Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 182 total)
  • Who smokes?
  • yoshimi

Just wondering!?

I give up all the time but seem to be doing well at the moment and not really missing it. This could be the time it works 🙂

SaxonRider

I have a friend who smokes Drum. I will roll one with him when he visits, and quite enjoy it. But no, I would not call myself a smoker.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Drum gold here, now n then

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I quit (again) last Friday. The gym is easier already.

MSP

I used to smoke, and have been largely successful in quitting, but sometimes my willpower caves in when alcohol is involved, fortunately I only drink 20 pints a day.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I smoke once or twice a day mostly, sometimes I can go days without a cig, if I’m out drinking I can do quite a few.

I do like a nice cig now and then. Strangely, I really enjoy a cig just after exercise like swimming.

emsz
    Free Member

Occassionally after too much drink.

Is it ok to admit to the ‘funny smelling’ ones as well?

philconsequence
    Free Member

funny smelling ones… you mean old holburn and such?

DaRC_L

Drum Gold – i would quit if my wife did (probably) trouble is she prefers the sudden stop whereas i prefer the wean myself off ’em approach.

willard

I am probably classed as a moderate smoker, but the plan is to quit in the new year.

I want my fitness back. I want to get 10k down to 45 minutes or less, then do a half marathon and do a triathlon, so smoking is not really a sensible thing to do.

yoshimi

I used to enjoy the funny ones far more than I should have but got sick of being in a walking coma….

I know next time I’m out on the beer will be hardest to deal with, that’ll be Wednesday, Friday, Saturday then

13thfloormonk

Like them best when outdoors, camping or on top of hills. Or drunk.

They seem to serve as a little break from proceedings, particularly useful if I’m tired, lost or just plain not enjoying myself! Suppose others would have a brew or a snack, rollies are just easier.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Enjoyed the funny one’s on a daily basis (and I mean every single day) from the age of 17 to 29, slowly cut down until the beginning of this year.

The majority of the people who did likewise are f’ing nuts these days!

meehaja
    Free Member

I enjoy the occasional rolly (another drummer here) but thats like one a month, maybe more if i’m on nights.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I’m a bit too partial to the funny smelling ones and the odd rolly. Like Elf above I have to say the best rollies are after I’ve been swimming.

philconsequence
    Free Member

imagine if there was a “STW Funny Smelling Smoke Ride”…

the race to the cafe would be hilarious

mintimperial

Sort of…

I haven’t had a cig since July 2004. But one of the various mind tricks I used at the start was telling myself that I was still “a smoker”, just one who hadn’t sparked up since yesterday/last week/last month/last year/last decade. This is partly because I didn’t want to become an annoying ex-smoker. Preachy non-smokers get on my wick more than a little, the interfering busybodies. Anyway, it seems to still be working.

One other trick I used was promising myself that if I made it to eighty I could start smoking again. So, hopefully, I’m actually just between cigarettes. 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

phil – I used to get up on a Saturday morning and light up at 7am. My riding buddy would then ensure I had a steady supply of funny fags all the way to Wales. Apparently they had a massive impact on how quickly I rode!

mintimperial – I’ve been a preachy ex-smoker since Saturday am!

thomthumb
    Free Member

One other trick I used was promising myself that if I made it to eighty I could start smoking again.

i plan to start again when i retire/ go in a home.

sor
    Free Member

Yes, I smoke. But I can quit any time I want. I’m so good at quitting that I regularly quit two or three times a week.

Saying that, I am making a determined effort this time and haven’t lit up since Sunday. I miss it.

carlphillips
    Free Member

sponging machine to the forum!!!!!!

hora
    Free Member

Stick with it Yoshimi.

Its either that or stay addicted.

Older generations are hooked and didn’t really know the full advertised extent of how bad smoking really is for you.

Children/young adults who try it now are blithering idiots. Theres no excuse.

Coyote
    Free Member

It embarrases me to admit it but I fully agree with Hora.

oldgit
    Free Member

Smoked for about thirty years. Right through road racing, marathons,triathlons the lot. I did a full ironman in 85 and there were a few smokers at that.
    Still fond of a rolly, but can’t face normal fags anymore.

hora
    Free Member

Its one thing I applaud new Labour for. The balls to actually ban smoking which would surely hurt them at the polls in some form.

I was addicted for years and went gradually from thinking it made me look older, to cool to abit sad. I couldn’t quit though. Hated it. Then I started getting annual chest infections in winter. Doctor told me I could happily carry on smoking for a few more decades but then it would be a slow and painful long decline in longterm health.

Sat with me and took her time.

She stopped me smoking on the spot. I still frequented pubs (and worried about getting pissed and having a fag but never did). It was more the fear that stopped me.

I might still have a slow and painful death however it wont be because I have restricted airways and need help getting round slowly from the front of supermarket parking spots.

We all talk of saving money, pensions etc for later years however smoking fags now stores up future problems for a very poorly future. Sort of banking on lack of ability to move or enjoy life as much anymore. That is much worse than a swift death.

mintimperial

I’ve been a preachy ex-smoker since Saturday am!

I reckon a certain amount of banging on about it is entirely forgiveable at first, because it’s a flipping difficult thing to do.

I was really referring to people who haven’t smoked in years, or have never smoked, who take it upon themselves to try to convert random smokers when it’s none of their business at all. I suppose you might not encounter these interfering busybodies so much nowadays, given that there’s basically almost nowhere that you’re allowed to smoke at all any more…

hora
    Free Member

mintimperial are you a middle-aged rebel? You know that attitude goes out of the window after your teen years. No offence but there is nothing about smoking that marks you as cool, living dangerously etc.

In a way it is similar to alcoholism. Sorry, its true.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Yeah, to be fair I’ve just been smug so far. Especially to friends that are also trying to quit.
    The only time I’ve ever been really preachy was when I quit took a break before and my then girlfriend still smoked… kissing her was f’king disgusting.

momo

Another smoker here, keep thinking about quiting, but just the thought of it gets me a bit scared and I have to go and have a nice relaxing cigarette 😉

In all seriousness though, I quit for 2 years in my early twenties, and I remember how much fitter I felt for it, so I know that I should really give up now, the problem is that I just don’t want to at the moment.

Keva
    Free Member

smoke a couple of rollies a day and bit of weed /hash now and again. Still run a 41min xc 10k – not bad for my age.

Kev

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Preachy non-smokers get on my wick more than a little, the interfering busybodies.

Then, as if by magic:

No offence but there is nothing about smoking that marks you as cool, living dangerously etc.

In a way it is similar to alcoholism. Sorry, its true.

Hora, do you drive a car what pumps out loads of toxic and carcinogenic fumes into the atmosphere which are actually far more damaging to other people’s health?

Shut up then. 🙄

I like a nice cig now and then.

Binners; next time Hora passes out after one too many shandies:

Please.

D0NK

I was really referring to people who haven’t smoked in years, or have never smoked, who take it upon themselves to try to convert random smokers when it’s none of their business at all.

Occasionally GF/friend/work colleague/whoever on a night out would tell me they were trying to quit then a few hours later would start complaining when I pinched and ripped up every fag they tried to put in their gob. Don’t tell me you’re trying to quit unless you mean it but on the whole I don’t preach/tell smokers to quit.

SiB
    Free Member

Funny one on morning walk at 6.30, couple of cigarettes during working day, then back to funny ones. Is it the weekend yet?? Hold down a good job, am active, dont drink, reasonably fit, can hold conversations ………’best’ ones are after any exercise. If I caught the kids doing either I would go mad at them and ground them forever! Hate seeing people smoking, hate the smell of cigarettes (stale or fresh), am addicted and not proud of it. I just dont think I smoke enough to go through the ‘pain’ of giving up, plus I enjoy it. Quite often just funny ones at beginning and end of day. Makes me more ‘zoned’ and determined to get up that hill. Funny ones, never giving up.

hora
    Free Member

Hora, do you drive a car what pumps out loads of toxic and carcinogenic fumes into the atmosphere which are actually far more damaging to other people’s health

and that large black-fume-belching bus that you ride round on? 🙄

mintimperial

mintimperial are you a middle-aged rebel?

Heh. As soon as I’d posted that I knew I’d regret it. I just have sympathy for smokers because I used to be one, and it really can’t be much fun any more. That’s all really.

You are, of course, completely right, Hora. I’m not going to list the many very good reasons why, though, everyone knows them anyway.

Good luck to all who are trying to quit. Stick with it, you can do it.

hora
    Free Member

Good luck to all who are trying to quit. Stick with it, you can do it

Agree totally.

Sorry if I come across abit angry. Smoking is bloody evil. We used it like a crutch the same as alcohol. I’m no saint with alcohol infact when you quit smoking your alcohol consumption ramps up for a while doesn’t it?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don’t use the bus, hardly ever. I ride my bike.

Do you think smokers don’t know what a filthy, unhealthy nasty expensive habit it is? Do you really think they want to be told? By some preachy self-righteous twunt?

You add to global pollution. When every aspect of your life is green and lovely and harm-free, then you can come and preach.

In the meantime, try to understand that smokers don’t want people like you banging on all the time. It’s boring, and it’s not actually going to motivate them to quit, so please just keep it to yourself. What your actually doing, is not trying to be helpful, but just to constantly remind yourself that smoking is bad. Fine. Just do it in your own head, and give the rest of us some peace.

Cheeze, I need a cig now after that….

then a few hours later would start complaining when I pinched and ripped up every fag they tried to put in their gob.

I would really, really love to see you try to do that with some of the smokers I know.

I’d have St John’s Ambulance standing by… 😉

yunki
    Free Member

and that large black-fume-belching bus that you ride round on?

three wrongs don’t make a right..

I enjoyed the rock and roll woodbines and the altered perception it gave me of the universe every day for many many years.. it got to me in the end though and now I hide in cupboard cowering from the thought police for days if I so much as stand next to a hippy..

As for the evil tobacco..? I gave up for the fisrt time since I was 13 for the first half of this year… didn’t miss it a bit and felt bloody great.. lots healthier and less stressed.. then I convinced myself that I could just maybe smoke one cig here or there.. or perhaps even have a night on the fags occasionally with no harm done..
    then I started just having one on my lunch break each day..

long story short.. I’m on about 10 a day now.. I feel sluggish.. apathetic and short of breath… my skins awful I’m constantly craving the next one so I’m irritable all the time.. and I can’t afford it..

ace.. I love ciggies.. loads.. apart from nearly everything about them..

mintimperial

I’m no saint with alcohol infact when you quit smoking your alcohol consumption ramps up for a while doesn’t it?

Yup. Still waiting for it to ramp back down TBH… 😉

yoshimi

Thing is, I know how disgusting, sad, controlling and harmful they are……..just wish there was some miracle cure…..just wish I’d never thought it was a good idea to ‘become addicted’ all those years ago sat in the park drinking Breakers, MadDog and Thunderbirds along with all my mates.

I really, really hope I can do it this time!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 182 total)

The topic ‘Who smokes?’ is closed to new replies.