Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • which groupset
  • wurzel
    Free Member

help! I cant decide which groupset/drivetrain to put on my new hardtail

sram shifters and rear mech with xtr xranks and front mech

xtr cranks and shifters with xt

full xt and save some cash for some sexy lightweight wheels <- practical decision

anyone got any opinion on casette I’m thinking 11-34…..?

lunge

Personally, I would mix it up a bit.

SLX chainset, front mech and brakes
    XT shifters, cassette and rear mech.
    Hope hubs

sofatester
    Free Member

Whats your budget? What kind of riding do you do 80% of the time?

BTW there is no point going XTR unless your a racing whippet, a very fast one at that 😀

wurzel
    Free Member

My budget is not unlimited but I can afford it.

I’m around 10.5 Stone and 80% of the time I am doing longer distance cross-country (50+ miles) keeping both wheels on the ground and I’m building the bike with a view to entering some mountain marathons next year. I cant ever see myself entering a 2hr race

If I go for shorter evening rides then I will use my single-speed.

I think I really know the answer but you know how it is….;)

RudeBoy
    Free Member

full xt and save some cash for some sexy lightweight wheels <- practical decision

And the best one. I’ve always found that decent, well-built lightweight wheels makes far more difference than something like XTR over XT. I’d go the extra for XTR shifters, mind.

Wheels; hand-built Hope on Mavic/DT/Stans rims will be very light and fast. I’d have those over XTR wheels, any day. Easily replaceable spokes, cartridge bearings and a lot cheaper. Like, less than half the price. In fact, you could go to Tune Hubs, or simliar, for still less than XTR, or King, for around the same sort of money.

wurzel
    Free Member

yeah that makes a lot of sense. I’m going to go for xtr shifter and also front mech as a mate says its much better than xt and isn’t exactly going to wear quickly.

I’ve read a number of times that xtr shifters are worth the extra.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i recently got full xtr drivetrain (but xt cassette) with avid juicy ultimate brakes and chris king hubs.

it all works like a lovely-working system of loveliness. so i vote that. 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

Until it wears out and you have to replace chainrings at £100 a pop! 😆

foxyrider
    Free Member

I just got the XTR crankset and its lovely – also smashed the outer ring on several big rocks on the weekend and thought oh no – and the titanium ring was not even marked! I think some XTR is worth it and some not i.e. shifters and crankset ottherwise SLE or XT (FM, RM, CASS etc)

nickc

Personally I’m not a big fan of the XTR chainset, just think the XT one looks nicer. Got complete XT groupo on mine at the minute, it works as well as you’d expect one down from the best groupset to work…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘which groupset’ is closed to new replies.