Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Which Garmin? Maps, Trailforks and Shimano Steps if possible?
  • yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Looking for a new Garmin to replace an Edge Touring which was stolen.

I’d like to be able to see a map on it, follow a pre-programmed route.
    I would like to be able to look up Trailforks on it when I am out so I can find new trails.
    If it can talk to the Shimano E8000 Steps thing of my eBike that would be nice, but not a deal breaker.
    Some kind of emergency beacon thing could be handy. if they do emergency bacon, even better!

Not interested in any kind of power meter Vo2 max stuff.

Looking to not spend too much – £100-£150 and OK with second hand or refurb.

The Edge Explore 1000 looks pretty good – seems like the newer version of my Edge Touring.
    How about the 820 or 520? Will they do what I want? The screens are maybe a bit small for maps?

Other brands? However I do have a Garmin HR watch I sometimes wear and it would send that info to the GPS.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You might need to trim that list down a little if you want it all <£150!

Emergency beacon functionality is only* on the inReach Garmins, which would be over budget and subscription based.

Trailforks is available on most of the newer edge’s (520/820/1000/1030 onward).

No idea about controlling an e-bike from one.

Personally, I just use a phone mount for navigation when not using paper map and keep the garmin for bike computer stuff. Navigating with the tiny garmin screen is always a bit hit and miss off road.

*unless they’ve added something that relies on wifi/bluetooth/phone signal, but then you may as well just dial 999 from your phone.

joebristol

The edge 520 plus has been on offer for £150 for a while – I’ve been tempted to buy one but held off so far as I don’t really ‘need’ one.

Looks like it has all the mapping stuff you want and I’m not sure you’ll get much better for the money.

PJay
    Free Member

If you find one with ConnectIQ functionality I believe that there’s a Trailforks app you can run directly from the Edge (although it’ll still need to pair with a smartphone to get internet connectivity – still waiting for a Garmin GPS that’ll take a sim card); the Explore does seem to have this.

I think that there are also some STEPS data fields available via Connect IQ.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Lezyne Mega XL is £152 on Probikekit.

pothead
    Free Member

I have an edge 530, it has trailforks built in so any trail on the app will show up on the Garmin map when riding, as far as I know it has an emergency beacon built as well as an alarm that can be set up to sound if the garmin moves outside a pre set radius of a paired smartphone although I’ve not set either up so far, it auto uploads to strava etc and I’m generally pretty with it but I don’t think it will connect to an ebike. It did cost around £260 tho and I couldn’t find any cheaper deals at all when I bought it

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I found the Garmin Edge Explore (which is different from the Edge Explore 1000 which is an older, more expensive one).
    It does maps, has Connect IQ (= can add Trailforks) and does the emergency contact if you fall off thing/live track (I ride alone a lot). Supposedly works with the Shimano Steps system too.
    No Strava Live Segments or power meter integration but they’re off no interest to me.

Halfords had it for £175, 3% quidco cashback and 10% British Cycling discount brings it down to £152 so I’ve ordered one to go pick up.

andrewy

yourguitarhero Can I ask how you’re getting on with the Edge Explore? I’m trying to decide between that and a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. Also, did Halfords give you the extra 10% BC discount? Thanks.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Edge explore seems good.
    Slightly bigger screen than the old touring one. Has some connected features (phone notification, accident texts and uploading without connecting to pc).
    Trailforks app on Connect IQ is only for loading routes from your trailforks account. Think you can download new maps to put on for free (doesn’t require connect iq).
    Can’t get it to talk to the eBike yet.

But overall, it’s a good unit – does everything youd expect and hasn’t been weird or broke.

Didn’t get the extra discount as it was on sale already

andrewy

Thanks for that, still can’t decide though…

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

For me, I already a Garmin fitness watch with HR. So they all talk to each other, Strava and MyFitnessPal. Plus Garmin mounts on all my bikes already.

To be honest, it’s just a good GPS. Easy to use and read, battery lasts a long time. It doesn’t annoy me in any way.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Which Garmin? Maps, Trailforks and Shimano Steps if possible?’ is closed to new replies.