Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Which Strong 4″ travel Frame?
  • harrybb
    Free Member

I am in the market for a new frame – 100-120mm travel.

I only ride what used to be called XC. Trails, bridleways, natural routes etc. I weigh 195lbs and would really like a Superlight, but am worried i might be too heavy for it. Any other suggestions for a frame only? I looked at the Orange ST4 but am unsure as i have not seen any reviews. I am just trying to get some feedback so i can arrange some tests.

Thanks
    harrybb

richc
    Free Member

There is a huge thread on this, but most people reckon this would be ideal.

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/hemlock

or if you are after a complete bike, a Trance X would be worth a look.

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Have a look at the Chumba XCL, very stiff, well built and very versatile.

Picture ‘borrowed’ from MTBR, Chumba forum.

harrybb
    Free Member

Any more info on that XCL. Price? Thanks

si_brodiebikes
    Free Member

Harrybb, we have just taken the UK distribution for Chumba, drop me a mail @ simon@progressive-bikes.co.uk and i’ll give you all the info.

Thanks

Si

harrybb
    Free Member

Si YGM

jad
    Free Member

No weight limit on Superlight frames anymore.

ajr
    Free Member

Ventana El Saltamontes

harrybb
    Free Member

What price are the Ventana El Saltamontes now?

jae
    Free Member

cannondale rush aluminium 110mm travel.fox rp2 £799 available from a cannondale dealer frame only….great deal.

ajr
    Free Member

£1569.00 for the El Salt.

househusband

What price are the Ventana El Saltamontes now?

Riverside Cycles

bonesetter
    Free Member

Niner RIP 9 😀

ajr
    Free Member

The Riverside website is being changed at the moment so all the prices are incorrect. The new site should be live by the weekend with all the new frames and prices.

harrybb
    Free Member

New Ventana prices put them out of my league i’m afraid. Don’t like 29ers either, sorry.

matt_outandabout

harry – I just opted for an ST4. It was due today, but Wheelies screwed up the delivery 👿

The Dirt review is good, and the few Orange dealers that have had them in reckon they are teh shizzle. And finally, a mate I totally trust has had a few rides on them and reckoned it was fab.

Si also puts it nicely here: ST4 Review

I used to have a Sub5, and ‘5’s (my initial choice) always seemed a bit too much travel 90% of the time. The ST4 should be a tad lighter, a tad faster climbing, a tad nippier and more suited to that 90% of my riding (big hills n mountains n big views).

Mleh seem to be gaining a few, mine to be added….
    http://mlehworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22755&highlight=st4
    http://mlehworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22752&highlight=stacey

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Does it have to be a niche bike or will you ride anything?

My recommendation would be a Giant Trance but I understand they are a bit low brow some folk. 😉

Just about one of the toughest 4″ travel XC bikes you’ll find. Their popularity on the NPS 4X circuit speaks volumes of their strength.

The only ‘problem’ with them is that the suspension action is so good that you feel like you are riding a bike with a lot more, which can lead to you getting into trouble if you forget you’re basically on an XC bike.

harrybb
    Free Member

Don’t mind most makes, put did prefere a frame only as i already have everything else…

solamanda
    Free Member

Another vote for a trance here. They’re blindingly good, not had mine long enough to comment on strength but it feels nice and stiff for short course dh. It’s bloody good as an xc bike too.

harrybb
    Free Member

Any pics of the Trance?

sootyandjim
    Free Member

harrybb – You can buy the Trance frame only from companies such as Pauls Cycles or you could buy the complete bike for not really much more, stripe off what you don’t want and sell it on eBay or on here and make a decent amount of money back.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

This is my Trance.

jfeb
    Free Member

I can’t let the opportunity pass for me to recommend a Blur 4X 😉

pantsonfire
    Free Member

Mate has just bought a Commencal super 4 from Merlin its a beauty and he kicked my backside on our sunday ride. He reckons it climbs as well as any bike hes ever ridden and I can vouch for the fact that it flies down hill I couldnt keep up.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1376&categoryId=129

genesis
    Free Member

What about a SlopeStyle frame? Something like an Orange Blood, good and strong without being huge weight.

bonesetter
    Free Member

Owned a Trance for over a year and have to say it was an excellent bike. The maestro suspension just works really well – as good as any out there. Low’ish BB for stability. Some say rear mud clearance an issue, but I found it to be fine

I’d say you could pick one up for a song

harrybb
    Free Member

I think the blood would be too heavy. I really want something like a strong superlight. I do like the look of the Trance and ST4 though

solamanda
    Free Member

Another take on a trance, including Marzocchi 66SL’s reduced to 120mm.

MBUK style angle

rj
    Free Member

A mate just got a Commencal Meta 4X. Plenty strong, builds up pretty light and a total gas to ride.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Superlight and maybe something a bit burlier than Revs up front – say some Pikes? Does me fine.

thefallguy
    Free Member

there are some good deals to be had on 08 stumpjumpers around, for value for money spesh, giant & trek are where i’d be looking

snotrag

Definitely take a look at the Commencal Super 4 – its an awesome frame, much better than the old Meta 4.

I liked it a lot.

nina
    Free Member

get an st4

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I would go for the trance or preston fr for somethng a bit burlier.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was looking for something similar and ended up with a secondhand 2008 Trance 3 (for a bargain £450).

Now almost completely upgraded with Roval wheels, Maxle Revelation and the kit off my Anthem; it’s light, strong and rides brilliantly (unlike me).

Here’s a pic…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Which Strong 4″ travel Frame?’ is closed to new replies.