Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Which router?
  • fadda

Hi all,

My home hub 3 is creaking, and I don’t feel like signing up for a new 12 month contract to get a new one.

I’m also a Luddite, so have no idea what the considerations are. So:

Up to 6 devices, only 2 people in the house, but would like to allow for 4.

Cost not too much of a consideration.

What shall I buy…?

devash
    Free Member

The new Home Hub 5 is actually worth signing a new contract for.

Its the first router I’ve ever owned that hasn’t given me any hassle.

welshfarmer

For better or worse I just bought a Billion 7800 NXL. Gained speed (2.5 instead of 2.1 mbs 🙂 ) and much more stable than the BT Homehub it replaced. Not cheap at around £70 but when you are as marginal as we are you will try anything to get a better linespeed. Oh. And it gets great reviews too.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/20028-billion-bipac-7800nxl/

willard

TP Link N600 user here.

It’s not bad, but I disagree with some of the software settings on it and the UI could do with being a local IP address and HTTPS rather than a DNS intercepted website with HTTP only.

Anyway, moving on…

sam_underhill

Another vote for the draytek series. Mine is rock solid.

But it’s not really a consumer device. The setup requires you to know what you are doing…. well….. at least be able to use google and understand the answers. 😉

CraigW
    Free Member

Worth getting something that supports VDSL/FTTC, in case you want to upgrade to that (eg BT Infinity). Its neater than needing a separate modem.

I am using a TP-Link TD-W9980, works fine, easy enough to setup. Cost about £60.

fadda

Thanks for your help all.

Upgrading is a possibility at some point – is there an argument for doing that now, and trying whatever by give me with that, before buying something?

Cheers

simon_g

Homehub 5 is fine, nice fast modern AC-standard wifi, does VDSL (fibre/infinity) without needing a separate modem, has gigabit wired ports on the back. Works fine with non-BT ISPs too.

Just need to put the 2.4ghz and 5ghz wifi networks on different names or some devices get confused and disconnect often.

Lots available on eBay, many of them unwanted brand new ones.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Which router?’ is closed to new replies.