Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Where to eat near King's Cross?
  • honeybadgerx

Off down to that London for a conference on Weds and will be travelling down Tues evening with a work colleague, staying close to King’s Cross. Any suggestions for where to get something to eat when we get down on Tues? It’ll be going on work expenses so nothing too fancy (any suggestions for checking out the new Christian raw-potato bar will also be dutifully ignored). Recommendations for where to go for a couple of beers afterwards also appreciated, cheers!

p.s. It’s the Piling & Foundations conference should by random chance any other STW’ers be kicking around for it.

plumber
    Free Member

tube up to Angel (one stop) then short walk to

Angel

MrSmith
    Free Member

caravan coffee (its a restaurant too)

honeybadgerx

Cheers plumber, but I’ll be avoiding using the tube as there’s strikes on this week. This may well not affect the line I’d need/at the time I’d be using it, but basically I can’t be arsed looking into it so will just be avoiding!

tomhoward

If you absolutely HAVE (I mean, you will be shot at dawn for venturing to another station) to eat in kings cross? Nandos?

honeybadgerx

Nandos?

Ye Gods no! I can get chicken and chips most places, never mind the gold paved capital. Anywhere ~15/20mins walk of King’s Cross really.

ciron
    Free Member

I’ve enjoyed eating here

http://www.addisrestaurant.co.uk/

But you could walk to Angel where there is a much better range for both eating and drinking. It really isn’t that far. Probably 15 to 20 mins up Pentonville Road.

tomhoward

Ye Gods no!

Was more of a reference to how poor the rest of the restaurants are….

mudshark
    Free Member

I used to work there and my favourite place to eat was the Indian Lounge Restaurant just across the road from the station. Mainly that was because we could have takeaway lunch for £4 but fine really.

Northwind

Yeah, there’s a couple of good indians around there. I’d get the northern line up to camden and wander around the stables market eating dubious street food personally but it might be hard to get a receipt 😉

cb

mai sushi was OK on Chalton Street – runs perpendicular to Euston Road. Not just sushi, all Japanese food. There are some other places along that road too. There is a Shepherd Neame pub on the road parallel to Euston road (south of Euston Road) or if you like your ales there is the Bree Louise just the other side of Euston Station (its not a long walk if you don’t know the area.

Jamie
    Free Member

Burger King. It’s right in there.

mudshark
    Free Member

Probably best not to go to this place though good if you’re hungry as eat as much as you can kinda place; went once and it was OK really.

http://www.kitchinn1.co.uk/

honeybadgerx

Liking the look of the Bree Louise, I used to get the train to Euston a fair bit – gutted I never noticed the place! My colleague is from Taiwan and I’ve been promising to educate him on proper beers at some point so that could be a good start.

*adds Jamie to the list*

*again*

brakes
    Free Member

Angel is very good for restaurants of all colours and flavours but it’s probably 30-40 minutes walk to the middle of Upper St where they are (I used to live there FWIW).
    for convenience there are a couple of restuarants upstairs in St Pancras and a good pub.

Jamie
    Free Member

*adds Jamie to the list*

*again*

MadBillMcMad

Two awesome Asian vedgei restaurants on Drummond Street, London NW1 2HL

The Diwana Bhel Poori House & the Ravi Shankar right next door.
    My preference is for the Ravi Shankar.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d720396-Reviews-Ravi_Shankar-London_England.html

Do not be put off by the fact they are vedgi, the chickpea & vedgi curries are to die for & the paper thin pancake things are amazing with that coconut chutney. NB: Bring your own beer.

konabunny
    Free Member

Angel is very good for restaurants of all colours and flavours but it’s probably 30-40 minutes walk to the middle of Upper St where they are (I used to live there FWIW).

It’s 30 mins walk from Kings X all the way to H&I! It’s 20 mins from Kings X to Ottolenghi.

If you really lived there, you obviously didn’t walk much… 😛

OrangeOrganic
    Free Member

Honest Burger is less than 5 mins from KX, pretty cheap. Really good burgers and they sell decent beers as well. Recommend.

OrangeOrganic
    Free Member
    ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

What OO said

binners

All you’ll ever need…

brakes
    Free Member

If you really lived there, you obviously didn’t walk much…

I really lived there, for 5 years – within spitting distance of Ottolenghi’s 😛
    anyway it’s uphill and the OP might want to take his time.

binners

then….

honeybadgerx

binners – thanks, but I work a day or two a week in the fabled hometown of Greggs, I find it’s good to eat something else now and then just so it tastes all the sweeter on return. Also, I like what you’ve done with your nails.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Is there an Honest Burger up there now? Some of the best burgers in London – we’re regulars at the Brixton branch.

Our standby near Kings Cross is Chilli Cool for proper ‘nose-to-tail’ Sichuan Chinese. Theres a really good Tapas pub opposite Chilli Cool if you want real ale and tapas.

Ate at Sen Viet a few weeks back – good cheap Vietnamese with some intresting things on the menu. Plan to head back there soon.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

For drinking, this is only about a 10-15 minute walk from Kings Cross

http://thecraftbeerco.com/pubs/clerkenwell/

Nobby

If good, simple Italian food is your thing Sfizio Caffe in Theobald’s Road is good although it can be quiet in the evenings.

matthewjb
    Free Member

All Star Lanes

Yes I know it’s a bowling alley but good American food and great cocktails. 5 minutes from Kings Cross in a taxi.

dknwhy
    toby1

Just outside the station, not great beer but keep a decent pint of Proper Job The Fellow

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve been to Chilli Cool- you’re not wromg about the nose-to-tail eating! Great experience though, one of those little gems that tend to get bulldozed out the way or ruined ny gentrification

shermer75
    Free Member

Hey OP, where did you eat in the end?

honeybadgerx

shermer75 – Member
    Hey OP, where did you eat in the end?

POSTED 22 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

I’m not there yet! Travelling down on the train tomorrow for seven ish, will make a decision on the way down probably, or at least a short list – think I need to find a full week conference to try out all the suggestions! Will be sure to post a review after, in the meantime keep the suggestions going if you have any, and don’t forget the requirement for good beer during/after, cheers!

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m not there yet!

I should go to bed. I thought it was Thursday.

shermer75
    Free Member

Here’s a guide to all the new stuff that’s been happening down there with the redevolpment and everything. It actually looks pretty exciting, if I was in the OP’s position I would read up on couple of places and then head out and follow my nose, check out all the new stuff. It looks good!

honeybadgerx

Right, review time:

We decided upon Honest Burger in the end as we were both pretty hungry and just fancied getting tucked in, wandered in and had to wait five mins for a table (7.30pm) so unfortunately had to wait at the bar and sample some Brixton IPA – Very nice, but pricey (woohoo for work expenses!). Table free, Rib Man burger and onion rings ordered each and pretty rapidly they arrived – absolutely spot on, medium rare as advertised and really tasty. Chips and onion rings good too.

Then decided to wander off in search of beer and headed to the Bree Louise. Normally I’m a fan of trying a few different ales but there was one called ‘Piledriver’ (Wentworth Brewery I think?) and as we were going to a piing conference the next day I took it as a sign from God that I was meant to drink as much as possible of it. Staggered back to the Hotel a couple of hours later!

Heading back to King’s Cross after the conference I decided to get some dinner in the form of a steak burrito from Benito’s Hat (up on the first floor/mezzanine thing), also very good and I’d recommend if you’re into that kind of thing.

Cheers for the suggestions folks!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Where to eat near King's Cross?’ is closed to new replies.