Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Which winter gloves?
  • krixmeister

I’m a complete wuss on the bike once my feet and hands get cold. Got feet mostly sorted with some OMW boots, now looking for similarly excessively warm and dry gloves

For those of you with warm hands who say “get warmed up and you’ll be fine” – I say go back to your good circulation cozy holes. I need the gloves that make your hands feel like they are on fire!

Looking at these three, open to other options. Being in Scotland, waterproofness espeically after a few hours in cold rain is important.

* Castelli Spettacolo Ros (zipper on top gives me concerns re waterproofness)

* Spatz THRMOZ deep winter gloves (they look good but are they really warm? Seem thinnest of the lot)

* Sealskinz heated winter gloves (does the heating function actually work?)

Any reviews of the above, recommendations of what you have, or suggestions about why I’m wrong?

bsims
    Free Member

I dont suffer like you describe but I get cold fingers. I have found that my Madison Avalanch are good.

You can get them in black which they dont look too bad off the bike, so at the price could be worth a try even if they are not up to a proper Scottish winter for you on the bike.

Last winter was not that cold and they were too warm.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Excessively warm you say?.

Glacier perfect curves, or Pogies.

krixmeister

I should have said – this is to go along with the pogies I already have!

scotroutes

Pop a  couple of those “rechargeable” gel handwarmers in your pogies?

TBH I find pogies so warm that I can’t imagine needing thick gloves too.

Northwind

OK so, I have terrible circulation- 35 years of diabetes plus all my family that aren’t diabetic, also have bad circulation- but even then, pogies plus my Fox Sidewinder Polars are good for all conditions I’ll ever ride a bike in. The Sidewinders are completely weird gloves, they’re made of a warm material but have no wind protectio- in fact, they’re vented- so they’re not actually warm gloves at all, without pogies they’re more or less an autumn glove despite the name. But with the pogie protection they work more or less like a really thick glove liner, with the pogies doing the actual gloving, and they’re mind.

Otherwise, like nobeer said, Perfect Curves. Amazingly warm, and completely truly waterproof, which is such a bonus- fall off in the mud? Don’t care. Have a snowball fight? Why not. Dirty hands after you fell off? Wash them in a stream. It’s all good.

On the other hand, teh insides quickly smell like something’s died in them, it’s comically horrible. And they’re kind of hard to wash, or rather, they’re hard to dry, because of being completely waterproof- moisture gets stuck in the fingers if you’re not careful. But I couldn’t be without mine now.

dyna-ti

Anything heated – Wow Im an even bigger wuss than the OP 😆

No actually i’ve Raynaud’s in a couple of fingers that seemingly for no reason go ice cold(A bit disconcerting actually)
    Last winter the fingers were freezing, and the BBB aquashield gloved did little to heat them up.

Glacier perfect curves,

I’ve just seen these advertised of all places in a window cleaners supplier. Given the nature of that job, that has to be a strong recommendation

plus-one

Planet X lobster gloves. Best £14.99 I ever spent 3 years ago still going strong!

lunge

The Galibier gloves are good, but a size up and buy some silk liner gloves to go underneath.
    The other option is to throw some money at some Hestra ski gloves. You’ll lose some feel but you won’t get cold hands.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve just seen these advertised of all places in a window cleaners supplier. Given the nature of that job, that has to be a strong recommendation

When I bought them, mibbe 5 or 6 years ago, that was the only place that sold them!.

honeybadgerx

A random solution from winter climbing days is to take some cheap, thick, long woolen socks, cut the toes off and use them as arm warmers. It helps keep the blood warm going to your hands but doesn’t make your body overheat. That and as mentioned above, taping some (ideally re-useable) handwarmers to your wrists.

footflaps

Pretty sure outdoor research sell wrist wraps for exactly that purpose, bridging between thermal top and the glove to keep blood circulation in the wrist fully open.

EDIT: Found them: https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/gloves-mitts/thermal-gloves-and-mitts/power-liner-wrist-gaiter/

Northwind

dyna-ti
    Free Member

Yep, I think they’re originally for winter kayaking etc but when they first came to the UK it was all about teh window cleaning, it was the only glove in their whole line I could find here and only from window cleaner’s shops.

The Bristol Bay is a reasonable alternative, it has a grippy palm which is nicer for feel, but it lacks the pre-curving that makes the perfect curve so nice on the bike. so I relegated mine to bike washing/trailbuilding etc. The Kenai might be worth a try too, not tried those.

I should have said, teh main drawback is that you’ve got a 2mm rubber palm, so you’re just not as connected to the bike. It’s a lot like having really fat foam grips on, like an ESI Extra Chunky or something. I’m sure some folks will hate it- for me, it feels weird but I can deal with it easily- it’s weird but compared to “can’t really feel the brakes” it’s much better. Mad enduro racing in kinlochleven in November, or night dh races at inners, no bother.

qwerty
    Free Member

You could also add some arm warmers to your armoury in order to keep your hands warm.

swanny853

Gore gore-tex thermo gloves are the best ‘absolutely foul weather’ gloves I’ve had. They fulfill the very waterproof requirement- hands have only got wet from water soaking down the sleeves, including in snow. The party trick though is that they’re still really rather breathable and dexterous enough not to drive you insane. They’re warm enough I can only wear them once you’re into ‘ice on the puddles’ weather and even then they’re toasty.

hooli

As above, I get cold hands and feet and the Planet X lobster gloves are too warm for me. I had a couple of rides in the snow 2 years back and even then I had to take them off as they were just too hot.

mrb123
    Free Member

Galibier Barrier gloves down to about freezing. Lobsters for anything below.

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ve used Aldi ski gloves for years now, and they take care of my, normally numb, hands a treat.
    No probs using gears, brakes, dropper etc. Even the E-bike is ok.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/inoc-black-ski-gloves/p/802526420779301

mudfish

Specialized Element Gore Windstopper [especially the 2.0 semi lobster version] with thin silk glove liners [ooh madam] seem toasty to me.

scc999

Pogies.

https://www.hotpog.co.uk/

I got the Classic Pogies.
    I ALWAYS get cold hands. Always.
    Except not with these. I could only wear normal gloves when using them and only when it was properly icy. If it was just very cold then I could go gloveless but have to have some gloves in my pockets so I could throw them on to keep my hands warm when we stopped.

Seriously, I cannot recommend them enough. Game changer for me being able to enjoy cold rides (apart from my feet always being freezing – but that’s another battle).

Si

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Which winter gloves?’ is closed to new replies.