• This topic has 36 replies, 33 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Kit.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • which mtb movie for a cycle film night with roadies?
  • tang
    Free Member

some good friends who are well and truly gentleman cyclists have invited me to a film night next week, now ill watch anything bike related, they have asked me to bring a mtb film. i want something well shot (they are architects, designers) and yet balls out amazing. im thinking collective atm. any other suggestions? im trying to convert them a bit and one has got a bit muddy on a crosser so far.

lyons
    Free Member

well, my favourites are roam and home. Home may good, as the riding on there is achievable by mere mortals…

jam-bo

kranked 8 if you want flat out, ball outs crazy stuff.

collective/roam/seasons if you want good riding and hippy dippy lifestyle stuff too.

Fozlett

Another vote for Roam – Enjoyed Seasons too.

MrAgreeable

Clay Porter's films are very professionally done, if a tad dull. The one I've seen, F1rst, cobbles together a narrative around the year before last's DH season, the one where Sam Hill whupped everyone silly. The bloke's narration gives me hives (he sounds like monotonous radio DJ from Reservoir Dogs) and I hate the music he's chosen (overly polished rawk) but it's beautifully shot, especially the floodlit night sequence of the Athertons, and gives more of an insight into what it's like to be a DH racer than stuff like the Earthed series. You can watch it for free in crap quality here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8947017369366051826#

If you can stretch the definition a bit, Joe Kid on a Stingray is a great film about the birth and development of BMX. Tinker Juarez is in it so it's kind of MTB related…

Huxley555
    Free Member

Hmm id say klunkerz.

Ceebug
    Free Member

If you want to show them something that's not just a snowboard video on bikes, why not try 'Home'? It's beautifully shot and has some depth to it…..

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

Got to be something by The Collective, surely?

Northwind

Home, Klunkerz or Seasons.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I'd say Roam or one of those series of films. I've seen the collective but I reckon Roam is slightly better. Also heard Seasons is shit hot.

Might be worth checking out the lastest New World Disorder, they are usually a bit Rad/Sick/Gnarly dude sort of films but I saw a section from the new one and it was shit hot.

fivespot
    Free Member

The Best of Sprung 1-4 DVD, £7 posted if your interested 😆

erbii
    Free Member

Seasons

tang
    Free Member

thanks all.

mike_check
    Free Member

Which is the one with the northshore-trials-mix section? High boardwalks and tree-stump platforms etc!

Fozlett

Mike_check – that's the Ryan Leech section in Kranked 6 – Progression. Absolutely amazing to watch.

mike_check
    Free Member

Cheers Foz! That's my recommendation then, Kranked 6 – Progression!

Diane
    Free Member

Second what Fozlett said – my fav mtb dvd section of all time but then he is such a sweet guy. 😀

tails
    Free Member

pick any of the earthed series. Actually i once showed my mate some mtb flicks his favourite was New world disorder as it was full on crazy footage

aP
    Free Member
    rs
    Free Member

has to be seasons, best all round film and you get a bit of insight into the riders lives.

crazy-legs

A couple of years ago I went to the Bike Night at Kendal Mountain Film Festival. The main attraction there was a talk/filmshow by Alistair Humphries who rode round the world, there was one other touring related film as well but at the start they showed Roam.

Bear in mind the audience here was mostly interested in Alistair's talk but there were gasps of amazement from the crowd. One bloke turned to me afterwards and said "That was *incredible*, I never knew mountain biking could look that good on film!"
    Loads of really positive comments from a bunch of people who I think mostly expected to be bored senseless by some XXXXtreme DH hucks and crashes set to a rubbish thrash soundtrack.

So yeah – Roam or The Collective.

Coyote
    Free Member

I'd definitely go for Seasons.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i can't remember if it roam or the collective. But one of them has pretty cool music (rather than the usual rawk soundtrack)and is well shot.

amosridl
    Free Member

24 Solo for sure. Roadies love to suffer so I'm sure they'd get it.

atlaz
    Free Member

Seasons if you want to show people having fun on bikes without being too "EXTREME SPORTS!!!!!!!!!!". After I went to Whistler I showed the end bits of Seasons to my father in law to give him an idea of the riding and he said that it looked fun and he was glad I hadn't shown him it before he went or he might have tried to join me on the mountain.

sp
    Free Member

Yes 24solo for sure

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Without a doubt Seasons. Andrew Shandro, Stevie Smith and Matt Hunters sections are on another level.

Why not sample a bit for research. Shandro

Lemurian
    Free Member

Seasons or anything by The Collective. Great riding and amazing cinematography. New World Disorder for really stupid "no brain, no pain" stuff.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

klunkersz then seasons.
    make them watch both.
    if that combo doesn't make them want to ride mtb (even just a bit), nothing will.

AndyP
    Free Member

I can't imagine many things worse* than watching mountain biking – live, let alone on a dvd.

*Cancer, and the BNP getting into power, perhaps.

klunkerbill
    Free Member

CAUTION: SHAMELSS PLUG: Don't mean to toot my own horn…okay, maybe I do, but KLUNKERZ might have a little more for the roadies. There is some great road riding footage I got from a guy down in Brazil of Joe Breeze (looking like ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons), Gary Fisher, Tom Ritchey, and others racing their road bikes on Mt. Tam, just before the dawn of the mtb. The film really looks at how road racing was the impetus for the mountain bike movement. Three of the guys profiled in the film were in the Top 15 road riders in the country in the early 1970s. It may not have the raddest hucks, besides Josh Bender's 85 footer, but the film has scored very highly with non-mountain bike riders around the world. I hope you like it.
    Ride on,
    Klunkerbill
    http://www.klunkerz.com

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Roam!

tang
    Free Member

klunkerz(how can i say no when klunker bill gives a personal plug!) followed by seasons it is then.

coolfurcats
    Free Member

It has to be Kamikazi as the first film, old, no SPDs or fullies but a class intro into mountain biking, it'll save any culture shock then any of the Sprung vids, (4's the best). 🙂

takisawa2

Nah. 🙂
    Make them watch…

P20

Klunkerz, then probably earthed, number 4 i think

Kit
    Free Member

Can you buy the old Sprung Films on DVD (Sprung 1-3)?

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘which mtb movie for a cycle film night with roadies?’ is closed to new replies.