Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Which coffee grinder?
  • DrJ

My Krupps grinder has started making a funny noise and not grinding coffee. Any recommendations on what to replace it with?

<awaits recommendation requiring log burning, beard growth, home knitting etc.>

somafunk

Sage smart grinder pro is quite decent, i bought one a couple of months ago and I’ve been really impressed with it

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I have a Baratza Precisio. It works fine, but has gone through a lot of spares. Burr holders (admittedly a sacrificial part), adjustment rings, motor.

So not one of those. Unless you like taking things.

willard

Go simple… I bought a DeLonghi one because it was cheap and it seems to work well enough.

bob_summers

Kinu M-68 😉

[video]https://youtu.be/DDV-cP1_0aA[/video]

perchypanther
    Free Member

Awaits thread recommending pineapple-pushers and tree-shakers…

bigblackshed

captaindanger

Hario skerton for a good manual burr grinder

piesoup
    Free Member

Sage smart grinder pro for me too.
    Pretty consistent with it’s grind and can have a one and a two cup setting.

drlex
    Free Member

Came for the bikes; stayed for the pantherisms.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Eureka Mignon owner here. Don’t have anything to compare it to but it’s so solidly built I’m guessing I’ll leave it to someone in my will. Much more compact than most of the traditional ones. I grind into a small glass and then tip into the portafilter as it makes a bit of a mess otherwise.

https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/eureka-mignon-instantaneo-grinder-auto-manual-silver.html

matt_outandabout

. I bought a DeLonghi one because it was cheap and it seems to work well enough.

Same here. 70% off at Debenhams sale last year.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Lidl doing them currently for a tenner…..bet they’re as good as anything else! 🙂

somafunk

That’ll be a blade grinder, suitable for smashing up herbs/spices but quite useless for grinding coffee beans.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Iberital Mc2 owner.

Served me for 5+ years, never missed a beat.

Depends what you need though, is it for espresso, cafetiere, etc? Are you going to want to switch from espresso to french press?

Iberital is a worm based adjustment, and it’s a pig to go from fine<>course.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Another happy Sage pro owner here.

eruptron
    Free Member

I have a Gaggia MDF burr grinder I could be interested in selling if the right offer came in 😉

matt_outandabout

I stand corrected – mine is a Krups that was 70% off last year at debenhams – so £12 for a burr grinder 8)

redmex
    Free Member

Im not bragging but my Iberital takes a kilo of beans at a time if it wants to show off rather than my measly 100g i put in
    It cost me more to get it posted than it cost me but over 5 years ive never done a thing to it just pressed the button but its tall almost 600mm high big for the kitchen but does whats required

bainbrge

I’ve had two of those Krups ones, both just stopped doing a fine grind after a month or so. Total rubbish. Got a bodun one now which is ok but only gets right espresso grind with certain beans.

Currently using some pre ground beans which are so fine the machine can barely push the water through…FML.

CraigW
    Free Member

Got a cheap copy of a Hario grinder. About £12 off Amazon. Works fine for me. Takes about a minute of turning the handle to get enough for a cup of coffee.

simonalex99

I use a bodum one, about £20

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Hey Doc, I’ve got a Bodum Bistro jobbie – think around £60 from Amazon. When I got it (for half nothing from a mate that works for a coffee selling chain), I thought “this’ll do until I can afford something decent”. That was over 5 years ago. It’s still going strong – takes a bit of dialling in to whatever beans you like – but once you’ve got it set up, it works fine. I’ve never had to change anything on it, just unscrew the burrs and give to a clean every so often.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have two Gaggia MDF’s
    One is from 1977 the other 1986 and both still perfect
    Also have a brand new Cunil MC05 Inox that was sent from Germany by mistake but it’s a full commercial one and far too big for home – 2kg hopper is the same as you see in Costa
    If you’re looking at new then the Sage Pro gets cracking reviews as a domestic to have but it’s not cheap even secondhand

kelvin

Still using a basic Braun blade grinder here. 20 years of use, no bits ever replaced. Cheap.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Still using a basic Braun blade grinder here. 20 years of use, no bits ever replaced. Cheap.

Doesn’t matter how cheap it is if It can’t grind beans
    As posted above it’s a smasher using a blade not a grinder that uses conical or flat burrs resulting in a uniform grind.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Ex-lease Mazzer, can be had for (relative) peanuts if you email around. Grinder for life.

nickc

but quite useless for grinding coffee beans.

Only if you’re making espresso, for most other brew methods a blade grinder is fine. besides which, it’s the beans that matter most. doesn’t matter if you use a blade or burr, shit beans will still make bad coffee.

luket

I bought a Eureka Mignon second hand recently. As above it’s built like a tank and is nice and compact. And fairly simple. And user serviceable. And good availability second hand if you take your time.

Previously I was using a Bodum Burr grinder. This did the job for aeropress but it doesn’t grind fine enough for my espresso machine. And now I have the Mignon I realise that even for aeropress you can make a much nicer coffee with a better grinder.

NB there are quite a few grinders that are good for brewed coffee but won’t get there for espresso, so your choice depends on how you brew.

If you want a bodum one I’m looking to get rid of mine and I don’t suppose it’s worth much second hand. It’s in good nick.

onewheelgood

Another happy Sage Smart Grinder Pro user here. Seems well built, very adjustable, very easy to use. Hasn’t really been around long enough to have a view about longevity, but mine is a couple of years old. Cheaper than the usual Iberital, Rocky or MDF suggestions too.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’ve got a little hand-grinder at work. A ceramic thing, think it’s made by Baccharat (might be an Aussie company?). Does my stove top or Aeropress fine at work.

At home I’ve got a Saeco bean t’ cup which does reasonable espresso grind

budgierider67

Do you have a cordless drill? I use a Hario Acrylic manual grinder with the handle removed and replaced with a washer & threaded rod M6 connecting nut which my Dewalt drill with socket adapter fits over nicely to remove all the hard work. Adding a power tool balances out the hipster vibe of grinding your own especially if being watched.

dti

dualit here first one lasted 10 yrs.

kelvin

It can’t grind beans.

Interesting Internet opinion, but not fact, and not my experience. Try searching for “Braun Coffee Grinder”. I only grind beans for espresso, and mine has worked fine for decades. Not as convenient as a machine with grind settings, as you are relying on eyes and experience to get the correct grind. Would love a Gaggia MDF, and will splash the cash if my Braun ever stops working.

MrSmith
    Free Member

DrJ

dd’s suggestion of a Bodum jobbie seems to tick the boxes of
    [list]burr not blade
    not costing a king’s ransom
    scandi-vibe[/list]

kelvin

Coffee out of my Braun looks more like the picture on the right than the left. Grind size is consistant if fine enough. If course grinding, ie grinding for less time, you’d get the left picture, for sure. Thousands of people out there using the Braun bean grinder for espresso, for decades. Great affordable long lasting option. Still, rule it out if you want. Take an Internet generalisation as always holding true if you like. A good, expensive, burr grinder will be more consistent and controllable for sure… a similarly priced cheap burr grinder less so, and might be less long lasting.

nickc

My coffee never looks like that from a blade grinder (unless you just grind it for 10 seconds).

I’m with Kelvin. Sure, buy a burr grinder it you want, but it’s not wholly necessary.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Take an Internet generalisation as always holding true if you like.

no i don’t think i will 🙄 😆

nickc

As I was just making a pot, there you go Mr Smith, burr or blade? 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Which coffee grinder?’ is closed to new replies.