Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Which is the best looking groupset ever?
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

I love the look of current Dura Ace so much that I almost think it’s worth the extra money over dull grey ultegra. The mix of polished aluminium and black gives it a purposeful, minimal and a machined quality that I think looks just right for the groupset that is probably going to be one of the last high performance mechanical setups. I used to love the old XTR for the same reason but can’t get my head around the design of the new chainset though.

Of course function must play a part but it usually goes hand in hand with good design so which is the best looking groupset ever? Does it depend on which material the bike is made from ie. carbon/titanium/steel/retro?

(Please convince me not to blow money on Dura-Ace) 😀

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

I think the best looking groupset ever was Campagnolo Record from the late 80’s early 90’s. Beautifully made as well.

IHN

What he said

coomber
    Free Member

XT M737

mikey74
    Free Member

I agree with you on the looks of Dura-Ace but I’d never consider it worthy of purchase on looks alone.

Personally, I like the look of Ultegra and that is about as high up the spec. rankings as I practically need to go (and ever will, unless I win the lottery), but who said this was all about practicality? :mrgreen:

wzzzz
    Free Member

XTR M900, jewellery

davosaurusrex

I would love a current Dura Ace chainset based on looks alone. The rest of it makes no odds to me.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

XTR 970.

Colour, light and solid. Still have it on a old Zaskar.

Although those old XT twin pots looked great.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Yeah it’s the Dura-Ace chainset that does it for me. The brake calipers are rather lovely too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The new DA cranks are better looking than the Ultegra ones, but that’s like saying Hitler was more of a pacifist than Genghis Khan.

Off road: M900, middleburn cranks & Hope M4 brakes (the old silver ones, not the newer one piece calipers)

On Road: Suntour VX

mcj78
    Free Member

I’m recently starting to have impure thoughts of the 7800 Dura Ace – it’s simple & shiny enough to be vaguely retro but still modern enough to be usable without any compatibility issues (unless you’re totally set on 11spd…)

But yeah, 10 speed Record Titanium.

qtip

XTR M960 for MTB

Dura Ace 7900 for road

dragon
    Free Member

Best would be Cmapag Record on the road or Suntour XCPro MicroDrive offroad.

Nothing by Shimano ever, they are all about function not form.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

M900.

When mass market looked better than boutique bling.

birdage

Downtube shifters look elegant to me, especially the Dura Ace 9 speed one. Function is form in this case.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

For me it’s the blend of form and function coming together that makes all of this generation’s shimano road groups look good. Knowing that it performs flawlessly just adds to the appreciation. I think I always preferred the look of campagnolo until this round of shimano but my bias may have been swayed by having swapped from campag to shimano and sworn never to go back.

ninfan
    Free Member

SUrely it can only ever be Campag Record with the beautiful but useless Delta brakes?

Off road – well, Campag Record O.R. – I still remember the deep shine of a crankset I handled once, and the hubs, man, the hubs – sheer work of art.

Ugliest? Mektronic

aether531
    Free Member

Got to be Campag Nuovo Record, very pretty and beautifully made. Shimano 600 ‘Arabesque’ is quite pretty too, especially the shifters:

mrblobby
    Free Member

M960 chainset was nice..

PITA to get rings for though. Was that the start of silly BCD? The v-brakes were lovely too…

Rest of the groupset wasn’t quite as nice.

ben98
    Free Member

SLX M675
    The cranks and rear mech look really good to me, but I am a simpleton.

hatter

Whilst I love old Campag there are certain items that I’ve always had a thing about.

Old 9-speed SRAM X.O best groupset SRAM ever made IMHO.

And The XTR 985 chainset, lovely lovely thing.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Old 9-speed SRAM X.O best groupset SRAM ever made IMHO.

I’ve a box in the shed with about three shattered carbon cages from those old X.0 mechs 🙁

jamj1974

M900 – thread over IMHO.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Yep that xtr 985 chainset is the version I like. Can’t see how you could improve on that.

For some reason I can appreciate some of the older road stuff but not the mountain bike equivalent.

hatter

I’ve a box in the shed with about three shattered carbon cages from those old X.0 mechs

Yeah, the original alloy versions were tougher, but we’re talking pretty here.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Especially sram x.o in green mmmmmmmm!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Early 90’s Campag Record.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ever since Shimano decided to take a more European slant with their road groupset design in the 90s they’ve churned out some gorgeous DA. Not so keen on the four-arm chainsets, but there’s otherwise very little to dislike (visually. Not in including the price, obviously)

scuttler

Second FunkyDunc’s 90’s Campag Record. The calipers and rear mech are exquisite.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

The current Campag Chorus, Record and Super Record look pretty tasty!

Cheers, Steve

SaxonRider

In concert with Skankin_giant, this rear mech looks pretty darn nice:

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’m not sure about that carbon. I personally don’t like the look of it but can see its appeal as it does scream lightweight and rigid. There’s something nice about things that look like they’re just built to perform but I think that campag mech looks a bit like it’s been made like papier mache.

scottchy
    Free Member

Currently produced? Campagnolo Athena in silver. Especially on anything made of steel.

ransos
    Free Member

Currently produced? Campagnolo Athena in silver. Especially on anything made of steel.

If you just look at it and never have to change the b/b bearings, then yes.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

‘s pretty

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3548/3283697891_2d7fc88963_o.jpg

Shimano 600 Arabesque.

[no I didn’t have time to fix the cable before I used it]

reggiegasket
    Free Member

mtb? – M900, as above.

Road? Not sure…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

bmx?

This melted my 14-year old brain…

nickc

I think I’m the only cyclist I know that doesn’t like Campag kit Just doesn’t do it for me.

Heresy according to some… 😆

jimmy748

whereisthurso
    Free Member

That BMX looks awesome but a being able to see my face in the reflection of components does nothing to help their aesthetics 😀

Just looked at the home page of another popular cycling website and saw Chris Froome’s lovely Dura-Ace group ruined by a horrible 54 tooth oval ring. Now there is a definite case of form following function. Obviously it must work well but it looks awful (not that he should care.)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Which is the best looking groupset ever?’ is closed to new replies.