Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Which road pedals? lots of float.
  • Janesy
    Free Member

I have Shimano SPD 105’s. Im looking for new pedals with purhaps more float. I love my new mountain bike Time Atacs… Am I right in saying that mine have 3 degrees as using the yellow cleats?

Any recommendations. I dont really want to spend more than £80.

cheers STW.

FuzzyWuzzy

Speedplay Zeros, cro-mo’s are fine but might be slightly outside your budget

warton
    Free Member

Look pedals, then you pick the cleats depending on how much float you want…

cuberider
    Free Member

Look Keo Classics with red cleats? 9% of float.

njee20
    Free Member

Speedplay generally reckoned to have the most. I use Keos with red cleats and find them very ‘floaty’.

Lifer
    Free Member

Keos with red cleats, lots of float. When they wear out I’ll be getting the next one down.

Janesy
    Free Member

Cheers, I will probably get the look Keos classic. Will check how much float my mtb pedals have and match that.

Thanks.

FuzzyWuzzy

Waste of money switching to Keo’s, your 105s + yellow cleats are already 6 degrees

iainc

If you like Time on the mtb why not use Time RXS First’s on the road. I do and they fit all your criteria 🙂

Kuco

I’ve got speedplay and like them a lot.

Gary_M
    Free Member

So will you still want the set I’ll be selling soon Ian?

Times are good but speedplay zeros are where its at if you have funny knees.

iainc

Gary_M – Member
    So will you still want the set I’ll be selling soon Ian?

Gary – indeed….if the price is good and they are nice and shiny 😆

I have been using the RXS First’s since getting new bike in the Spring but some carbon bling would be good 8)

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ll let you know when I get round to buying Ian and I’ll send you pics.

DanW
    Free Member

More than about 6 degrees float is a poor substitute for a good bike fit in my opinion but your experiences may vary 😀

I was convinced I needed a lot of float to have comfortable knees but when I rode with instrumented Look Keo’s I found I was only using 0.5 degrees float!

On topic, I have found I like the feel of the way Look Keos float (i.e. non-centering) and the choice of different cleats means you get the amount you feel most comfortable with.

Janesy
    Free Member

Umm you may be right about the Keo and 105 being pretty much the same. I may just wait alittle and get the Speedplays.

I will have to think it over.

Janesy
    Free Member

Humf just about to hit the buy button for the Speedplays Zero. I assume they come with cleats as most do.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Yes they do.

Slightly more faff to fit the cleats than normal but well worth the effort.

Gordymac
    Speedplay Zero user 😆

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Pardon my complete ignorance, but what is float? Never been able to fathom this. Is it the ease with which pedals spin on their axles?

jambon
    Free Member

Any ‘time’ pedals. The platform ones last for eons too.

jambon
    Free Member

Oh, didn’t see the ‘Road’ bit.

‘Look’ red cleats should do the job, shouldn’t they??

Lifer
    Free Member

StefMcDef – Member
    Pardon my complete ignorance, but what is float? Never been able to fathom this. Is it the ease with which pedals spin on their axles?

It’s the amount of movement (rotational – sure someone will correct me on that) you have when clipped in, ie how much the cleat ‘floats’ in the pedal. It’s how far you can move you heel left or right before you unclip.

DanW
    Free Member

If you believe the interweb then Speedplay are the work of the devil…

On a more practical note why would you want the amount of float Speedplay pedals offer? It doesn’t make biomechanical sense and doesn’t lead to happier knees if the rest of your bike is set up properly (which seems to be the main selling point of them)

2POC

This guy knows his pedals

Pedals

hels
    Free Member

Re Speedplay – from memory no LBS in the whole of the known universe stocks the cleats. I learned this the hard way travelling to races with a friend who used them and never remembered to buy online.

clubber
    Free Member

a couple of things

1. I wouldn’t buy anything from speedplay: http://www.forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=12002

2. Float is not always better for knees, it often just allows for worse setup. Float can actually allow you to get your feet further away from the ideal position and cause knee problems.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Regardless of the Speedplay politics my choices in that order would be:

Speedplay>Look>Time>shimano

(Also a Speedplay user) – Although on my Commuter/Audax I use MTB Time ATAC’s – Tried Time RXL’s and found them awkward.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Which road pedals? lots of float.’ is closed to new replies.