Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Whitby
  • chestercopperpot
    Free Member

A wet weekend in Whitby does it get any better? living the dream alright.

So you can ride Sustrans, Robin Hood Bay, Ravenscar, Flyingdales, drive out to Dalby Forest that sort of thing.

I’m going to regret such an open question but here goes 😆 anything else about Whitby and the surrounding area I should know?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’re in the middle of the North Yorkshire Moors, stick your waterproofs on and go for a long walk, even in the pissing rain it’s a beautiful part of the country!

Moses

Jet, vampires, goths, fish & chips, ace steam railway.

prawny

The ice cream van on the harbour wall was good if it’s still the same family. Little family company, only had a couple of vans (quoted their insurance for them a few years ago) banging ice cream.

Trillo’s I think. It’s been a few years.

edlong
    Free Member

If you’re partial to fish ‘n’ chips don’t be fooled by the “must go to the Magpie” received wisdom, there’s better to be had. My favourite is the Quayside up the street from the Magpie, but there’s one the other side of the harbour that generally seems to win the annual local newspaper vote (so preferred by the locals) but I can’t remember the name.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The steam train to Pickering for a visit to the castle is a nice way to spend a few hours, especially with kids (Goathland station was used as Hogsmeade station in the Harry Potter films). Loads of fab mountain biking on the Moors. I’ve a soft spot for Staithes up the coast as a very peaceful place to while away some time, but appreciate it might not be for everyone.

Is it just you? Family? Kids? Give us a few more clues.

wombat

Edlong is absolutely correct wt chips

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

smoked kippers in the street , steps up to the Abbey

ton

beer. ace pubs

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

oh yeah , a pint of Whitby jet is never a bad thing

fannybaws
    Free Member

surf can be good at sandsend and there is a cracking bistro there as well.

unovolo
    Free Member

Get yourself over to Beckhole to the Birchhall Inn, a proper step back in time.
    See that hole in the wall?

That’s the bar!

Homemade pies and a pint of Porter, never been anywhere like it.

dienamic

Never mind the fish an chips, try the Humble Pie and Mash shop, over the bridge, follow the road around to the right

the-muffin-man

Don’t go out after midnight – if you do carry some garlic and a cross.

HansRey

Birch Hall Inn was my local for many years. Great pub and great owners. The other pubs in the village are dire, except for the Inn on the Moor which was always entertaining.

Trillo’s is the local icecream company. It’s not too bad. As for fish and chips, the best place is on the east side and has a clown on the window. I can’t remember the name of it…

If you stop in Whitby, there’s a nice small skatepark on West Cliff.

molgrips
    Free Member

We went late summer, it was INSANELY busy. Could hardly move.

mos

Went last year for mates stag do. Kind of felt as if we were being secretly filmed for some weird social experiment. Seemed as if all the locals could smell fresh blood an a chance to dilute the gene pool. Odd, a bit like Keswick.

munrobiker
    Free Member

We go every year as we had our honeymoon there. Our usual weekend goes something like-

– Dinner at Mr Chips fish and chip restaurant. The best by miles.
    – Drinks at the Duke of York pub up on Henrietta Street. A great pub with good beer and a vast selection of whisky at reasonable prices.

– Cakes from Botham’s Bakery for breakfast on the Saturday
    – Steam train to Goathland
    – Nosey around Goathland for a little while then train or walk to Grosmont.
    – Lunch in the Art Cafe in Grosmont. Usually buy a piece of art.
    – Nosey around the engine shed
    – Train back to Whitby
    – Pier, 2p machines in the arcades
    – Dinner somewhere
    – Pub.

– Breakfast at Skipper’s Cafe. Bit of a greasy spoon but they do fried bread.
    – Mooch about the town, usually along to Henrietta street then up to the Abbey.
    – Walk along the cliff a bit
    – Ice cream

I’ve been going for almost 30 years and these are the best things to do in my opinion if you have just a weekend.

If you’re there for longer then a trip to Robin Hood’s Bay is good, and a trip to the Museum of Victorian Inventions is essential! It’s amazing there! Buy appointment only though.

ratherbeintobago

if you do carry some garlic and a cross

To repel the goths?

As above Magpie good, but by reputation not the best F&C in town.

the-muffin-man

To repel the goths?

You’d need a Ken Dodd tickling stick for that. They really don’t like to smile.

eddie11
    Free Member

Is it boothams the local bakers? Go to one of their branches and eat all their cake. Repeat

carlosg
    Free Member

As above Mr Chips for fish n chips voted best chippy by locals.If you fancy a bit of fossil hunting travel up to Port Mulgrave it’s a bit of a trek getting down to beach level but lot more fossils there than around the Whitby beaches.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Some good boat fishing to be had with a few decent skippers around.

https://www.shy-torque2000.com/

Not an ad & never been but heard good catch reports. Love the name of that boat!

fatoldgit

Whitby ?

Horrible Horrible place

Absolutely no reason to even think of going there

Just don’t go near it

HONEST

fatoldgit

Will you lot up there ^^^^^. Please stop encouraging more visitors

One of my favourite places but it gets way too busy

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Mooch about, eat, pub, sack the bikes off, repeat. Pub names noted 8)

Whitby Jet bitumen winnits/polished coal. Not sure there’s room at Copperpot towers, what with my comprehensive collection of spar boxes.

Might keep a watching brief over the fossil hunting, close eye on the tides. Sure she would love to have a bash at it, must be a suitable isolated bay with fast rising tide.

Shaping up nicely 😉

Creg

Don’t go to Port Mulgrave for fossils. There was a cliff slip last year and now it’s a rope climb to get down there (unless you’re into that sort of thing)

Try runswick bay for a nice beach/walk, decent pub in the bottom half of the village. Also have a short walk south of Whitby to Saltwick Bay if you fancy quiet but not too far from town. On the way there you pass the abbey and a small farm which has a very popular micropub in it.

ulysse
    Free Member

Don’t piss of the Military Police at RAF Fylingdales, the FIL can be a bit of a nasty pasty when narked…

legspin
    Free Member

I went for the first time last year after every man and his dog had told me it’s great.

I now call it Shitby, never again.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Whitby’ is closed to new replies.