Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Which is the best looking groupset ever?
  • epicyclo

One of these Dura-Ace cranks on a classic singlespeed frame with a White Industries freewheel.

mrblobby
    Free Member

New DA…?

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/193724-video-shimano-dura-ace-9100-groupset-mechanical

Doesn’t look to be in the running for best looking!

steve_b77
    Free Member

25th Anniversary Dura Ace is pretty damn nice.

clodhopper
    Free Member

I think really, that the thread was over with the first post! Nothing as beautiful in the MTB world, before or since.

Campanolo had a good go at it though:

clodhopper
    Free Member

“25th Anniversary Dura Ace is pretty damn nice.”

I almost bought that whole groupset from a shop in London many years ago. I didn’t, because I’m not into road bikes much, and it really wouldn’t have ever been used. Which perhaps is better in order to preserve it’s value, but would just have sat in it’s box somewhere gathering dust. I think they ended up breaking it up and selling individual bits, which was pretty stupid in my opinion.

TiRed

Purists will always say Campag Nuovo Record. Personally, I think Dura Ace 7400. After this, cycling was never the same again. The 25th anniversary is a reissue of the same.

I like DA900 because it is nicely designed to be half black and half silver, so one set compliments both (just). Cranks mark by feet rubbing though 🙁

jonathan
    Free Member

Personal favourite is Shimano 600EX/6200 series stuff, just before the grey of Ultegra took over. There’s a beautiful functional simplicity to it.

Plus there’s the bonkers headset lock ring pattern too..

paule
    Free Member

1999 or 2000 XTR for a mtb groupset for me – the matt black 9 speed one

Or possibly (if this counts) a Paul’s Components setup, I know they did mechs, shifters and brakes – not sure about cranks though.

jabbi
    Free Member

Going against the grain I know, but I have a bike with a full M900 group and also a full M9000/9020 and I think (after a 10 min gawp at both side by side) that I prefer the look of the newer stuff.
    Partial to Ultegra 6500 on the road, love the cranks.
    Oh and +1 Euro 😀

Euro
    Free Member

PixelNorks are winning for me atm.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Mirror finish XTR M950 off a Cannondale

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice XTR that. I quite like a SISL crankset too…

wolfenstein
    Free Member

XX1

—–this is the end of this thread ——-

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I quite like a SISL crankset too…

had a couple, they always creak, great weight though

need to make a mid-compact spidering too

nice anodized too

Euro
    Free Member

finbar
    Free Member

Campagnolo Record 10 speed for me. Here it is in its natural habitat (sorry, I couldn’t find a Master Olympic with it on):

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Anything with a gunmetal finish, so XTR M960 and perhaps more recently, the ‘Ice Grey’ Ultegra groupsets.

More obscure would be the late 80’s Shimano Santé groupset, finished in pearlescent white.

Suntour Superb Pro was lovely too, better than Dura-Ace.

Also, I won’t say no to the gold plated C-Record groupsets done for various Italian framebuilders, e.g. Colnago’s 35th anniversary:

http://zkahlina.ca/eng/2014/08/08/colnago-master/

clodhopper
    Free Member

Dura Ace track has to be up there for sheer simplicity and elegance:

thomthumb
    Free Member

XTR M950

FuzzyWuzzy

Road:
    Maybe not the overall best looking but my favourite chainset and hubs at least was the 1990 Mavic groupset

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Well, that’s pretty much every top end groupset ever made covered in this thread. Beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder. DA9000 FTW in my opinion, I’d have to say that as I bought one!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Didn’t shimano once do a limited edition pearlescent white groupset in the 80s? That was pretty.

zinaru
    Free Member

Onzadog – Sante

jimmy

It’s maybe not the best aesthetically but this gets me going for being of the golden eta (my first ‘proper’ groupset except it came with a DX mech)

Image won’t work… Retrobike link

fatmax

Jimmy, I had that Deore LX on a ’93 Orange Clockwork. My favourite bike ever. Just sold the XT thumbshifters last year.

jimmy

Magic. My pal had the same era clockwork, still in his dad’s garage with the groupset, Pace Rc36 forks, smoke lite comps etc… Great times.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

redstripe
    Free Member

+1 for dura ace 7700 and Suntour superbe pro, lovely, light and worked well

aracer
    Free Member

I tend to agree with the 90s Record suggestion – though the 2010 version I have on my bike with lots of carbon is also quite nice. As is the 7700 DA I have on another bike – effectively the same bits as that 25th anniversary group.

plus-one

I’m a dura ace whore 😆

Currently running it across 3 bikes

7400 very very good
    7800 excellent
    9000 sublime

Ran 7700 lovely stuff
    Also 7900 bit woolly

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rdMBPP]image[/url] by Plus one2010, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Gtb47m]Alain Michel[/url] by Plus one2010, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/zD7RW6]Vitus Zenium Pro SL[/url] by Plus one2010, on Flickr

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Love those, especially the last 2. Dura-Ace looks spot on through every era.

aracer
    Free Member

Are we still doing looks? Because whilst the 7400 is OK (if not a patch on the same generation Campag, or even the later, smoother 7700), the 7800 and 9000 are quite ugly, especially the chainsets.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

i think the XTR chainset has got prettier and prettier every generation.

Except for the latest. I just don’t like it.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sante, that was it. Not as pretty as I remember. I think ridgeback had a bike in the old freewheel catalogue with that group and a matching colour on the frame. First road bike I ever had a hankering after.

mrblobby
    Free Member

9000 are quite ugly, especially the chainsets.

You’re definitely not going to like the new DA then!

clodhopper
    Free Member

“i think the XTR chainset has got prettier and prettier every generation.”

Really? I think the opposite. The current M9000 version is particularly ugly. The M985 wasn’t so bad. M950 was a very radical design shift from M900. Set a trend for matte anodised components (many of which looked shit really). I’m much more a fan of shiny polished alloy, but M950 was very good. Love that polished M950 set above; that, I definitely would have bought!

Deore XT M730 cranks were very nice in a utilitarian, functional way. Very good quality metal.

M737 cranks were slimmer and more elegant:

I still don’t think you can beat the M900 cranks for sheer beauty though.

chestrockwell

M900 XTR has to be the best looking with M732/5 XT close behind. Some of the M960 XTR kit was gorgeous too.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

The new 9100 Dura-ace has been revealed and it doesn’t look as good as the current range which is good news as I could be tempted by a cut price groupset. I think it’s gone too stylised and black which is not helped by the fact that it’s presented on a black Pinarello which doesn’t do anything for me either. Nice web presentation though.

http://duraace.com/global/en#intro

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Which is the best looking groupset ever?’ is closed to new replies.