Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Where / how to get cheapest MS Office?
  • Aus
    Free Member

So after my computer failed, managed to grab hold of a replacement but need to reinstall MS Office (only ppt, word, excel, Outlook) … my previous one was from 2011 and the license details are lost in the midst of time!

Not bothered really about what version, but need to get sorted promptly really. Where best (ie. cheapest) to get from? And if it makes any difference, installing on a Mac running High Sierra.

Cheers

TheFlyingOx

There are grey market key resellers on Amazon but it’s a one-time use key. I bought one for a laptop that had to be returned and now need to buy again for the replacement. £22 a pop so much cheaper than Mirosoft although theirs do come with lifetime key validity.

Alternatively what’s wrong with either Office365 or one of the free office-clones like LibreOffice? I’ve used LibreOffice in the past and never had any compatibility issues.

blokeuptheroad

There are grey market key resellers on Amazon but it’s a one-time use key. I bought one for a laptop that had to be returned and now need to buy again for the replacement. £22 a pop so much cheaper than Mirosoft although theirs do come with lifetime key validity.

I did that after recently upgrading an old PC by maxing out the RAM, installing an SSD and doing a clean Windows install.  It installed perfectly with no issues.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

LibreOffice. Been using it for a few years after someone mentioned it on here.
    It’s free and opens all office documents

Speeder

Bought mine 2nd hand for less than a fiver off eBay. All serial numbers worked and license approved etc. No issues with it at all. Not sure why one would bother with anything else unless you’re doing a corporate thing.

snownrock

3.99 Professional plus 2019. I have used multiple times and it works fine. They are keys scavenged from recycled laptops or OEM bulk orders so maybe a bit ‘grey’ but work absolutely fine. The telephone activation is a bit of a chew but works fine.

convert

Personally, I’ve gone completely Google and never looked back, but annoyingly still pay for an office 365 family account because I can’t get Mrs C to make the jump too.

Snownrock’s link might just be the way forward to get her cheap access to MS office apps.

snownrock

I’m the same as you convert, but have my work laptop if need MS. Used the above link for numerous family members.

towzer

I use the free online one (now an apple user and my old had everything xp pc expired)

https://www.office.com. I think it is

Each utility is a limited cut back version (*I assume) but it does what I need it to. Free 5gb in tcloud, I use word and excel (just basic facilities) and it seems to have outlook and ppt. For free it’s great and it works on my iPad – sorted.

Alphabet

I pay about £39 to £49 p.a. for Office 365 Family (I think that’s what it’s called). It allows 6 users so you can share with family (poss split the cost?). It also comes with 1TB cloud storage each. You can stack offers so I usually buy a couple when I find a cheap deal (check hotukdeals.co.uk) so have it licenced for a few years in advance.

bassmandan

If you use office at work you can likely download the latest version of 365 from portal.office.com and sign in with your corporate credentials to activate it. I think typically you can activate on 5/6 machines.

cookeaa

LibreOffice. Been using it for a few years after someone mentioned it on here.
    It’s free and opens all office documents

Ditto.
    LibreOffice For all home stuff on family PC, it’s what I prefer to use now; it’s just like using an older version of Office for the most part…

For work, work provide SW (and a computer to run it on) but I like to keep work and ‘personal computing’ separate and wouldn’t want to dip into using work’s licences for personal stuff, but I’m sure it’s all fine.

prettygreenparrot

I got rid of office from our home machines this summer. We used to have a family subscription. These can be gotten for less than the list price from resellers on Amazon and eBay and probably other sources too.

The supplied Mac stuff we have is fine for the odd letter, poster, and budget management. And the children have had office via school/college/university for years.

If I were on PC I’d likely use LibreOffice as folks propose. Unless I needed the cloud features that MS provides. That 1TB of OneDrive for each family user is handy. But the environmental costs of ‘the cloud’ should not be underestimated.

footflaps

I pay about £39 to £49 p.a. for Office 365 Family (I think that’s what it’s called). It allows 6 users so you can share with family (poss split the cost?). It also comes with 1TB cloud storage each. You can stack offers so I usually buy a couple when I find a cheap deal (check hotukdeals.co.uk) so have it licenced for a few years in advance.

+1

scuttler

+2 on Family / 6 user Office. We also use the included 6 x 1TB OneDrive as ‘backup’ and buy from Argos usually £39 or £49 (alert from hukd)

Drac

Yup family office here too so the kids get access.

scuttler

For avoidance of doubt that £39/£49 subscription 2 posts up is annual.

Aus
    Free Member

Thanks … bought MS Office 2016 for £7 from a refurbing place. Hopefully sorted!

footflaps

They are keys scavenged from recycled laptops or OEM bulk orders so maybe a bit ‘grey’ but work absolutely fine.

I’ve had OEM keys revoked from some of my VMs. Built a load of Windows VMs for testing using a bulk key from our 3rd party IT company. I noticed a few years later than they all de-licensed themselves (poss after a Windows upgrade). I guess the bulk key fell into the open and MS disabled it.

surfer
    Free Member

+1

Any link for this price? Family is £79.99 and individual £59.99.

asbrooks

Saving for later

muddyjames
    Free Member

Are the ones that have to have telephone activation effectively software piracy?

I’d like to get a cheap copy of a non current version but also stay the right side of the law.

phil5556

@surfer https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8837505

I got it from Amazon 2 days ago but their price has gone up.

(Don’t install Macaffee)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.