Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Who makes the best quality/ value pop up shelters/gazebos ?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

Had a 3 x 3m steel framed all seasons gazebo without walls for several years and it was cheap , strong and durable . I now need to replace and I could go for the same again ..(.perfectly happy with steel frames) but am happy to spend a little more . The market is flooded with various makes all claiming on theirs being the best with prices ranging from under a £100 to …well the sky’s the limit ,but aluminium frame commercial quality units start at around £350 in the narrower gauges ( 3 x3 ) .
    I can’t find much consensus on the best makes/models ..I tried to google market trader forums with little success.
    I recently came across a “chips away” operative using an incredibly robust set up on the side of the road . It was large gauge aluminium frame with lots of quality fittings and a huge spring which gave the central “peak pole” a little suspension for windy conditions .The canopy was also top notch . Unfortunately he didn’t know the make and suggested asking the company, but on doing so I found them very unhelpful so never discovered the brand and cannot find any image online of the same model. Undoubtedly it would have been costly and probably out of my price range .
    If anyone has any inside knowledge, recommendations, advice it would be much appreciated .. I don’t really want to spend megabucks but hoping to find a decent quality replacement that will last a few years . Also very happy ( in fact I prefer) to buy used if anyone knows of a source but there doesn’t seem much on ebay .
    Thanks in advance
    Bill

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Palram make good stuff – lean to or self supported. Perspex roofs. Alu frame. I’ve got a 3m palram Sierra that is really well made and survives some crazy gales around here.

For popup I think Coleman are good?

simon_g

24mx one is meant to be great for the money if you can live with their branding. https://www.24mx.co.uk/racetent

I’ve got a Coleman Event Shelter which is great but not the work of a moment to put up and down.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Got a rock awning explorer 3×4.5, it’s bloody solid, the only negative I’d say was that the door zip didn’t last very long, but tbh it doesn’t really get zipped up anyway.

Sure we paid about 250 quid years back, they’re 200 now!.

boblo
    Free Member

EZ UP is the commercial jobbie I’ve used in the past. Don’t compare with cheapo jobbies, you’ll be dissapointed especially on price.

el_boufador

One of the best purchases I made last year was a eurohike shelter. This one.

Its semi geodesic so is rock solid in the wind. Comes with 4 doors, packs up relatively small and light, and can be had lots cheaper than the link above.

It’s miles, miles better than the more expensive, heavier and less stable Coleman shelters I’ve used (and snapped my in the wind) in the past.

You can get 12 adults sat under it at a push. I can’t overstate how much more comfortable it made a relatively wet camping trip to the lakes.

Not sure if it’s suitable for your requirements, but it is a really great bit of kit.

joefm

another nod for rock awnings. It’s withstood all weathers in the exposed paddock areas of kart tracks for 4 years now so pretty solid

theotherjonv

we had the Trespass version of that Eurohike one for two years, about £100 from Argos. We put it on the decking with eyebolts fitted into threaded sleeves sunk into the planks instead of guying it out, and it sat out all summer through 2020, came in for winter, and then made it most of the way through 2021 as well before the UV made the fabric brittle and start to tear.

It was a godsend, being able to have visitors outside during Covid but protected from the summer drizzle, with walls off as necessary.

Will def be replacing this year as well.

kayak23

24mx one is meant to be great for the money if you can live with their branding.

I have the 24MX one. It is excellent and very well built.
    But yeah, not subtle.

kaiser
    Free Member

Well ..the MX one looks incredible value but is the canopy up to prolonged downpours/wind or permanent erection ( ooer missus ) if properly staked ? My all seasons survived 2 whole winters /loads of strong wind and rain etc . Is the MX canopy decent quality material as the sides (if bought ) look very lightweight ? Otherwise some great ideas so thanks folks … Gala tents seem to be highly respected also .

Fat-boy-fat

We got a seriously sturdy 3mx3m gazebo from gazeboshop.co.uk. Hexagonal aluminium struts. It was good for everything storm wise last year, not including storm Arwen or whatever it was called as we had put it away for that. We use water filled anchors.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I’ve got a Galatents Pro40 3×3 which I’d recommend. It’s been used for outdoor work for a couple of years and still looks and works like new.

piemonster

permanent erection

Some one in town has had theirs erect in their garden for months now.

highlandman
    Free Member

Another vote here for Gala- I’ve two, which I use to provide first aid tents at a range of races each year and have proven surprisingly robust, although I did go a bit further up-range to get the more chunky models. They’re often put up and dragged down by well-meaning but ham fisted helpers at each of the dozen or more deployments each year and have survived some tough conditions while up. Far from lightweight though.

kaiser
    Free Member

I get the feeling the top of the range gala’s are about as good as you get without paying an astronomical price . Like everyone I appreciate quality but in reality it’s hard to justify without it being used regularly for work purposes where income offsets the outlay. I have to be so careful with my finances these days as currently have minimal income and life is just so expensive .

ceepers

Had a gazeboshop 3×2 permanently up in my work car park since July 2020. It’s survived everything until the roof ripped during about 6 weeks ago. The frame is bomb proof so I’ve just replaced the roof and it’s as good as new again.

Would recommend

RustyNissanPrairie

We ran a few Gala tents commercially with wife’s business – best price/performance I could find, good Comms/spares/support.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Why pop up if permanently erect?

I’ve an mx24 too. Only had it one summer, cc seems ok. It can be got with Honda branding sometimes,c or white background not black. Wish I’d for the white, black radiates a lot of heat still.

kaiser
    Free Member

Well ..I ended up being lucky thanks to a local woman underselling and badly describing her pro model used at exhibitions. She made it sound in terrible condition and got the model wrong. I took a gamble and offered less than the already low price as I wasn’t sure and didn’t want to waste fuel.
    On arrival I was pleased to find it was the top of the range Rock awnings Rhino hex 55 aluminium .. the heaviest duty model . Frame was much as new and the heavy duty canopy simply a bit dirty and needing a couple of small repairs.
    It’s fantastic and I’m so pleased as I would never to be able to purchase such an excellent bit of kit new . They rarely come up for sale 2nd hand also and sell fast if reasonably priced so was very lucky .
    Funny how a bargain makes you feel so good … guess it’s about beating the system for once .

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Who makes the best quality/ value pop up shelters/gazebos ?’ is closed to new replies.