Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • When you off road ,who do you actually talk to?
  • stanley

I say hello to everyone. I sometimes talk to sheep, cows, etc. I like to give them some encouragement; especially the young ones. Since I got the cancer, I talk to departed friends and relatives too; or at least I imagine I do. It’s comforting.

zippykona

I don’t usually say anything as I don’t know who the person is, just like I don’t say hello to everyone I see when walking down the street.

I did a thread on this years ago,how tarmac takes away your humanity.
    It was a phenomenon I first noticed when watching girls walking topless on a beach in Greece. They would be quite happy flaunting their wares untill they got to a boat slipway. Then they would when they cross their arms to cover themselves up , when back on sand ,boobs out.
    People are friendlier on dirt.

IdleJon

I don’t usually say anything as I don’t know who the person is, just like I don’t say hello to everyone I see when walking down the street.

In my mind I do this.

In reality I nod to every cyclist I pass because when I don’t it’s always someone I know, who then accuses me of being grumpy. Which is true.

IdleJon

It was a phenomenon I first noticed when watching girls walking topless on a beach in Greece. They would be quite happy flaunting their wares untill they got to a boat slipway. Then they would when they cross their arms to cover themselves up , when back on sand ,boobs out.
    People are friendlier on dirt.

This made me laugh, btw. 😀

I talk to anyone, anywhere – tends to lead to making new friends in a few instances

Gravel bikers are basically mtb curious roadies, so wouldn’t expect them to be friendly though 😉 (tongue firmly in cheek)

phil5556

I said hello to everyone today on my gravel bike, and they were all friendly and said hello back.

Even the guy that I saw twice really not enjoying his day out, he’d seemingly taken on a bit more than he’d planned.

wheelsonfire1

I say hello to people whether off my bike or on it. It’s led to some interesting conversations, including with a gamekeeper on the Chatsworth estate. He opened a gate for me so I didn’t have to wallow in the mud! I must admit that large groups of ramblers can be hard work but a smile and some light hearted comments can help.
    However, I’m increasingly just talking to myself, out loud, watch that rock, weight back, lift the front, duck the branch… you get the idea it’s like commentary driving – making sure you’re thinking.

bearGrease

when watching girls walking topless on a beach

This thread is useless without pictures

masterdabber
    Free Member

Today…. A nice lady soldier (officer I think) running with a massive backpack and her dog over in the army land at Porridgepot, Deepcut today. The first time was when I was on a downhill and “going for it” and I called out to her to let her know I was there. Got a really nice and cheery “Hallo” and “Go for it” .

A bit later I was climbing back up via another route and she had run up from another direction. “we meet again” and a little cheery banter.   The way it should be.  Nice.

redthunder
    Free Member

I’ll experiment on todays ride with constant hellos 🙂

One that bugs me is Dog Walkers see you coming, gather up the dog and chat to it with their back to you. I will stil thanks to their back.

Also, dog happly sniffing shit or whatever up ahead. See’s me then back to sniffing etc. I get past the owner and then they call the dog.

Who then goes on high alert and starts bounding back to owner either in confussion or agression.

Why ?

soundninjauk

On the gravel bike everyone gets a hello. Said hello to four mountain bikers yesterday, all of whom said hello back including the 2 who were working fairly hard up hill.

On the road bike everyone gets a hello if travelling slowly enough, or if passing each other at speed then a nod/wave so as to avoid the dopplered ‘hiiiiiii’ as we go past each other while simultaneously smashing our Strava segments.

A lot of which while wearing Rapha!

redthunder
    Free Member

So far I have had all hellos (4), good mornings (4) and a nod.

Blanked by a roadie. Only roadie so ffar

Research continues. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Blanked by a roadie. Only roadie so ffar

I’m convinced this apparent slur against MTBers is just down to flexibility. You spot the MTB’ers out on their road bikes, peaked helmets, badly fitting jersey, beer belly, hunched thoracic spine/shoulders and craned neck, looking down at their stem.

You wave hello (the usual lift 3 fingers off the bar is enough) as you approach, then suddenly they wake up when you’re 6ft away from them and come into their eyeline as they wobble past with a babbled exclamation of “heLL-O”

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.