Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Which Curtis would you go for?
  • colin9

If you were going to buy a Curtis, what frame would you go for?

I’m eyeing up an AM7, which I think would be great for my local twisty and tech, however I’m a little hesitant that I should be looking at the AM9 instead. I don’t want to invest a lot of money on a wheel size which seems to be fading from the main bike company radars at the moment – anyone have an opinion? In the back of my mind is the now almost complete unavailability of 26″ parts, and I want this frame to last me a long time.

Clearcoat looks great but I have seen photos of a wonderful deep blue colour.

I’d probably go with sliding dropouts as I do like a bit of singlespeed, but I have heard people having trouble lining up the disc brake 100% with sliders (on other frames).

Also, anyone seen any information on reach and stack for the stock geometries? I’m struggling to compare sizes with other bikes. I could give them a call but I’m months away from committing so I don’t want to waste their time.

I’ve always wanted a Curtis.

joebristol

Worth giving Curtis a call, they’re very helpful.

For me I was considering one as an alternative to the Marino I’d ordered but which no progress had been made on. Then Marino U.K. got involved and have pushed my order along quicker so I stepped back from ordering a Curtis as it was way more money than I really wanted to spend.

That deep blue is some kind of blue candy they do – looks amazing – it’s more expensive than their standard paint I think.

I’ve gone 650b as my full suss is also 650b so they can share / swap tyres etc – plus the forks are the same travel so can be moved between them too.

I’ve not ridden a 29er I love yet – enough to move from 650b. 29ers are almost definitely quicker – the few I’ve had a go on have given me PB’s on Strava at times when I thought I haven’t even been that quick. More importantly for me though they didn’t feel as playful or as fun. I’m sure in time I’ll end up with one that hits the spot, just not right now. I imagine I’ll keep a 650b hardtail for playing on / for the agility – but my main trail fs might end up being 29er at some point.

Mullet bikes seem to be a thing now so quite a few bikes still have a 650b rear wheel – so I don’t think parts are going to die out that soon. I guess forks could be an issue in time, but I don’t see it yet.

Could you test ride some similar geometry bikes in both 650b and 29er and see which floats your boat?

colin9

You may be right actually, mullet bikes should keep 27.5 in business for some time to come. Good news.
    I wonder what the lead time is, might have to start getting some finances together.

joebristol

3-5 months lead time on Curtis generally.

mutepoint
    Free Member

Personally from experience, an AM7 as Curtis frames need to be pushed hard to appreciate their steel tube sets.

tomhoward

Was pointed out to me the other day, If you want a Brian Curtis brazed frame, get in quick. He’s 79…

colin9

Was pointed out to me the other day, If you want a Brian Curtis brazed frame, get in quick. He’s 79…

Yeah I saw this, I was given the impression he’s already sharing some of the brazing workload.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Clearcoat looks great but I have seen photos of a wonderful deep blue colour.

Would have to be black-on-yellow for me, same as the Curtis BMX I had a go on once, at the second Poole Panthers track. That felt like a nice balanced bike to me at the time even though I knew nothing about geometry and whatnot. (And still do not.)

scruff
    Free Member

Ian.

IHN

Jamie Lee

captainclunkz
    Free Member

I’ve got a custom XC9 on order. It’ll look different to the one on the site as the geo is modern.

Give Gary a call he is very helpful.

tmb467
    Free Member

Premier Icon
    IHN

Jamie Lee

Posted 4 hours ago

This is what I logged on for…

cloggy

Yeh they aren’t doing themselves any favours showing outdated geometry specs

Gotama
    Free Member

How tough is the Curtis clear coat? I know BTR won’t do it anymore and when I bought my Starling I pushed Joe for it and it was done with the disclaimer that it’s really not that tough and will need repainting.

joebristol

When I spoke to Curtis they said it’s fairly hard wearing but they can’t guarantee you won’t get that fine rust Spidering underneath it at some point.

The person I spoke to there said they had a frame of 4 years that’s still perfect, but others might not last that long before going that way.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Which Curtis would you go for?’ is closed to new replies.