Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which headphones for running
  • prezet
    Free Member

It’s the missus’ birthday next week and she wants some new headphones for running with. I’m not a runner so have no idea what I’m looking for, only that her current ones (stock apple earbuds) keep falling out. Budget is around £60-80.

Anyone got any recommendations?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

StandarD-ish STW answer – Backbeat FIT. I followed the herd and wasn’t disappointed.

stevied
    Free Member

I bought some of these a couple of days ago:

http://amzn.eu/itQ32cX

Only used them a couple of times but no problem with them falling out, great sound quality too.

Mine were £26 (for HTC) but the Apple ones are £40.

Leku
    Free Member

Bose SoundSport for me. Very comfortable and never fall out.

Flaperon

I have the Creative Outlier Sports headphones for running indoors.  Good sound, good range too.  Not used them outside as they seal out the world a little too well.  Would I buy again?  Probably not, looking at the range of Bluetooth headphones on Amazon for £20.

jimdubleyou

If she runs outside – Trekx Titanium bone conducting earphones, can listen to music and still hear the car that’s mounted the pavement to try & kill you.

https://aftershokz.co.uk/products/trekz-titanium

CraigW
    Free Member

I recently got a Sony Walkman NW-WS414. It has the MP3 player built-in, so no need to carry a separate device, and no cables to get tangled up. It has an option to allow ambient sound. Cost about £70.

mogrim

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px; background-color: #eeeeee;”>Probably not, looking at the range of Bluetooth headphones on Amazon for £20.</span>

I’ve got some of those, they’re OK initially but start to fall out when you get sweaty – the main problem is they’re asymmetrical, the extra weight of the (minimalist) battery+controls is a problem. YMMV of course!

DezB
    Free Member

I have these Armor-X Waterproof

They were only a tenner on SportPursuit and are perfect for running. Never fallen out of my ears, which is unusual for me! Waterproof too, so wont die due to sweat. I’d recommend them.

Never got on with Bluetooth headphones for running, much easier to plug in and press play rather than waiting for the buggers to pair up and usually failing about 3 times, drove me nuts.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’d definitely go for something bluetooth wireless.

I’ve had some Meizu EP51’s for a year or so – you can pick them up for about £25.  Stay in remarkably well, sound good enough for running.

wwaswas

Got my wife some Aftershokz for Christmas (the smaller size)

She’s generally happy with them, there’s an issue wearing them with a hood over as it presseson the band at the back of her head and forces them away from the bit of bone they’re supposed to touch but that would be the same for all banded headphones, I think.

I agree on bluetooth, though – gives a lot more options on where to keep her phone.

prezet
    Free Member

Thanks all. The Plantronics Backbeat FIT look like a candidate … hard to find a product with consistent good quality user reviews.

surfer
    Free Member

Bose Soundsport for me as well. Run everyday and tried lots over the years to listen to podcasts etc, all pretty much fell out eventually unless I went with the over ear hook ones which worked but they dont go so far into the ear so sound is not so good. Bought the Bose ones about 18 months ago and they have been great.

pealy
    Free Member

+1 for the Backbeat Fit. Headphones literally never stay in but these have been perfect – snug enough for good quality sound but open enough to hear traffic. I got mine from ebay refurbished for £25 and I couldn’t be happier.

One thing I particularly like is that they connect instantly to my (android) phone and stay connected, and the buttons work as you’d expect too. So many other devices have annoying, flaky connections that drive me mad – these just work.

jackf

+1 for Bose SoundSport. I’ve started using them as everyday headphones because they are so comfortable.

dragon
    Free Member

I’ve recently bought the same Sennhiesers as stevied, they work well, albeit a bit of a fiddle to get on IMO. However, the fiddly to fit in your ear design does mean that they can’t & don’t fall out like the CX300i do,

I did look at Bluetooth headphones at the same time, but the added expense, didn’t seem worth it, plus I still sometimes use an old Sansaclip for running / gym and that doesn’t have bluetooth. I can’t say a cable has ever bothered me forwhile running.

thorpie
    Free Member

I have the yellow sennheiser ones with the band around the back of the head, they are the only ones that don’t fall out of my ears. Not sure you can still get them though.

prezet
    Free Member

To the folk using the Bose SoundSport – are they the wired or wireless ones?

Leku
    Free Member

Wired for me.

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/products/headphones/earphones/soundsport-in-ear-headphones-apple-devices.html#v=soundsport_ie_headphones_ii_apple_energy_green</span&gt;

I bought from the Bose store and they give 30 days return even if you used them.

dovebiker

Loved my Trekz Titanium until I lost them 🙁 Really good for wearing in urban areas / better sensory perception

GavinT
    Free Member

I find anything with a wire gets snagged sooner or later and yanked out. Probably not an issue if you only run in town.
    The round the back of the neck / head types seem the best at staying put and I’m quite interested in trying those Trekz Titaniums mentioned above.
    When it’s cold I quite like the “Beanie Beatz” bluetooth hat. Not top quality but very cheap on Groupon (£8.99) and good peripheral hearing.

Bimbler
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Baffling.

Cougar

Timely thread.  I’ve been looking for ages now for some Bluetooth headphones for running, after one cable yank too many finally did for my awesome 1989-vintage Aiwa Pipephones last year.

There was a Backbeat Fit on eBay, new and sealed, for £50.  I say “was” because I’ve just bought it. (-:

Cheers.

Flaperon

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>+1 for Bose SoundSport. I’ve started using them as everyday headphones because they are so comfortable.</span>

I broke two pairs within a fortnight just through running, they seem really fragile. Got my money back in the end.

DezB
    Free Member

I thought you had some bt ones Cougar…

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve just got some Anker Soundbuds.  Got a bit of respect for Anker as the respectable and identifiable face of cheap Chinese stuff.  Everything we’ve had from them has been great, and the headphones are no exception.  They muffle a lot of sound and are dead secure – and £20 or £30 depending on model.

GavinT
    Free Member

Hmm I see that there is also an “Aftershokz Trekz Air”
    Improved sound, lighter, more expensive.
    Naturally I now need these. Thanks internet

Cougar

I thought you had some bt ones Cougar…

(-:  I do and they’re fine for mooching around the house so long as I don’t get too far from the phone, but they’re no use for running, they’re not secure enough in my ears.

Akers

Bose Soundsport Wireless for me. Only had them a few weeks but excellent so far. Fit snug and securely, battery life has been aorund 6 hours. If you shop around you can pick them up for under £125.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Ive always had problems with in-ear buds falling out when I get sweaty, even with an over the ear hook.
    So I got some of https://www.decibullz.com/product/new-custom-molded-contour-es-ear-headphones/ these as they mould to your inner ear. I’ve not run in the yet, so can’t comment on how secure they are for that but they’ve remained in place for some exceedingly sweaty turbo trainer sessions.

They also do a BT version but the user reviews aren’t great…

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Got the trekz titanium for Christmas. Changed my commute to work. Would be great to run with.

GavinT
    Free Member

Gave in and bought the Trekz Air – I’m well pleased, they sound fantastic and are so comfortable!

matt_outandabout

I bought some cheap MEE sport wire over the ear ones from an online review – water resistant, great sound, cost £10 iirc.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which headphones for running’ is closed to new replies.