• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • When you change broadband providers…
  • DezB
    Free Member

Do you have to cancel your old contract? Or do the new providers do that for you? I think I read that this is the case.. maybe
    Or, should I cancel online and start the notice period, and arrange the new one to start when it ends? – seems logical now I’ve typed it, but they hide their phone details and it’s impossible to get through to either provider to actually ask, so I am resorting to the STWKB.
    cheers

thepurist

I’m a serial switcher and whenever I’ve signed up to a new provider I get an email from the old one saying ‘Sorry you’re leaving us’ without actually giving them notice.

DezB
    Free Member

OK, cheers for that

johnners
    Free Member

Yeah, most of the ISPs you switch to will sort out the whole thing, if they can’t they’ll let you know. I usually ask my current provider for a MAC anyway though, it often triggers some tempting retention offers if you’re happy enough with everything about your current provider except the price.

savoyad

Assuming you mean changing between two providers who both use the bt/openreach phone line into your house, then the new provider handles the cancellation for you. Easy.

But if you are going to/from Virgin (or similar) you’ll have to cancel yourself.

Your old provider will almost certainly match whatever the new one is offering though. So unless you are ready to move for another reason than cost/speed, consider just negotiating to stay.

DezB
    Free Member

consider just negotiating to stay.

I would, except –
    it’s impossible to get through to either provider

so I really can’t be arsed.

ads678

Your old provider will almost certainly match whatever the new one is offering though.

Ha, yeah right…..

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Everytime we have changed, the new ISP has done the cancel/changeover for us, which usually results in a “sorry you are leaving” email and/or letter.

Don’t forget to look for cashback deals and check if they effectively lower the price you pay for the contract period, compared to visiting the new ISP directly… Going through cashback sites does sometimes increase monthly costs, even taking account of cashback lump sum.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/fibre-38mb-2090-a-month-with-post-office-broadband-3363086 is the best landline deal I’m aware of at the mo, but only getting free weekend calls for six months is a new one to me, that’s been something we had had throughout our last few contracts (limited to 60mins per call free, after 1900 weekdays plus all day weekends on Plusnet).

DezB
    Free Member

Ha, yeah right….

It’s true you know – Virgin didn’t budge when I changed from them. Plus Sky’s router is shite (only 2 ports!), so I need to upgrade that.

Oh, yeah – I’ve done the research – Zen is about the only one that is a reasonable speed and price, but doesn’t go up by 20quid after 18months.

nickewen
    Free Member

I’ve just went from Virgin 100 fibre (measured approx 30MB on my phone) to standard Talk Talk broadband through the phone line..

Virgin wound me up something rotten. Deal went from £29 to £50.50 a month which I just could not stomach regardless of how fast it was..

They will budge but you need to be patient. 1st call to discuss costs they offered £49 (jokers), maybe 5 days later offered £38 and then another 5 days they offered £29! I had already arranged the new broadband when the £29 offer came through. Absolute joke. I’d still be with them if they kept me on the same deal or were quicker to offer the £29 FFS.

Anyway I now have much slower broadband measuring about 12MB on my phone but it is only £17/month with £50 cashback. Absolute chew on sorting it all out. No other options for fibre other than Virgin in my area so I’m destined to spend the next forever bouncing between fibre and standard broadband each time the price jumps.

DezB
    Free Member

Happened exactly as thepurist suggested. Simple innit. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘When you change broadband providers…’ is closed to new replies.