Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which would you choose?
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the canyon grail as a replacement for my old caad x that I use for commuting and road riding as well as a few forest trails. Am torn between going for the Al 6.0 or the Al 7.0, the difference being tiagra hydraulic groupset or 105 hydraulic groupset for an extra 250 pounds.

I’ve had the previous generation of shimano tiagra, 105 and dura-ace and didn’t think shifting performance was significantly better to justify the cost so in that sense I’d be happy with tiagra from the shifting point of view. However, I have no experience of tiagra or 105 hydraulic discs. Is there much difference in performance?

I’m inclined to say tiagra suits my basic needs perfectly as I don’t want an overly posh bike for commuting but want it to be reasonably nice for occasional sunny days out. But I don’t want to find out that the tiagra hydraulics are rubbish as there’s no way to change just the brakes easily being that it’s 10 speed rather than 11.

Any thoughts? Anyone tried either brakes or own a Canyon grail?

robbo1234biking

I have Tiagra hydraulic brakes on my Boardman and they are really good. Quite happy with them and wouldn’t need to upgrade them at all.

meandyuk

I’ve never tried Tiagra Hydro but I have a Grail AL 7.0 with the 105 and its been great.

I think either would be fine for a commuter bike. Bigger question is which colour are you going to choose? I went with silver.

If you want to know anything else let me know. I’m 179cm and went with a size small.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I would definitely go with the silver, however, having been in touch with Canyon they have none in stock and have ‘no idea’ when they will. Is it just me or is it pretty strange to not have any idea when you are going to be able to sell your product. I get dozens of emails from companies telling me when I can get their new and improved this that or the other but Canyon seem to be the exception. Weird.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have the Carbon, love it with the 105, sorry not much help there!!

Think the sizing is a bit easier to work out on the Alu than the carbon

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Would like to go for the carbon but I think I’d just end up being a bit too precious with it.

rOcKeTdOg

Id go for something I could test ride or at least sit on before spending the ££

sockpuppet

If it’s 7000 105 I’d definitely go with that. It’s really good.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Yes it’s 7000 105. I’ve just sold one of my mtbs so I’ve got the money burning a hole in my pocket. Given that canyon have no idea when they might be able to sell me a bike I’m looking elsewhere for other options. Any ideas for something similarly specced for a similar price?

joebristol

Having seen another recent thread how about a Cannondale Topstone? Spec is broadly similar although perhaps the Canyon has the better wheelset (especially hubs). But the Cannondale frame is likely to be better.

£1499 for a 105 hydraulic disc groupset one.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cannondale-Topstone-105-Disc-2019-Road-Bike_203900.htm?sku=619058&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjZKGlLPN4QIVLrXtCh1SxAYPEAQYASABEgL3l_D_BwE

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I do like the look of that. Will see about going to check one out.

DickBarton

Can you afford the extra 250? If so, take that, the kit should last a bit longer and weigh a bit less – all usage being equal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Would like to go for the carbon but I think I’d just end up being a bit too precious with it.

I ain’t precious 😉 I’ve thrown it at stuff and with some heft on the saddle too 🙂 It’s been damm good fun for the first year – just got my 1st birthday discount code from canyon!!

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I gave up on the idea of a Canyon as there didn’t seem to be any way of knowing whether it would ever be possible to get one. I’ve gone for Joebristol’s suggestion instead which I got for the same price when I traded in a worthless bike at Evans.

Doesn’t come into stock until the end of the month so I’ve got a bit of a wait but nothing compared to the Canyon. I had a 60cm Caad12 and I’ve still got a CaadX in 61cm but I’ve gone for the large rather than the xl so I could put a dropper on it and have a bit more standover height for off road duties. It means it’ll be a centimetre shorter than the Caad12 but should be good for a more relaxed position. Fingers crossed it’s the right decision.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Having ordered the topstone, I eventually gave up on it too as it just kept getting delayed which gave me time to realise that I could upgrade my CaadX for less money to have a bike that was equally capable but with a better spec.

Here’s what I ended up with having used some new and used parts.

caadx

2016 caadx frame 61cm
    Hunt cx wheels
    Hutchison tubeless 32mm tyres
    Ultegra groupset
    Hope rx4 callipers
    Cannondale c2 carbon post
    Original bar, stem and seat clamp
    Budget shimano spds
    Fabric scoop shallow ti saddle
    Fabric bar tape

Pleased with the result and looking forward to putting some miles in now.

plus-one

Good work ! You’ve ended up with a higher spec bike for less money and you know it fits 🙂

It’s so easy to get sucked into new and shiny when some nice upgrades are the way to go.

anagallis_arvensis

Id go for something I could test ride or at least sit on before spending the ££

Come on, you’ve been here years you must know that worrying about spec details is more important than fit!!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which would you choose?’ is closed to new replies.