Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Whiskey valuation?
  • ElShalimo

Yep… it’s Irish whiskey.

My Dad has a bottle of Jameson’s 1780 Special Reserve 12yr old. He’s had it for nearly 30yrs, it’s still in its original box, and wants to know if it’s worth anything before he opens it. He’s a very occasional whisky drinker, one glass every 5yrs or so.

In asked him not to open it until we work out of its worth anything. Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tried go ogling it? Whyskie exchange was one who felt with this sort of stuff found all sorts of wine and spirit prices that way

redmist
    Free Member

Try Whisky Base for a start

ElShalimo

Thanks

swdan
    Free Member
    ElShalimo

It looks like this, it was a gift from a friend 25-30yrs ago but my parents can’t remember exactly when

Cougar

Let me phone a friend.

convert

Does whisky/whiskey get better with age once bottled? Can’t imagine it would. Whisky is aged in casks. Doesn’t mean it might not increase in value as there must be muppets out there that don’t know this.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Convert,

less to do with change in flavour (it doesn’t once bottled) more to do with rarity of the bottle that has an effect on value.

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

It doesn’t improve with age once bottled, unlike a good wine and can even deteriorate with temperature fluctuations. I’d just drink it and enjoy it.

rene59
    Free Member

Doesn’t mean it might not increase in value as there must be muppets out there that don’t know this.

Like these guys?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-44169529

Cougar

I got an answer from Someone Who Knows.

“It could go for anywhere between £45 to £85 in auction. Not bad, but if I’m honest, not great.

I’d strongly consider buying a modern Jameson 12yo equivalent and then opening the two and comparing them…”

convert

Like these guys?

Well kind of. But no.

That was whisky that stayed in it’s barrel for 60 years. It’s a 1926 vintage – Peter Blake (one of the artist that produced the label for the bottle) wasn’t born for another 6 years!

Still a batshit mental price for a bottle of anything. I assume it will never be drunk. Seems such a waste all around.

redmist
    Free Member

The suggestion in your answer sounds like more fun than just selling!

ElShalimo

@Cougar – I agree with their recommendation! Thanks

I’ll tell my Dad. He wants to open it at a family party over the weekend so it’s probably the best thing to do with it. Its a litre bottle so it will take a while to drink it

😋

TerryWrist
    Free Member

Just had a look at that Whisky hammer site, I’ve got a bottle of this https://www.whiskyhammer.co.uk/item/11625/Macallan/Macallan—10-Year-Old-Speaker-Martin-Edition.html

I think I might have to keep an eye on how much it goes for….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Its a litre bottle so it will take a while to drink it

Well if it’s that bad…..

ElShalimo

If my FiL was here it’d last about 2 hrs!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

There are certain interactive chemical reactions that can continue within the bottle, between compounds from the distillate and ones extracted from the wood, even if there is no more contact with the wood.

So the flavour will change, but to a much smaller degree than if it was in the barrel.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Whiskey valuation?’ is closed to new replies.