Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which Boost Wheel-set on Hope Pro 4’s ??
  • carlos
    Free Member

Riding buddy fancies a Hope DH rim on Black Boost hubs, but its not something that Hope build as an off the shelf. He’s slotted in a set of 35W’s with a DHR2 WT 2.4 and it only left about 3mm clearance either side at the chain stay, so he gone off that idea. Wheels are to replace a stock set of Novatec hubs on WTBi27 that came on a Bronson.

Best we can see is one of the build just shy of £500 from UBYK with various rim options.

So what you running that’s Boost and on Hope pro 4 hubs??

He’s wanting –

Black Pro 4 Boost hubs

Black spokes and nipples

28 – 30 mm internal rim width

Cheers

Carlos

SirHC

Handbuilt Wheels

XM481 would be my choice for trail riding, if he’s a serial wheel smasher, EX511

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Not boost, but I’m running Eaton ARC30 rims on Pro4’s and love them. Seems to be pretty robust so far – I’m no lightweight, and look the business. What more do you want from a wheel? The wheel set cost came in for less than £500 – I think circa £430 excluding cassette (went SRAM XD driver so had to get a new cassette too). I got them custom built from Winstanley’s or Merlin I think.

chakaping
    Free Member

If he was after a DH rim, I’d suggest DT’s EX series in whatever width he prefers. They are astonishingly tough and not too porky.

carlos
    Free Member

Nah, he’s not a serial rim smasher. He wants to go Hope hub and run the Maxxis WT range. His current rim is a 27mm hence why he’s looking for a similar width. The Hope DH caught his eye as that’s what I’m running and fancied being a tart and matching hub/rim.

Wobbliscott – he want full Boost hub, otherwise that’s not a bad option

dove1

Stan’s Arch mk3 – 26mm internal width or Flow mk3 – 29mm internal width.

Arch is optimised for tyres from 2.25 to 2.5″ width and the Flow for tyres between 2.35 and 2.8″.

I have been using Arch mk3’s on Hope Pro4 hubs (non-boost) on my FS for the last 8 months and they are great. The tyre bead locks in to the rim very well and I have no trouble with burping or tyre roll. They have endured all the South Wales and FoD trail centres as well as general riding and are still running true. When the wheels on my hard tail need replacing I’ll be getting another set of Stan’s/Hope built up.

submarined
    Free Member

If he wants tough rims I wouldn’t recommend Easton (or Race Face) ARCs. They’re light and look cool, but I’m a sub 10stv rider, and two days at BPW, riding Ard Rock, and some general jumps and bike park stuff, and they’re pretty beaten up with a fair few dings. I’ve read a lot of other people complaining of the same.

When time comes to replace them I’ll be going with an Arch Mk3. If your mate is hard on rims and rides DH/Enduro I’d recommend the same. Otherwise then maybe Arch.

No issues with Pro4s though, love mine. But if he wants matching brands I’d take a similarly pricrd DT350 and 481/511 option over the Hope Hoops. The Hope branded rims don’t seem to get the best write ups.

carlos
    Free Member

Thanks for the input, he’s just pinged me over a custom build on CRC £255.05 for a rear with Hope DH rim. Think he might plumb for that

EDIT – Thought CRC had stopped doing the custom builds? Certainly had last year when he enquired

martymac

Im using hope tech enduros on my surly, they’re 28mm iirc. 29er. Mine are purple hubs, but i think all colours are available.

650/29 23mm id or 28 id too.

i rate them pretty highly tbh.

http://www.hopetech.com/product/hope-tech-enduro-pro-4/

rherbert
    Free Member

hey carlos

have just used crc wheel build service.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>have to say it was great wheels came out in good condition, just need to tighten spokes after a few rides (to be expected). they were fast two days from ordering delivery!</span>

I ordered hope pro 4s, boost, xd driver, double butted spokes with stans flow mk3 hoops. all in with topcashback and British cycling £390 cheapest I could find by £50.

fast engagement. they weighed in at 1850g saving about 300g but as it’s rotational weight you do notice it. the tyre profile is very square with 2.4″ high roller in front and 2.3″ minion at back.

Hope you get on well and this helps.

Rich

carlos
    Free Member

Rich – chatting to him yesterday and he’s gone for a custom CRC build of Boost Hope Pro 4’s, DD driver on Mk3 Stans Flows as they were lighter than the Hope DH option.

rherbert
    Free Member

exactly why i went for them mate. they really are a great wheelset at a very reasonable pricepgive us a  review when he’s got em on!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which Boost Wheel-set on Hope Pro 4’s ??’ is closed to new replies.