Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Which wheel truing stand?
  • tomd
    Free Member

I’m looking to get one, there seem to be a few “budget” ones around £70. Does anyone have a recommendation or ones to avoid?

househusband

I’ve been happy with my Minoura stand – I’ve built several wheelsets using it. It’s the older version of this one at Merlin.

tomd
    Free Member

I thought that one looked good, thanks. Anyone used the Park home stand? It’s the same kind of price but looks a lot more basic than the Minoura.

Onzadog
    Free Member

So long as it holds the wheel steady and gives a reference for lateral and vertical run out it will work fine. I’m still using the one I made over 20 years ago for my gcse design project.

leffeboy

I’ve got the older Park stand (the 7 I think) and it is a lot more basic but it’s hugely sturdy. I’ve built, rim swapped and trued lots of wheels on it now and it works just fine. It’s main winning point is that if you clamp it to a table it’s very very solid. I tend to flip the wheel in it a lot to make sure that it is well centred but I’m not sure I would trust the plastic guide on the Minoura much either (unless I got used to it of course). If I had to buy another I would probably buy that again rather than risk that a stand was flexy unless of course I could actually see it in action

househusband

Roger Musson’s excellent guide to wheelbuilding includes plans for a jig; might actually get around to making one myself sometime – even though I have the Minoura!

hatter

Nothing more irritating than a flexy, wobbly wheelstand, get something solid so that it stays put when you’re working.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Which wheel truing stand?’ is closed to new replies.