Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Which chain device for new XT chainset?
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Got the new XT double chainset and am running it with a single 34t ring. Got an ethirteen XTX chain thing for it, but having fitted it with the device as close to the BB (hope external) as I can (i.e. no spacers), it still isn’t far enough across to line up with the chainring. The chainring is lined up with the outer plate of the guide. Maybe it’s because it’s a double chainring and not a triple? Or maybe I’ve been a complete technical imbecile in fitting it!

Anyone had any similar issues? Anyone know a chain device that’ll fit properly or can be adjusted horizontally?

prezet
    Free Member

Are you running the single ring on the inside of the crank? or the outer?

mrblobby
    Free Member

There’s only one position for the XT doube and that’s on the inside of the crank arm.

prezet
    Free Member

Got a pic?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bump for the day shift.

I think the problem is the chain line. The outer of a double isn’t where the middle of a triple would be, which i think is where most chain devices expect the single ring to be. So I either need to be able to move the ring inboard (longer bolts and some spacers maybe?) or have a chain device that allows the guides to be shifted out a bit.

Anyone got any ideas?

GeForceJunky

If you use something such as a Superstar Plasma chain device with the bottom backet mount that is included there is noting stopping you from using some longer bolts between the chain device back plate and the bb adapter with some nice big washers to space it out.

GeForceJunky

Also, you could swap one of the bottom backet spacers to the non driveside to improve the chainline a bit.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Already swapped the spacers over. An adapter with tabs and some spacers sounds like a top idea. Shall investigate. Thanks.

prezet
    Free Member

Not 100% sure, I use the E13 LG1+ (and I’ve had a LG in the past). I know they’re a bit fiddly to set up. I’m using the SLX double crankset and have the ring on the inside of the outer mount. It meant putting some spacers on the outside as you can see here:

[/url]

To get the crank to fit properly in the chain device it meant filing down the mounts for the smaller ring so I could get it close enough to the back plate. I’m pretty sure E13 say you have to do this in the instructions as I remember.

hilton83
    Free Member

The new mrp 2x chain device has been designed in mind with the chain lines specific to the new style double ring crank sets that are becoming popular,i think ison distribution sell them, have a look on mrp’s website, if i go 2×10 from my current 1×10 set up i will use the new xt cranks and the 2x mrp device it looks the business!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just running the double with a single ring so don’t need a 2x device.

Hmm just went for an LG1+ but really don’t fancy filing down my crankset.

Anyone got any other ideas?

andyl
    Free Member

aye just space out the chain device. Don’t space out the chain rings as you want the up against the spider for maximum stiffness.

hilton83
    Free Member

Yeah i saw your only running a single ring, but with it being on a double ring crank i guess thats why the chainline is so far out, the 2x is the only thing ive seen with the new double crank set chain lines taken into consideration, Anyone remember the old DCD chain device? They were brilliant, super silent easy to fit and maintain!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks chaps. Got an LG1+ on order now with the BB adapter plate. Shall try fitting that and spacing it out. Hoping I don’t need to get the file out as these are new XT ones that I may want to run as a double again in the future. May have to Jones’ some old XTR cranks I have lying about if I can’t get this sorted.

kayak23

Hmm just went for an LG1+ but really don’t fancy filing down my crankset.

Anyone got any other ideas?

I also didnt want to file down the tabs on my Saints and found I would have to do this with a Superstar BB mount and other devices.
    I got a Blackspire DSX and the way it works means no filing….

prezet
    Free Member

I think filing is fairly inevitable – I spent hours trying to get around the problem as I didn’t want to file my cranks either. However I either found the crank arms sat too proud and couldn’t line up with the top guide, or the guide sat too far back.

You can see the LG1+ install instructions here:

http://www.e13components.com/setup_instructions/lg1_plus_web.pdf

As you can see, a big thumbs up for filing down the small ring tabs.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm bugger, don’t want to be filing my cranks.

SamB
    Free Member

You could try emailing E13 directly – they’re usually pretty quick about responding to set-up questions.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Which chain device for new XT chainset?’ is closed to new replies.