Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Which rim options? Probably been done 1000 times!
  • alanf
    Free Member

I've got a pair of bulb hubs which I'm looking to lace some lightweight rims to, the question is which rims?
    I've already got a pair with 721s on and my limited wheel building expeience has been with mavic rims so the iobvious choice was xc717, but I know the current consensus is stans rims, but which are equvalent to 717s or which weigh around the same as 717s?
    I'm looking for a light strong wheelset for general trail riding, they don't need to be super tough (as I've got the 721s) but I also don't want them to go floppy at the first sign of a few rocks?

warpcow
    Free Member

I suspect the 355 is the one to go for, it's lighter than a 717 but arguably as strong. The newer Crest is similar but for some reason Stan's recommends it for race only. Otherwise there's also the Arch which is a little more heavy-duty, somewhere between the 355 and Flow.

I haven't built a wheel for a few years now and never with Stan's, but a lot of people say they are more difficult to build with.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I recently built some wheels and avoided Stans due to the reason mentioned above. I reckon if you want Stans, buy some Hope Hoops and sell your existing hubs.

In the end up picked up whatever rims i could find on offer that were < 500g and ended up with WTB Speeddisc AM.

alanf
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses guys.
    I've have read that they seem harder to build with, does anyone know why that is? Is it due to them not having eyelets (as per mavic?)

Anyone got any experience of building with stans rims?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Which rim options? Probably been done 1000 times!’ is closed to new replies.