Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • When is a cyclist no longer a cyclist? (Fading old git content)
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

It happens to us all at some point. That time when you realise that, not only are you not as young as you used to be, and don’t do the things you used to do; but from now on you’re going to struggle to keep doing what you are doing at the moment. For me it’s a result of age, a minor hernia that they are reluctant to operate on, and unresolved chronic tenderness in the Gentlemans’ Department, possibly related to the hernia. Oh and I’m suffering from failing sight. Not that my eyes were that good to start with. But wait! there’s more!

While riding up a sloping mixed user railway crossing bridge this morning, my knees, which are a bit ‘crunchy’ in any case, really began to complain. It may have been because I couldn’t ride up at my own pace, being stuck behind a diiny bint of a new cyclist inching her way up at a snail’s pace. Or it may have been the effect of the chill morning air seeping through my trousers. Or perhaps the time has come for me to accept the inevitable, and ease myself into a dignified withdrawl from cycling?

So here’s the question: When is a cyclist or mountain biker no longer considered to be so? What criteria should be applied? And given that; when is it no longer appropriate to engage on this forum?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If you still own a bike and still have the desire to ride it then you’re a cyclist.

Ability comes and goes throughout your lifetime but desire is the thing.

aP
    Free Member

How old are you?
    I’d just treat it as changing the challenge, rather than retiring to crown green.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

a man of your experience can clearly still pass your knowledge and learnings on forever.

In my experience its the old fellas on a ride that keep going the longest frankly and usually at a cracking pace whilst still chatting and smiling as the youngsters sweat and huff and puff.

You’ll know when the time is right, there must be a bathchair racing scene? or maybe a zimmer racing league… but until then carry on regardless.

loddrik
    Free Member

Canal towpaths are your friend. People may be a little snooty about them but I love riding on them. Every ride doesn’t have to be hammering down the Ranger Path.

Coyote
    Free Member

What muppet said.

Loddrik makes a very good point. There’s usually some decent pubs to be found along the way too!

user-removed
    Free Member

No need to accept anything – get an elecrtrically assisted bike and stick two fingers up at the world as you whiz by. That’s what my 72 year old, hernia-afflicted stepdad did. He lives it! So much so that my 66 year oldmum got one too and they race each other to Portree and back over the hill road.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

could be fitness related, get fitter. Start with small goals and work up, include gym work as well to strengthen your whole body. Im 55 and still going strong but it requires keeping fit, gym, road and mtb. Age will limit you but not in the way your suggesting. Your not as strong as a younger person thats, strength over time (increased age) reduces.

DezB
    Free Member

Sad that injuries and ailments make you think you have to give up cycling.
    I seem to get injured/ill every time I reach a decent level of fitness and the work it takes to get back up there is a pain!
    But I ain’t going to stop! Nor stop the football that seems to be the cause of most of the injuries 🙂
    My mum still cycles all over the place at 74, so if she can do it…

midlifecrashes

I had a lovely tour of the Fens and the flatlands around the Wash earlier this year, went with my fat old mate Simon who’s been retired for a long time, and his mate Harry, 78, who muddles along between medication and various surguries, but loads himself up with sufficient drugs to boost his energy for a few days and goes for it. No records broken, no Alps climbed, but a great time had by all. Same again next year, hopefully. Ease off, but don’t give it up.

jamiep
    Free Member

A great tonic for crunchy knees is cycling. Keep at it but realign your goals

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your medical issues because these would be the limiting factors. Other than that, being fit to ride is just training and conditioning, which works at any age.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I had 7 weeks of chemo and radiotherapy treatment earlier in the year and a hernia operation last month and I’ve still managed to ride this much since I finished the cancer treatment on the 4th of April.

Count:109 Activities
    Distance:2,387.56 mi
    Time:165:51:51 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:200,163 ft
    Avg Speed:14.4 mph
    Avg HR:136 bpm
    Avg Bike Cadence:74 rpm
    Calories:73,227 C
    Avg Elevation Gain:1,836 ft
    Avg Distance:21.90 mi
    Avg Time:1:31:18 h:m:s
    Max Avg Bike Cadence:82 rpm
    Max Avg Speed:18.3 mph
    Max Elevation Gain:5,344 ft
    Max Distance:63.73 mi

I’m 56 BTW

peterfile
    Free Member

I had 7 weeks of chemo and radiotherapy treatment earlier in the year and a hernia operation last month and I’ve still managed to ride this much since I finished the cancer treatment on the 4th of April.

Count:109 Activities
    Distance:2,387.56 mi
    Time:165:51:51 h:m:s
    Elevation Gain:200,163 ft
    Avg Speed:14.4 mph
    Avg HR:136 bpm
    Avg Bike Cadence:74 rpm
    Calories:73,227 C
    Avg Elevation Gain:1,836 ft
    Avg Distance:21.90 mi
    Avg Time:1:31:18 h:m:s
    Max Avg Bike Cadence:82 rpm
    Max Avg Speed:18.3 mph
    Max Elevation Gain:5,344 ft
    Max Distance:63.73 mi

I’m 56 BTW

The thread should end with that IMO.

Absolutely outstanding Dibbs 🙂

Next time I don’t feel like going out for a ride because it’s wet/dark/i’m tired, I’m going to remind myself of this post.

gozarch
    Free Member

Christ, Dibbs, that’s made me feel ashamed and inspired in equal measure!

As for the OP, My Dad’s 75 and has a crunchy knee. Now lives half way up a hill in mid-Wales, which has curtailed his cycling somewhat. Didn’t stop him enjoying a ride around beautiful lake Annecy with us this summer though, and he has requested more of the same next year.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

My granddad is 90 something, blind in one eye and still rides his bike to market. He is still a cyclist to me. As long as I have a bike, I will be a cyclist.

edlong
    Free Member

when is it no longer appropriate to engage on this forum?

From some of the threads I’ve seen, if those who didn’t ride bikes stopped posting, the forum would be a LOT quieter…

maxlite
    Free Member

The thing is to take it easy…..dont give up, as muppetWrangler said ‘Ability comes and goes throughout your lifetime but desire is the thing’

Anyway I’m building up a new hardtail for my 65th birthday 😀

ton

cycle touring is the way to go as you get older.
    be it a day’s ride, a weekends pootling or a week away. do not be tied by speed or distance, have plenty of stops, ride in new area’s, and if you want, you can use offroad links.

I hope when my time comes, that I am on a touring ride somewhere nice, and have just visited a new pub and sampled some fine ale……… 8)

aracer
    Free Member

There are people on here who do ride bikes? 😯

footflaps

There are people on here who do ride bikes?

Shocking realisation.

I just collect them and keep them in a purpose built workshop.

Haven’t got the time or the inclination to ride any of them 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘When is a cyclist no longer a cyclist? (Fading old git content)’ is closed to new replies.