• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by poah.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Which Raceface crankset?
  • carlos
    Free Member

Looking to ditch the Sram DM cranset along with the gpx BB as its doing my head in. The BB’s don’t last long at all in The Peak and when putting in gritty miles.

I want DM and have sofar looked at the RF offerings

My question is, whats the real difference between the Ride @£80, Aeffect @£109 and Aeffect R @£130 cranksets they do.

Cheers
    Carlos

honourablegeorge

Aeffect will take a cinch direct mount ring, fits a shimano 24mm BB, and is generally a really hood value crank. The R version is just newer and lighter. Ride is cheaper and heavier and not sure it allows direct mount.

I ran an Aeffect for years, couldn’t fault it.

nixie

Weight styling and strength.

Ride is cheaper, heavier and not available in 165mm. Affect R is supposed to be stronger. Also a bit lighter. Both aeffect models are available in 165mm. Not tried the R version but the normal aeffects I’ve had were great.

carlos
    Free Member

Ah, should’ve added I’m after 175mm

Ride does take DM and is 64gm heavier than the Aeffect, but both are listed as xc and trail. Only the Aeffect is listed as All Mountain, does it really matter? FTR I’m 85kg and happy with 6ft drops and the like

swanny853

You won’t go wrong with either of the aeffects. I’d buy on some combination of weight and which one I thought looked nicer.

Actually, if the R comes with a self extracting bolt, buy that one.

ajantom

Aeffect has been good in use for me for nearly 2 years, very robust, and has stood up to SS use on a 29+ hardtail.
    The only problem was that the one I bought didn’t come with the self-extracting bolt, and the crank arm kept coming loose.
    I took to taking a long 8mm allen key on rides to tighten it mid ride.

I replaced the normal bolt with the RF self-extracting one and this seems to have sorted it. Annoying though.

Northwind

nixie

Both aeffect models are available in 165mm

Though, I think this is still the same length crank arm but with the holes drilled differently? Bit cheeky that

I have an older model Aeffect and very happy with it. TBH I’m still not sure there’s a single really great direct mount chainring- I’ve not found anything that can tempt me away from my ancient 4 bolt XTRs, stiff and light and can still fit a small enough chainring

swanny853

Though, I think this is still the same length crank arm but with the holes drilled differently?

IIRC- aeffect, yes, aeffect r, no.

chakaping
    Free Member

I took to taking a long 8mm allen key on rides to tighten it mid ride.

Been there, done that.

Bit of thread lock sorted it, but then it was a right pig to get off again.

Got Aeffects on all three of my MTBs now though, so they must be doing something right.

poah
    Free Member

Looked at the affect cranks recently but went with SLX as it was cheaper and lighter:

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Which Raceface crankset?’ is closed to new replies.