Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Which good value tyres to go for?
  • cromega1991
    Free Member

I’m currently running Schwalbe Smart Sams on my MTB, both 29 x 2.10. These replaced the Bontrager XR2s that came on it (the rear only last 2 summers). I think they were 29 x 2.2 front and 29 x 2.0 rear.

Continually getting punctures on the front now and the back is getting worn.

Any recommendations on a reasonably priced replacement?, or should I go for the Smart Sams again?. Ideally I’d like some better puncture protection.

I tend to run different tyres Oct/Nov until Mar/Apr in the wet and mud, so don’t necessarily need an all year round tyre.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You can generally pick up spesh tyres for a decent price, whatever tread suits.

jekkyl

Yup specialized are great tyres. I prefer the purgatory for everything.

Tracey

Another vote for the Specialized ones. There are still some good deals to be had on their website with up to 50% off

Paceman
    Free Member

+1 Specialized

Butcher front and Eliminator rear is working well for me in 29er flavour.

kayak23

Been running Spesh for ever now. Could never be bothered with all this tyre changing malarkey.

Butcher front, purgatory rear 24/7/365 👍

sharkattack

Another vote for Specialized. Keep an eye out for ‘buy one get one half price’ type deals.

My only complaint is that they’re a bit flimsy for properly aggro riding or really sharp or rocky terrain. I haven’t used the newest Black Diamond ones. Hopefully they’re a bit tougher than the Grids.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

My only complaint is that they’re a bit flimsy for properly aggro riding or really sharp or rocky terrain

I’ve been fairly lucky then, Slaughter grid rear has been superb on some big rocky mountain days.

Tracey

We must be very lucky then Running Grids Butcher fronts, Butcher, Eliminator or Slaughter rear on all our bikes with no problems been flimsy. Daughter has been running Blck Dmnds for over a year in all conditions and they have been fine.
    There is a Grid Trail due out which fits between the Grid and Blck Dmnd.

Edit

Minions on one and cant wait till they are worn out, the Butchers are on the shelf waiting to be fitted

oldnpastit

I’ve been using Maxxis and Schwalbe with various kinds of sidewall protection, and running tubeless, and they seem to go on forever.

cromega1991
    Free Member

Interesting that everyone is recommending Specialized tyres, which take a look.

My winter tyres are Specialized (Storm I think) and have been going on for years. Older than my bike even!

chakaping
    Free Member

Used or new but secondhand for your purposes OP.

You’re not after the popular enduro models, so there are tons of bargains out there.

I have some 29in continental X kings and Mavic quest, bontrager xr3 etc to offload, new or lightly used. Message me if they might be of interest.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I used to use storms, many years ago, they weren’t too bad.

sharkattack

We must be very lucky then Running Grids Butcher fronts, Butcher, Eliminator or Slaughter rear on all our bikes with no problems been flimsy.

It’s not luck though is it? It’s just very different riding styles.

That’s the problem with ‘what tyre’ threads.

kcal

I picked up some Spesh tyres for my new bike – not sure if they were old stock, or what – but Ground Control on rear was continually leaking, couple of times was from a defect – I assume – in between the raised lettering. Then there was a bizarre pinhole leak just on the rim – would be really hard to get a gorse thorn puncture there, so again I’m thinking defect.

Have started getting MSC tyres for the other 29r wheels, and they seem pretty solid – might well splash out on more of those soon.

philjunior
    Free Member

Are you running tubeless? What pressures? Do the tyres come in different sidewall options that might help with the punctures?

As sharkattack says, what works for us might not work for you (what worked for me a few years ago isn’t what I’d choose these days except for special occasions), and what one person considers good value might be ridiculously pricey to you.

Punctures on the front is unusual, sometimes I’ve had multiple punctures and it’s been one issue giving them all – with tubes it can be a slightly damaged casing managing to cut the tube over a few weeks, without it can be damage to the tyre that needs a plug or patch in.

bigfoot
    Free Member

Minions on one and cant wait till they are worn out, the Butchers are on the shelf waiting to be fitted

for me i much prefer the minions to butchers. needed a new rear tyre for last weekend and decided to try a michelin wild enduro, i know its hard to judge when a new tyre replaces an old one but a weekends riding on it convinced me to get the front wild enduro when the DHF needs replacing. think i paid £35 for the rear tyre.

devash
    Free Member

Specialized Purgatory front, Ground Control rear has always been a fit and forget 3 seasons combo for me for general XC / trail riding. There’s some cracking deals on Specialized tyres at the moment if you shop around. The grid versions are worth the small weight penalty if going tubeless.

Butcher front / Purg rear if you are a more gravity focussed rider.

bsims
    Free Member

Got a Ground Control on the back of my general duties bike, has lasted really well especially considering the amount of tarmac it sees, it’s a bit of a jack of all trades on the back. I would get another. Also the cheapest ‘proper tyre’ I have bought.

LAT

on-one smorgasbord is £15. They also have Maxxis aggressors for £20. There are other bargains, but theses stood out.

Personally, I prefer the smorgasbord to butcher and purgatory. The grid casings I used were not hard wearing. They may have changed since I used them in 2014.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

You can get 3C minions in the big sizes (above 2.3) for about 40 quid from bike discount at the moment. I call that good value.

molgrips
    Free Member

Whatever decent tyre is on offer.

cromega1991
    Free Member

Are you running tubeless? What pressures? Do the tyres come in different sidewall options that might help with the punctures?

As sharkattack says, what works for us might not work for you (what worked for me a few years ago isn’t what I’d choose these days except for special occasions), and what one person considers good value might be ridiculously pricey to you.

Punctures on the front is unusual, sometimes I’ve had multiple punctures and it’s been one issue giving them all – with tubes it can be a slightly damaged casing managing to cut the tube over a few weeks, without it can be damage to the tyre that needs a plug or patch in.

Running about 35 PSI at the moment with tubes.

Thinking back I’ve had four punctures since early June on the front and yet to find the cause. Deffo time for a new tyre I think.

bigfoot
    Free Member

You can get 3C minions in the big sizes (above 2.3) for about 40 quid from bike discount at the moment. I call that good value.

before going for the wild enduro i was going to try a DHR2 2.4 exo+ but couldn’t find one, they are listing it as in stock but at £62 i wouldn’t of bothered anyway. they do seem to be listing otheres at quite good prices though.

matt_outandabout

One One often have silly cheap Vittoria deals on.
    For example
    https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYGEGO29/vittoria-goma-29-inch-folding-tyre

I got two 27.5 Goma TNT’s with a free camelback water bottle for £16…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Loved a Butcher/Slaughter combo on the Jekyll.

edhornby

Chunky front, smorg rear.

Lummox

On one chunky monkey for front and smorgasboard on the rear, or if you have a smidge more I’ve been having good luck with WTB’s of various type.

endomick
    Free Member

Don’t buy specialized 2bliss,sidewalls are weak as, great value but rip very easily and are a pain to get off. Grid and dh versions are a lot tougher but doesn’t Loic Bruni and Finn Iles use blacked out Maxxis, that tells you a lot about specialized tyres. Buy maxxis, conti or schwalbe when on offer.

hedfree
    Free Member

I have been using Bontrager Tyres for the last few years, they are made by Maxxis,
    The Se series are super tough walks and give good rock protection and have a great wearing tread.
    The XR series are a little lighter and less aggressive.
    Usually pick them up pretty cheap compared to Maxxis, Schwalbe etc.
    Also ranSpecialized Butchers they were pretty good.

sharkattack

doesn’t Loic Bruni and Finn Iles use blacked out Maxxis, that tells you a lot about specialized tyres

It tells us that Specialized doesn’t have any 29″ DH tyres for those front wheels yet.

endomick
    Free Member

Sharky you’re so argumentative, always nit picking other people’s comments, as for my comment, its naive of you to think that’s the only reason, I can buy butcher bd,grid, slaughter grid hillbilly bd, grid, purgatory grid, in 29″ 2.3 Bruni’s preferred size, but they can’t manage to put a downhill casing on for a world champ. No excuses really, they should have had prototypes already running last year, or maybe the boys just prefer maxxis.

geex
    Free Member

He’s not argumentative or nitpicking.
    He’s right.

Everything you just typed is naive.

sharkattack

Sharky you’re so argumentative, always nit picking other people’s comments

I think you’re mistaking me for someone else! I make a point of not getting into back-and-forths on here.

Just look at the recent press releases for the new Demo 29. The bike has BD ‘enduro’ tyres in every picture. There just isn’t a 29″ DH tyre yet. Specialized sponsorship is for frames and tyres so I guarantee they’ll have Bruni and Iles back on factory rubber as soon as they can.

endomick
    Free Member

Apologies sharkattack, I may have took it the wrong way, but as you say spesh sponsorship is for frames and tyres, so they’ve failed on half of the deal this season then press released Demo29 with enduro tyres, you must admit that’s not great, at the end of the day something hasn’t gone to plan, it’s all speculation, nobody really knows, and the blacked out rear minions only adds fuel to the fire. At least we agree on the flimsy sidewalls, but they don’t get my vote. Maybe minions are the answer to the original question, but who rattled Geex’s cage.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Which good value tyres to go for?’ is closed to new replies.