• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Jordan.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Which cheap dropper post?
  • oldtennisshoes

Incase I can’t get the boy’s 9point8 thing fixed.
    31.6 and long drop if possible.

nickjb
    Free Member

Brand X is £85 from Chain Reaction for 150mm drop, 31.6 at the moment but the price does fluctuate and you can often get something off for signing up to the newsletter. Perfectly functional post.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks both. There’s a 170 mm at CR/Wiggle for £89 which includes the lever and doesn’t need a shim as well.
    I need to do a bit more research.

phil5556

Brand X.
    Especially when they’re under £100

phil5556

I’ve got an Orbea post sitting on my bench with a lever but it’s only 150mm so probably not long enough for you.
    I keep meaning to advertise it.

It’s also not as smooth as a Brand X despite only meeting used for about 2hours.

cp

Remember to double check install dimensions of whatever you choose to make sure it fits in the frame and that whatever sticks out isn’t too high for seated pedalling

zerocool

Brand-X

ajantom

Trans X is Brand X.

I’ve been using one of the above travel adjust ones (with a USE shim) for a few months now, and it’s been rock solid. They were £50 at one point!

If you already have a lever it’s a no brainer.

squirrelking
    Free Member

If you can shim why wouldn’t you? I’ve seen enough horror vids of them getting extracted to risk forgetting about it and getting it seized. Plastic shim sorts all that out.

spawnofyorkshire

Trans X is Brand X.

I’ve been using one of the above travel adjust ones (with a USE shim) for a few months now, and it’s been rock solid. They were £50 at one point!

If you already have a lever it’s a no brainer.

This

If you can shim why wouldn’t you? I’ve seen enough horror vids of them getting extracted to risk forgetting about it and getting it seized. Plastic shim sorts all that out.

And this!

oldtennisshoes

How do the shims work with the minimum insertion depth?
    That Tranz X is showing minimum insertion depth of 150 mm – can you get shims that long?

ajantom

I think use are the longest at 100mm – never had any issues.
    I think the min insert depth is more about amount post sticking out of the frame. Too long and it’s a massive lever.
    I’ve always looked at the frame and welds…if the post or shim goes up to or past the TT/ST weld then you’ll be fine.

oldtennisshoes

👍

nickfrog
    Free Member

Trans X adjust and a Shimano MT500 is a great combo at £85 including shim. It would still be my choice at £120 in fact. The beauty is that the adjust means you can keep it when you change bike and want more travel.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Never understood people shimming seatposts in frames (usually) worth thousands. Too many horror stories, especially when a new BrandX post is ~£100.

And back on topic, another vote for BrandX. I’ve had a few over the years and all been absolutely faultless.

danti

Had a Brand X for over 4 years which slowly developed more rotational play but still worked ok, bought one of those Tranz X when they were on offer and less rotational play out of the box.
    Feels just as smooth and now with 200mm drop 🙂

Been running mine with an old XT front mech shifter for over 5 years, adapted from viewing an old youtube video.

ajantom

Never understood people shimming seatposts in frames (usually) worth thousands. Too many horror stories,

Really? I’ve been MTBing for over 30 years, and personally or anecdotally never been aware of problems with using shims.
    I’ve heard of/seen people kill frames with too little post insertion, but that’s a different thing.

nparker

Just fitted a Brand X 150 drop 31.6 seatpost to my daughter’s bike that I got from CRC in the sale. Currently £85 but there are flash deals occasionally – I got a further 15% off so £76.50. Works a treat.

Northwind

Brand X or one of the various other products that are also Brand X with a different sticker on. They’re not just cheap, they’re actually good

lovewookie

<div class=”bbp-reply-content”>

Never understood people shimming seatposts in frames (usually) worth thousands. Too many horror stories,

Really? I’ve been MTBing for over 30 years, and personally or anecdotally never been aware of problems with using shims.
    I’ve heard of/seen people kill frames with too little post insertion, but that’s a different thing.

</div>

same here. only anecdotally heard of seaposts flexing in the shim and damaging the seat tube below the shim, that or folk not being able to tighten them as effectively.

never ever had either of those issues with shims and have been using them on one bike or other over a similar time.

kennyp
    Free Member

Had a OneUp fitted to one of my bikes. It was recently so too early to comment on reliability but seems to function well.

steveh

Brand x definitely, the same applies if you don’t add the word cheap in the title.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks again all. Ive taken @Kimbers advice and bought the one in the link.
    2 Questions now
    1. Where is the best place to get a shim; and
    2. Is a brake or gear cable used for the actuation?

I’m going to assume that the lever off the 9point8 will do.

stevextc
    Free Member

Its gear cable.. the end needs to fit in the little metal “thingy” that then goes into the release.

Where is the best place to get a shim?
    Possibly Amazon, they are one of those things costs more to post than make.

I’ve always added them onto something else for the normal bike places… e.g. buy sealant/chain/brakepads etc. for free delivery type thing

ajantom

USE shims are the best (imo) – buy direct from them, and you get free postage.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks all – shim and cable ordered.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Does anyone know of a drawing of the dimensions of the Trans X? I am struggling to work out what length I need and have always been unable to visualise things like this. Terms such as “minimum or maximum insertion” don’t help me. Is this the amount of seat tube needed or how much post needs to be in the frame etc.
    I know I have asked similar questions before but haven’t worked it out yet.
    Got a diagram for the Brand X from CRC but the Trans X seems to be different ie longer over all length.
    Duh

mattsccm
    Free Member

Think I have just realised that these are longer than the Brand X ones . The 170mm version of the latter has a total length 1mm less that mine bike /leg combo needs as a maximum. The Trans X is 60mm longer.
    I think , if they are measuring the same thing of course.

convert

Brand X – my only caution would be what I’ve just found is the printed minimum insert is quite long. I’ve just bought the 27.2mm 105mm dropper for gravvel/cx bikes. The minimum insert is 154mm which on a 400mm long post is a szable proportion. With my long legs that means I am going to struggle to keep within limits when setup. TBH 154mm insert (120mm of which is post, the rest mechanism) seems a stupidly large amount I reckon can relatively sensibly be ignored.

Jordan

@mattsccm you need to look at the dimensions of the 200mm Brand-x to get the correct dims of the Tranz-x.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.