Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Which Exposure light for mixed commute?
  • el_boufador

Hello, my wife has really got into her bike commute recently, and to encourage her to carry on as the mornings get darker (sob!) I’m going to buy her a nice exposure light.

The commute is part road and part off-road, though when it gets wet it’ll be more road than off road.

I’ve a diablo (used for commuting and for mtb on helme) which has been excellent, however way more powerful than needed. I really like the combined constant/flash mode which is great for getting attention on the road.

Any recommendations? What about a joystick? Still probably powerful enough but considerably cheaper. Also how would the Strada versions cope off road?

Ps want to stick with exposure as I have been so impressed by the diablo

Thanks for any thoughts.

crazy-legs

I’d stay with the Diablo. I’ve got one of the previous versions.

I’ve got a Sirius too which is 550 lumens (the newer one is 575) but it’s not really bright enough for anything more than a towpath at gentle pace althoguh it’s fine in traffic.

If you feel the Diablo is too bright, just knock it down to one of its lower settings – it’ll probably go an entire week of commuting without needing a recharge on a slightly lower power – still plenty bright enough for off-road without being blinding to other road users.

whitestone
    Free Member

None! MTB lights are a pain to anyone walking/riding/driving in the opposite direction.

Get a dynamo hub and light. The current lights are good enough for 20mph or more on unlit roads.

chiefgrooveguru

Just use the Diablo on a low setting, and point it fairly downwards like a dipped beam. I’m pretty certain being able to look up and point it straight at drivers waiting to come out of side junctions has stopped them pulling out on me when it’s my right of way. This is particularly significant if your commute has any fast descents where even if drivers see you they’re prone to pulling out thinking that because you’re on a bike you’re only going slowly.

el_boufador

Thanks all, I’d need the diablo for my commute so need another to complement it.

Any views on the joystick?

TheGingerOne

Really you should get one with a road beam, like the Strada.

scaled
    Free Member

I commuted with a MK7 Joystick for ages and it was fine, even for 20mph avg long, country lane route home in the dark type rides.

I know they changed the beam pattern with the later ones but not sure exactly how. I upgraded to a diablo though 😀

Daffy

Strada 1200 (or whatever is new this year) is a pretty good commute light so long as your speeds are below 20mph.  It’s not ideal for full dark pot-holed b-roads, but for most of my commuting it’s fine.  I have an Axis on the lid which is set to flash and can be tapped onto full for the high speed sections.

jimdubleyou

The Toro has quite a narrow beam, and can obviously have the power dialed down for road use.

I use one for a similar mixed commute.

djflexure

I have used the Strada and found it works well. Battery indicator is reassuring, although I generally have two lights up front. Picks out pot holes as long as you concentrate.

Think about rear too – I use rechargeables but again carry a few in case of failure.

Also have a diablo with the small rear light – generally just a backup – usually set it on low flash just to get peoples attention rather than show me the way. Useful for offload sections though.

benp1

Haven’t used lights in ages now (apart from the odd trip back from the pub!)

I use a Strada on my bars and a joystick on my helmet (on pulse). Fine for off road use too. Not cheap though

I have the 1000 lumen Strada

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just get another Diablo

el_boufador

I might end up doing that!

trail_rat
    Free Member

dynamo lighting really is a revelation for commuting.

one less thing to think about and the long way home is never an issue 😀

nickjb
    Free Member

None! MTB lights are a pain to anyone walking/riding/driving in the opposite direction.

+1. Especially on flashing mode! Get a nice road light. If you need extra for the off-road bits then get a second light and turn that off when on the road, much like the main beam when in the car.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I use a Strada (800) for the night and a Sirius for the day. I don’t know if they still have their factory soiled sale but there were good deals on the Sirius and Flare rear light (think mine was £25 for the set!)

Cheers, Steve

TiRed

Joystick is fine, and you can use it on medium setting for longer rides. Point it down slightly. I prefer the beam pattern of my Mk7 to my latest, but both are OK. I also have a Strada mk2. It’s a bit dim by comparison for pothole hunting.

Going to use both Joysticks on an overnight road TT at the weekend with battery back-up.

adcock9jn

Strada is good and you can get a good deal at Rutland if you keep an eye on the prices.

I use a Joystick on the helmet on lowest setting when heading into the country lanes to help see the “cockpit” area and look round at stuff and put hand over it when cars approaching or look away from it.

Not much traffic so works well, Strada is set up for not dazzling drivers too

sandwicheater

I use the Joystick for my winter commute and often a fall back when off road when i lend someone my bar light. Is absolutely fine on both head or bar duties.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Which Exposure light for mixed commute?’ is closed to new replies.