convert

Those that do smoke – must be getting pretty grim these days?

Having to find crappy little places round by the bins at work.
    Friends and relatives asking you to stand outside to smoke when you visit their houses.
    Constantly creeping off outside when on a night out.
    Half the population (of the ones you’d be interested in) discounting you as a potential partner no matter how fit/intelligent/funny you are just because you smoke.
    And then the cost…..

I’d be finding a new vice.

lowey

Those people who wanted to quit, did quit and have remained smoke free, how did you do it?

By being awesome.

I was ready to give up. Until you are really ready then you will struggle.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Until you are really ready then you will struggle

Is there not an element of convincing yourself you’re ready?

ivantate
    Free Member

Mugs game. End of.

cinnamon_girl

Nope, you can’t stop half-heartedly. Certainly in my experience I needed a reason to stop and that was when my kids came home from school saying their teacher had told them it was bad.

But some folk need a little assistance – acupuncture didn’t work so it was then on to the Nicorette gum. Oh, and I took up running. 8)

I smoked for 20 years, had been bought up in a family of smokers, and now have no desire for a cigarette at all.

You have to want to stop.

Hohum
    Free Member

The introduction of the ban on smoking in public places has been great IMO and it certainly helped me to stop and will help me to stay stopped.

I am not an anti-smoker, that would be very hypocritical of me given my past, and I believe that if people want/choose to smoke then they should be allowed to.

soobalias
    Free Member

FAO convert:
    obviously its very personal but,
    i dont smoke at work as a general rule, i dont like the way the tetchy non smokers are so quick to judge a book by its cover, i also dont have coffee breaks or gossip breaks.

i dont smoke inside at home, (for the smell) with the exception of my bike shed. So it doesnt bother me going outside to smoke. If its lashing it down then i just wont bother, the rest of the time its peace/quiet/fresh air, an escape if you like.

On a night out, you tend to find the more sociable people outside smoking, it seems to stem from the ‘blitz mentality’ particularly i love the non smokers now complaining that people going outside is ruining their night, its like STWrs complaining about people smoking in a park!
    I would never be interested in a partner that was that shallow.
    cost: £5 of baccy lasts me about 2/3weeks and i love it.

Digby

I smoked for well over 20 years. Climbing in the alps convinced me that my lung capacity wasn’t what it was and if I wanted to keep doing outdoor activities etc then it was time to do something about it …

There’s a quote from the 1991 film ‘Dead Again’ spoken by Robin Williams:

“Someone is either a smoker or a nonsmoker. There’s no in-between. The trick is to find out which one you are, and be that. If you’re a nonsmoker, you’ll know”

I realised that I was a ‘smoker’ – 20 odd years of addiction & ingrained behavioural habit’s doesn’t dissapear immediately. I just told myself that “I wasn’t smoking today” … and that was four years ago.

Give up if you can – it’s worth it! Some people can smoke for years with little or no ill-effect … but it will catch up with you at some point …

user-removed
    Free Member

I’m back on the blooming things again. Gave up for four months over Summer, then had a week in Italy, sitting outside bars / cafes in the sunshine surrounded by beautiful Italians enjoying lovely tabs.

So I started again. Will be having another go very soon – mostly for the sake of peace and quiet from Mrs Removed – very aware that this isn’t a good reason to quit but it’s as good as any other….

Not a fan of ‘straights’ – always rolled my own (another Drum smoker).

Bah!

Hohum
    Free Member

soobalias – Member

On a night out, you tend to find the more sociable people outside smoking

Interesting comment given how anti-social smoking is considered nowadays!

convert

On a night out, you tend to find the more sociable people outside smoking

😀 That’s funny – keep telling yourself that. You are obviously still of the “all the cool kids smoke” school of thought. I thought most people grew up past that stage by about 16!

I would never be interested in a partner that was that shallow.

I don’t think it’s anything to do with being shallow or not – most non smokers (and that’s the vast majority of the population now – esp among the higher socio economic groupings) think that smokers stink and sharing spit with a smoker if you aren’t one is not very edifying.

tang
    Free Member

catch your will power on a good day. when i was 21 i woke up one day and gave up drugs/booze but not the odd rollie/bidi(indian cheroots) my habit was small most of the time then at 30 i did the same, woke up one day and said ‘thats it’ despite the urge now and again the ‘no voice’ in my head is louder. on the down side smoking helped me relax more and general anxiety is def worse in the last 6 years. much fitter tho.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I gave up 3 years ago.

I recognised the triggers that made me smoke. They were:
    Lager- so I drank bitter
    Instant coffee – so I drank tea
    long car journeys – hard to avoid with my job but I did it.
    a certain set of traffic lights on my route to work (unbelievable I know) – I went a different way to work.

Try to find your triggers and avoid them for a month.

Del

sitting here, trying to think of something inspirational, or at least ‘non-pious ex smoker’ to say, as encouragement to stop, but can’t really. it is rather a pointless drug though.
    anyone who’s still in that ‘i’ll smoke if i bloody want to’ mindset won’t be dissuaded by a few words written by me, and frankly, i couldn’t care less.
    i used the allen carr book ‘easyway to stop smoking’. if you want to stop, or at least, don’t see yourself smoking for the rest of your life, buy it, read it, and let it do it’s thing. it’s not very thick, and you could probably read it cover to cover in a few hours, if you were so inclined. might turn out to be the best book you ever read.
    what have you got to loose?

maxray
    Free Member

Gave up smoking about 4 or 5 years ago, occasions have one when drunk or a special one if there’s one going round but by and large am pleased I no longer smoke day in day out. Def think you need to want to quit rather than thinking you should.

epicyclo

You don’t have to quit cigarettes.

They’ll quit you – and like all separations from someone/thing you love it’s long and painful.

emma82
    Free Member

Don’t smoke! It’s gross, you smell bad and if you don’t die of cancer you will eventually drown in your bodies own self developed green gunk which will slowly build up in your an attempt to save the smoke from damaging them even more until you will literally not be able to breathe anymore. Trust me, I know and it’s vile. People concentrate too much on the ‘don’t smoke, you’ll die from lung cancer’. Actually there is a fair chance you may not but you will spend many years dying very slowly and miserably of other smoking related illnesses. Not nice

soobalias
    Free Member

its only non smokers, most usually ex smokers, who think that its an antisocial habit.

convert – pious ex smoker? loving your generalisations but they dont actually apply to me. my wife and three ex partners who are all non smokers would inform you however i suspect that you are not one to listen perhaps because you believe you are from a higher socio-economic class.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don’t smoke! It’s gross, you smell bad and if you don’t die of cancer you will eventually drown in your bodies own self developed green gunk which will slowly build up in your an attempt to save the smoke from damaging them even more until you will literally not be able to breathe anymore. Trust me, I know and it’s vile. People concentrate too much on the ‘don’t smoke, you’ll die from lung cancer’. Actually there is a fair chance you may not but you will spend many years dying very slowly and miserably of other smoking related illnesses. Not nice

Erm, thanks, but I kind of think we already know that. 🙄

And what’s more its completely andd utterly counter-productive. When I’ve got some sanctimonious, whining health-nazi bleating on at me, I glaze over and reach for the B&H

Got a light, Binners?

Hohum
    Free Member

mboy
    Free Member

Having to find crappy little places round by the bins at work.
    Friends and relatives asking you to stand outside to smoke when you visit their houses.
    Constantly creeping off outside when on a night out.
    Half the population (of the ones you’d be interested in) discounting you as a potential partner no matter how fit/intelligent/funny you are just because you smoke.
    And then the cost…..

I’d be finding a new vice.

Is what I thought…

Only the smoking ban has polarised people more… Inside pubs and clubs is a far more pleasant place for us non smokers to be these days, the problem is that for most people under 30, going outside to have a fag is cooler than ever cos it makes them part of an elite club! See this all the time, bars/pubs/clubs with more than 1/2 the punters huddled around outside, often under patio heaters, smoking away…

I’m a vehement anti smoker, always have been. But then even if I liked the smell of it, or what it did, having lost 2 of my direct relatives to Cancer even if I wanted to smoke I couldn’t do it…

I don’t however bang on to other people constantly about the dangers of smoking, it is their choice (though I’m glad the ability to choose to smoke in places where it can harm the health of non smokers has been taken away). The only thing that pisses me off is people going to all the effort of giving up, or trying to give up, convincing themselves how disgusting it all is (quite rightly) to then as soon as they have a bad day at work or something, they reach for the fags! A couple of my best mates have done this several times… Someone else said it above, there are only smokers and non-smokers in the world… There is no inbetween, cos one fag will just lead to more…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ex Drum (gotta be Gold though) smoker here.

My tipping point has been reached over the last year or so (had a successful 9 month stint on the wagon a couple of years ago) when I realised I was the last person in my circle of friends that smoked. Felt a bit hypocritical extolling the virtues of cycling, running and rowing and then nipping out for a roll-up.

Never going to be a preachy fecker about it, but listening to binners and Effinchafing whining on is as sad as the preaching that provokes it.

emma82
    Free Member

Erm…. yet still smoke?! Don’t get it. Sorry.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Yeah? So what? It’s my choice. I enjoy a nice juicy ciggie. Same way as I enjoy a good poo, or a bacon butty, or a pint. What I really don’t enjoy, is people going on and on about how unhealthy it is. I know it’s unhealthy.

See, on each packet of cigs, there’s a very prominent health warning, reminding me of my own stupidity every time I get the packet from me pocket. What makes you think you banging on is going to have any effect when the warnings and images of diseased lungs etc don’t?

Mountain biking is dangerous. Breathing in car fumes is dangerous. Autoerotic Asphyxiation is dangerous.

Do you hear me banging on at you not to do those things? No. So, leave me and Binners be, please. Just let us kill ourselves in peace and quiet. It’s all we ask.

emma82
    Free Member

Autoerotic asphyxiation? Blimey, never would have thought of that as an argument 😳

Just making a contribution that’s all 🙄 s’cuse me for breathing (no smoke polluted air obv.)

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m one of those annoying (to “proper smokers”) social smokers who might have one on after a few pints if others are and one is offered. “funny smelling smoke”, only with friends but I’ve cut back a lot as it was making me feel too drained all the time.

imagine if there was a “STW Funny Smelling Smoke Ride”…

the race to the cafe would be hilarious

I would be well up for this 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just making a contribution that’s all s’cuse me for breathing

Yeah, but d’you think we haven’t heard it all before? Sorry, don’t mean to jump down your throat, and I know you’re ultimately just showing concern, so I don’t want to sound all ungrateful, but it just gets annoying once you’ve heard it a million times…

For what it’s worth, I’m reasonably fit and healthy, and go swimming as well as biking. I have healthy lungs, low blood pressure, a good strong heart and am probbly a fair bit healthier than quite a lot of people my age who don’t smoke.

So, surely I’m entitled to poison myself a bit?

And no, I don’t want to give up. 😡

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘Who smokes?’ is closed to new replies.