Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Which trail bike for 5k?
  • donnyturns
    Free Member

I’m in the extremely fortunate position to have a £5k budget for a new bike. Problem is I’m torn between XC/trail, trail and enduro bikes.

About me: Age 41, 182cm (just shy of 6ft), weight 86kg (13.5st). Bought a full sus 4 years ago and absolutely love riding the local Surrey Hills trails around Ranmore, Box Hill, Hurtwood, Holmbury and Leith hill. Favourites: Yoghurt pots, Barry Knows Best, John the Baptiste. I have to ride a mixture of bridleways, fire roads and singletrack with many long uphill slogs (sometimes on roads) to get to trails. I don’t mind the XC stuff but it’s always to get to the downhill trails. I’m keen to push myself further/higher with jumps and go faster downhill generally. Heading to BikePark Wales in Sept, although that’s probably a once a year thing.

I currently have a 2013 Whyte M-109 (100m front and rear travel) which is a great XC bike, but gets jittery down rocky descents and over large roots. Several times I’ve bottomed out the suspension going over jumps. It also feels heavy (it’s 15.2kg).

Basically I think I need something which isn’t going to be “too much bike” for all the XC riding to trails but I can push it hard down rocky/rooty runs and over jumps without fear that I’m going to bottom it out or shake my arms/legs off.

I’m particularly interested in the Nukeproof Reactor 290c ST (125mm rear/130mm front) it only gets a 7/10 rating here but it’s light 13.2kg, and Doddy from GMBN seems to like it. My concern is that the 125mm rear travel might not be enough.

With that in mind I’m also interested in Enduro bikes like the Orbea Rallon M10 and Nukeproof Mega, as well as a bunch of others that fall squarely into the Trail category (normal Reactor, Whyte T140 maybe).

What do you think? My heart says enduro, my head says XC/Trail bike.

razorrazoo

Remember Doddy gets paid to like his Nukeproof Reactor (not saying it’s not a good bike).

With that budget and local area the least you can do is head down to pedal and spoke and test a Santa Cruz or 2. I tested a Rallon last year, rode lighter than the travel it had.  YT mill is also fairly local for test rides.  Spesh Stumpy Evo and Transition also worth a look.

Personally, riding that area, a longer travel enduro is over biking, and the right 150mm ish trail bike will give you the best of both worlds.

daveylad
    Free Member

I wouldnt be spending 5k on a pedalbike these days.
    Bypass the uphill slog and get a levo or similar. Would be ideal for what you have described.

jam-bo

I’d buy a spur.

weeksy

Mine says something like the Rallon, in a 27.5 flavour, i can’t be doing with big wheel 29ers, i don’t approve.

bruneep

What is probably more relevant is, when do you want it and what is available? I’ve had a new frame on order since December 2020 for delivery in June, looks like that will be pushed back a few weeks yet.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

The ralon is a big enduro bike, although I’ve seen it climb well in the peaks, maybe the rider. Consider the orbea occam 150/140 (fox36 upgrade).
    I’ve gone from a 5010 v2 to the occam, the 5010 was definately lighter and faster in the woods, but point the occam downhill and a straighter line, once it gets going it’s faster and more composed.
    Uphill they are both efficient climbers, with the 12 speed shimano I’m climbing techier stuff far easier than my old 11 speed on 5010.
    140mm rear travel feels big.

A tallboy short travel trail bike maybe a good option by Santa Cruz,

Ps. Can you order any of these bikes,

lookmumnohands

I was after the same thing last year and with your budget the Transition Spur was what I would have bought if I could find one. It gets rave reviews everywhere and on the forums from owners.

I didn’t have your budget though and bought a YT Izzo Pro and I’m delighted with it.

It’s quick on the ups and flats but still planted enough on the descents for the riding you describe.

130mm front and back is more than enough for me and saves lugging something like a Mega/Capra around for the 90% of riding I do that isn’t rocky downhill.

Have fun choosing!

rickmeister

There is also the Ibis Ripmo / Mojo bikes though perhaps they are made from unobtainium right now …

StirlingCrispin

Orbea Occam M10.

Climbs like a rocket and is planted on the descents. Comes in at 14kg or so. Absolutely love mine for long climbs in the Ochils, steep descents and blattering through the woods.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Surrey hills and no one has mentioned Bird Cycles?

Well..!

fazzini

£5k = 2 bikes to suit both of your wants and needs.

cookeaa

I’m about the same age, height and weight, currently on an old stumpy 29er. If I had 5k spare for a trail bike now I’d either be buying a newer stumpy/stumpy ST or an aether9 with a few extra trimmings…

Heading into my 40s I’m less bothered about lots of travel, I want a comfy bike that handles well, and if I was spending that sort of budget some lightness would be desirable…

I’d also ignore comic’s review scores and Doddy’s paid for dribblings, and try to get some test rides in for myself (granted not the easiest time for such things)…

titusrider
    Free Member

I am a Surrey hills regular and local, know all the trails you have described well. I would suggest from my experience that it’s not worth fretting to much about being ‘overbiked’. I got a 160/150mm trek remedy two years ago and it has brought my riding and my confidence on massively. Now hitting bigger jumps, steeper lines, faster and with more flow than before. Longer rides aren’t a slog either, done 60k+ round Surrey hills on it fine. But I would say weight and pedalling efficiency matters, so IMO get a ‘big bike’ but one that gets good mentions for climbing by efficiency and get it as light as sensible (ie 30lbs ish)

muggomagic

Sunset cycles had some Ripmo v2s and AFs in store last week.

I have a Ripmo AF and ride in the SH as often as possible and for me it’s the perfect bike as it blurs that line between long travel trail bike and mini enduro bike. It’s a great climber for the weight and travel too, so with your budget I would imagine the carbon version would be even better.

A mate of mine has the Occam and loves it and it sure is a pretty looking bike.

TBF there are loads of fantastic bikes out there at that price so personally I’d shop around and see what is in stock and just grab one.

thepurist

Sounds like you’re a perfect match for the ‘Downcountry’ niche – for the trails you mention you don’t need huge amounts of travel so I’d be taking a good look at the likes of the Spur & Izzo (and Aether 9 and…)

ta11pau1

As above, a 140/150mm bike that climbs well would be perfect. I ride the surrey hills quite often, plus other local Kent spots with rooty natural trails, with a large dose of the lakes/peaks/scotland per year – my main FS bike is a 150/160mm 29er YT Jeffsy with a coil rear shock, a mini enduro bike that also climbs really well. It’s heavy at 15kg but the weight doesn’t matter. I do also have a hardtail.

Yak

Bird aether9C would be just the ticket I would suspect. Give Bird a call and you can pick one up for a day’s demo then hit all your local favourite trails. They are not too far away. With your budget you will be able to spec a fantastic bike with everything to your tastes.

lawman91

Sounds like a Spur would be perfect if you can find one. A lot of the confidence people find from the 150mm travel bikes is more down to geometry than travel, you’re just adding weight and suspension for the sake of it a lot of the time. Short of black runs at the likes of BPW/Stiniog or super, super steep hand cut trails like Macc forest/llangollen, I’d be happy riding my Spur on most things in the UK. The beauty is in it’s weight and geometry, it’s XC bike rapid but has the geo to really let fly on the way down. I adore mine!

dogbone
    mrhoppy

I love my Rallon, I’d not take it out on the trails you mentioned in the Surrey hills, it’s too much bike. An Occam would do for the vast majority of my riding and if I was buying now that’s where my money would go.

But for what you describe I’d be looking at something like a Spur or an Izzo. If you wanted to go a bit longer travel could you get a forbidden druid in budget?

chakaping
    Free Member

As above, a 140/150mm bike that climbs well would be perfect.

+2 – and possibly with a 160mm fork.

Something like a Jeffsy, Stumpy Evo, Stage 6, etc.

The Reactor looks really good as well though, and the new Mega pedals so much better than the older ones if you are looking to go more enduro.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Really interesting topic, especially as opinions seem so divided. I’ve no idea what or where the Surrey Hills are, beyond what it says on the tin, but my assumption is that they’re in that relatively flat serene area to the [very far] south east of Cannock.

In which case getting an Enduro bike to ride there seems nuts. Getting one to ride BPW once s year is nuts.

This all the way:

Sounds like you’re a perfect match for the ‘Downcountry’ niche – for the trails you mention you don’t need huge amounts of travel so I’d be taking a good look at the likes of the Spur & Izzo

All that happens if you get too big a bike is that it makes easy stuff boring, uphills horrible and downhills faster. This vicious circle continues until the point where the following actually seems like good advice:

Bypass the uphill slog and get a levo or similar.

_—-

Orbea Occam M10.

Climbs like a rocket and is planted on the descents. Comes in at 14kg or so. Absolutely love mine for long climbs in the Ochils, steep descents and blattering through the woods.

I got a M10 just before Christmas and have mixed feelings about it. As above, it is a thing of beauty downhill, but I would never describe it as climbing like a rocket. It’s just too big and long for that.
    I was always planning to buy something 130mm at both ends but then bought the Occam after using one in the Lakes for three days. For most of my riding in the Peak District and Scotland it is too much bike. It’s only when I do tech rocky descents in the Lakes that I feel it’s the right bike. The idea of going up to a Rallon for SH seems bonkers.

Having said which, I am very much an XC, wheels on ground type of guy, so appreciate your circumstances are different.

intheborders
    Free Member

My concern is that the 125mm rear travel might not be enough.

You mentioned rocks, where exactly do you find any of those in the Surrey Hills?

I use to be South East based, but now live in the Tweed Valley – we’ve rocks and seriously touch/steep trails on a totally different scale to the Surrey Hills. My Cotic Flaremax with 120mm travel is more than good enough, I’d look to be not ‘over-biked’.

chiefgrooveguru

“ I’ve no idea what or where the Surrey Hills are, beyond what it says on the tin, but my assumption is that they’re in that relatively flat serene area to the [very far] south east of Cannock.”

They’re only little hills but they have plenty of steep moments and sizeable jumps and drops and enough roots and rocks to justify a big bike. But conversely, as with pretty much all riding, if you’re not racing you could do it on a hardtail etc.

“The idea of going up to a Rallon for SH seems bonkers.”

So useful based on your previous statements. Would any fish like to contribute their equally well-informed suggestions on bicycles to ride?

chakaping
    Free Member

The idea of going up to a Rallon for SH seems bonkers.

You certainly can use an enduro bike properly in the Surrey Hills if you’re so inclined, it’s probably best not to give too firm an opinion if you’ve not even ridden there.

But a trail bike will be a better all-rounder to handle the trails the OP likes now and allow him/her to stretch a bit as well as handling BPW etc.

You mentioned rocks, where exactly do you find any of those in the Surrey Hills?

There are a few IIRC, but it might be sensitive so I won’t say where. However the OP was talking about taking the bike to Wales as well.

corroded
    Free Member

For that type of riding I’d spend the budget on a Tallboy or an equivalent. I just find shorter travel bikes much more fun and the Surrey Hills are not exactly Whistler or Finale.

chiefgrooveguru

“You mentioned rocks, where exactly do you find any of those in the Surrey Hills?”

That would be on the more eroded trails that cut through to the sandstone of the Greensand Ridge or through to the chalk and flint of the North Downs. It’s not rocky like the Peak District but it’s not just smooth loam.

Superficial
    Free Member

In my mind, the jump from 140-150mm to 160-170mm is where bikes start to become unwieldy on gentler terrain.

150mm trail bikes are pretty decent for general riding but you could also take them to the Alps or Scotland for a week and hammer some uplifted trails. When you go down to 120mm you lose some of that versatility. When you go up to 160mm+ you’re dragging dead weight around unless you only ever ride really choppy stuff.

150mm. Goldilocks. Hightower.

argee

I’d say buy the bike for what you want to do, now what you currently do, so with that in mind, you sound like you’re wanting to progress jumping and hit stuff with more features, whilst at the same time not hugely interested in going for 20 milers round XC woodlands or the likes, i’d point you towards a trail bike, so 150/140 style with the geometry to suit. The reason for this is if you are hitting bigger and bigger stuff over the next couple of years, having that extra 20mm rear travel lets you progress a little easier, yes you see guys hitting big stuff on hardtails, but they have practiced through the years to soak up the impacts and not get ragdolled on harsh landings.

Reality is that most bikes are pretty similar these days, so many good ones in the trail category, you have big ones from all the companies, Spesh Stumpy, even the Stumpy evo if you wanted that more travel trail bike, Orbea Occam is lovely, YT Jeffsy, Transition Scout/sentinel, etc, etc, could name 30 bikes you could easily go for in that price bracket that once set up for you would feel immense.

I’d spend a little time narrowing down what you want, do you want 27.5 or 29, do you want carbon frame or better spec, do you want a niche frame and lower spec, what geometry do you want, how much standover/reach/seatpost drop and so on, looks play a big part as well, you have to like the look for it to work, i’d start there and come up with a shortlist of what you like the look off, then see if you can throw a leg over them for a play, honestly this forum is great, loads in your area would be happy to let you scuttle round for 10 minutes to get a feel of a bike, same with shops.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

£5k = 2 bikes to suit both of your wants and needs.

IMHO this doesn’t really work unless you have two really discrete, different use cases at opposite ends of the spectrum.. You end up with two cheaper [ yes I know, not actually cheap] bikes which are reasonable/ good within their niche but nothing that covers the middle ground.
    You can’t decide which one to take if you go on a dual use trip.
    You’re worried about the second one getting nicked when you’re out on the first one.
    Because you’re only using each bike half the time it takes longer for issues to arise, which means you’re twice as likely to be outside warranty period.
    Etc etc

Fair enough, if one use case is light XC, and the other is uplifted DH then fill your boots. But if one use case is normal mountain biking in your local area, and the other is gnarrly jumps and tech that you have to pedal up then just get one single expensive longer travel bike that does it all. Because it cost twice what the cheap XC bike does it is likely to have much better kit and so be not too much heavier.

joe-m

If I was you I’d be after a Transition Spur, I’ll likely never have 5K to spend on a bike so I can’t see myself owning one. I say this as the very happy owner of a Nukeproof Mega, but A) I live in a completely different part of the country to you and have access to both the lakes and tweed valley for day trips and reasonably steep woody trails for evening short day rides, B) I brought it with the intention of using it on uplift days at DH tracks which it does beautifully, C) I’ve kept a hard tail for more mellow rides.

I’ve only been to BPW once but I don’t think you really need a long travel bike, just make sure you have the right geo rather than the right travel.

lucky7500

TBF there are loads of fantastic bikes out there at that price so personally I’d shop around and see what is in stock and just grab one.

This. Pretty much all 140+ travel bikes are really good these days. Don’t get too hung up on weight. It really makes very little difference in trail / enduro bikes. Personally, if I was looking for a similar bike (which I sort of am but most likely next year when stock levels gets back to normal) the list would include things like Orbea Occam (I have a 2018 Rallon), Pipedream full Moxie, Bird Aeris, Cotic & Santa Cruz equivalent models, top spec Sonder Evol.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

However the OP was talking about taking the bike to Wales as well.

Yeah, once a year. Compromising his everyday riding for that is crazy.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, once a year. Compromising his everyday riding for that is crazy.

Not as crazy as giving advice on a riding area you know nothing about.

muggomagic

There is definitely stuff in the SH that I wouldn’t ride even if I was on a DH bike.

The trails the OP mentioned above would be perfectly fine on something like a Spur or an Izzo (good luck finding either though).
    If I were in your position I would ring round or look on the net to find what bikes are available this side of Christmas and then decide which is best suited from those.

Yak

Utimately a 130/140mm trail bike or thereabouts is going to be fine and it will just be a tyre or maybe a wheel swap to take it from local loamy/rooty trails to holiday rock smashing.

Stock is low everywhere, so demo what you can now and then get an order in.

Furious

Sounds like a Spur would be perfect if you can find one. A lot of the confidence people find from the 150mm travel bikes is more down to geometry than travel, you’re just adding weight and suspension for the sake of it a lot of the time. Short of black runs at the likes of BPW/Stiniog or super, super steep hand cut trails like Macc forest/llangollen, I’d be happy riding my Spur on most things in the UK. The beauty is in it’s weight and geometry, it’s XC bike rapid but has the geo to really let fly on the way down. I adore mine!

^^ I couldn’t put it better myself

I :heart: my Spur. Best MTB I’ve ever owned for UK riding

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Just out of interest… The people that advocate a 160 Enduro bike for SH, what do they use for Lakes, Finale, Alps etc?

—-+

loads in your area would be happy to let you scuttle round for 10 minutes to get a feel of a bike,

If you’re up in the Peak then let me know and you can try my Occam

Alex

Without wishing to dip my toe into the ‘how big a bike do you need’ pond, I can comment on a few of the bikes mentioned in this thread.

Mate recently bought a Reactor. He’s come off ‘bigger’ 29ers (like a niner WFO) and similar sized one (Orange Stage 5). That Reactor is a great bike for here (FoD/Yat) which – having ridden in the SH a few times – is similar in having lots of mellow trails, but also lots of really stupid stuff and everything in between if you know where to look.

I think my RipMo (V1) is a bit ‘over-biked’ for most of it but I love riding it here. It’s light enough to do the 1000m+ / 60km+ (including some road) days, fun enough in the mellower bits and very welcome on the steeper/rockier (of which we have a bit) trails. I’ve ridden it in Finale and Malaga and I never felt I was short of bike. Short of skills and bravery for sure.

I also have a Mojo4 (and had a 3 before) and that’s equally fun here but in a different way. it doesn’t have the safety margin of the RipMo but it does make the trails feel more immediate and maybe a bit harder. And I like that.

Oh and another mate has a Spur. Lovely thing, feels fast everywhere. I wouldn’t swap my RipMo for it tho even tho the geo is similar.

So TLDR; for that cash a 30lb-ish bike with good geo that climbs well with enough travel to be used anywhere but not riding like a big sofa seems the way to go. Lots of choice if you can find one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Which trail bike for 5k?’ is closed to new replies.