Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Talk to me about duathlons
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Am toying with the idea of taking part in one in November. I've not really done any specific training but I run and ride so seems like a good way to get in some decent training for winter. I tried a run, followed by a ride yesterday and whilst the ride hurt, I could get used to it.

What's your experiences of duathlons? Is it better to do a mtb or road ride one? And what shorts do you wear – I'd never run in my cycling shorts, but equally, I'd never get on my bike without padding – is there a compromise between both (my running shorts have an inner liner but its not what I'd call padding nor is it comfy on the bike.

silverfox
    Free Member

I have done a few mountain bike duathlons – the difficult part is the run after the bike as you legs will feel very strange.

Usually I wear Lycra shorts – try something with little padding, the real racers wear plain lycra shorts or a duathlon suit.

cp

re shorts – i've started doing triathlon and use triathlon shorts – they are designed for swimming aswell, so have a very thin chamois. I can't believe how good they are for both running and biking, as well as not feeling like you have a soggy nappy round your nethers when swimming!!

in the past when i've done duathlons, i've just done them in my bike shorts though and it's been fine.

prob wont make much difference whether you do road or off road, as a first timer i'd prob not have my sights any higher than just having a good time and learning – see what other people do. don't forget as well as going from run to bike, you often have to go back to run.

practice your transitions in both directions, and talc in shoes is brilliant!!

cxi
    Free Member

I've not a specific Duathlon but the I've been doing the Questars Adventure Races for a few years now and this year in the Duo class. That's just MTBing and running.

I run in my bike shorts. For one race this year I'd worn my full length bib tights as we were warned the bike routes had lots of nettles and nasty undergrowth. Boy did they chafe when running!

My Altura baggy shorts are fine for running in. One theory I've had is to wear my normal lycra running shorts, then a pair of padded baggy shorts over the top which would make for a quick change at transition but I've not tried it yet.

iolo
    Free Member

I do this every year.
    I only do it as it's for the Welsh Air Ambulance.
    I don't declare to be fit but manage to complete it.
    It's well organised and fun (in a sick kind of way).

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

is it normal for the cycling to be a mass start, or is it staggered as per sportives?

crazy-legs

It's normally run – bike – run so the run is a massed start then by the time you reach the bikes it's all strung out.
    It takes a while to get used to it, legs feel weird the first couple of times. Re padding, as mentioned above you can get specific shorts with thin padding in the right places for riding but not enough to bunch and chafe when running. I've only ever done one and just used normal cycling shorts.

aracer
    Free Member

I'll second the advice on shorts – my preference is to use tri/du shorts – in fact these are my favourite type of shorts to use for running anyway, as I find the padding helps prevent any rubbing. Have however done fair amounts of running in normal cycling shorts, including several times the Sunday stage of a Rat Race (which probably includes a total of at least an hour and a half running).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about duathlons’ is closed to new replies.