Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • When ebay buyers decide not to pay.
  • Wally

Hi STW hive mind.
    What is the procedure I need to follow when I have winners an auction immediately send me an email saying “It will not fit my bike – sorry” can you relist please or sell to next highest bidder.

Seems I can loose out – quickly and they have all my details.

Is it this?

If it’s been more than 2 full days since the listing ended, you can select Report an unpaid item. This lets us know you’re having a problem and starts the formal process of resolving the issue – we call this opening a case. You need to report a case within 32 days of the listing ending.
    Report an unpaid item
    After opening a case, the buyer has 4 days to respond or pay for the item. On the 5th day, you can close the case by going to the Resolution Centre and selecting Receive fee credit, then Close case on the following page. Under Have you received payment from the buyer?, select No. The unpaid item is then recorded on the buyer’s account, the final value fee will be credited back to you, and you can relist the item.

Wally.

continuity
    Free Member

Nothing you can do. Unpaid item strikes just waste your time. Relist immediately. If you force them to purchase they can just recieve the item, find some random non-fault with it, raise a claim and you’ll be paying for return shipping anyway.

Selling on ebay is a straight up hassle. I avoid nowadays and stick to Facebook Groups.

andrewh
    Free Member

Relist it. But do they unpaid item thingy too. This will get you your fee back and also stops these people bothering those of us who have our accounts set to block them.
    That’s a bit useless too, I can only block someone with two unpaid item things in six months or whatever it is, I want to block everyone who’s ever had one, they are a PITA

martymac

I don’t use ebay any more.
    Had an account since (i guess) 2010, tried to buy some headset spacers last week, got a message telling me they won’t sell me anything else until i tell them my phone number.
    Other websites manage to sell me stuff without ‘requiring’ my phone number.
    So i just cancelled my account, I’m not being spoken to like that.

Wally

I second chance offer to the next bidder a way to go?
    If not, why not?
    Wally

breatheeasy
    Free Member

You can do second chance for your other bidders, though they will only get an offer to buy with what their maximum was. In personal experience I think those bidders just think you’ve run the bidding up with a shill account to maximise what they pay, as they might have paid a lot less if the ‘other’ bidder wasn’t bidding.

For the 20 seconds it’ll take I’d block the crappy buyer and stick a non-pay flag on him/her. Then do a non-payment claim otherwise ebay will tak their 10% regardless.

Short of buying stuff off the rogue bidder and not paying, there’s not much more you can do.

Wally

Thanks everyone, I have relisted.
    Will do the non payment claim too and do the non-pay flag.

Fudd
    Free Member

I don’t use ebay any more.
    Had an account since (i guess) 2010, tried to buy some headset spacers last week, got a message telling me they won’t sell me anything else until i tell them my phone number.
    Other websites manage to sell me stuff without ‘requiring’ my phone number.
    So i just cancelled my account, I’m not being spoken to like that.

How very dare they! Using two stage authentication to verify your account isn’t hacked and making life easier for you if your account ever does get hacked? The scoundrels!

spooky_b329

eBay having my phone number is the least of my worries!

Also the unpaid bidder strike/cancel option is the best solution and you will get your fees refunded. The last thing I’d want to do is force someone to pay for something they don’t want, you’ll end up claiming from the courier for it going missing, damaged on arrival, not as described

oldtennisshoes

After a couple of similar experiences I now only use BIN listings on eBay.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve started using buy it now for sales. Its does work well. I think it widens your audience as people don’t want to wait 7 days. Start a little bit high and drop it a few quid if it doesn’t sell. If you’ve just had an auction then you know the market value so relist it for the top bid.

kerley
    Free Member

After a couple of similar experiences I now only use BIN listings on eBay.

That is what I have done for the last 10 year. No hassle since.

Buy It Now with “Immediate payment required” and the buyer cannot win the item without paying.

Only downside is I have to set the price so may get less than via an auction but I don’t care as I get the price I think it is worth and don’t have the hassle on non-paying bidders which is a big problem (or was until I stop using auctions)

woollybackpaul
    Free Member

I had a guy win an auction for some Dynaudio floor standing speakers.

Said he’d pay on collection the following weekend.

The day before he advised his wife said he wasn’t allowed to buy them as they have a child with a medical condition which meant they couldn’t have any loud noises in the house. Obviously slipped his mind when bidding…..

Dealing with Herbert’s like this is unfortunately a regular occurrence when selling on eBay. No point trying to force them to pay though, as others have said you’ll get nowhere.

spooky_b329

I also use exclusively BIN listings. And I don’t think I’ve ‘won’ a traditional auction for years, it either goes above my limit, or you can buy a BIN brand new item for 10% extra from someone else, or I don’t want to wait another 5 days, or often, my preferred tactic of bidding on the closing seconds fails as I forget the listing is ending.

martymac

Lol, yeah i get that, it was the way it was worded that i took exception to.

dyna-ti

I mostly also stick to bin sales, although ive never had the problem you mentioned. If ive a lot to shift it will be mostly bin, with the odd auction to draw in more people to view the other sales, but probably 99% are buy it now.

Currently it all seems to be a premium, and many sellers are for want of a better term, ‘coining it in’ at stupid prices, which can lead to buyers hitting buy, then regretting and looking for ways to complain and get some sort of partial refund.
    More often than not, youre just kind of trying to rid yourself of the excess and getting something back is nice. As long as you dont ask silly money, keep in mind it is used, fair priced bin sales will go through without probs and with good descriptions and prices shouldn’t cause you any problems.

I will say that you should take plenty of pics of items, more than you will have in the sale, and after they are sold, in its packaging, just to armour against the occasional chancer.

Northwind

It’s usually worth trying the “second bidder” thing if you have one.

Do, always, do a nonpaying bidder report. It’s not pointless, people do get banned for it but also sellers can set “do not accept” limits. I don’t accept bids from anyone with 2 strikes in the last 6 months frinstance and since I did that it’s cut my issues to hardly any. I think there’s a similar facility for feedback but can’t remember for sure

finbar
    Free Member

You might make someone’s day: I got a new Poc Octal Aero helmet for £40 the other week, when a seller sent me a ‘second chance’ offer after the first bidder must have changed their mind 🙂 .

ajantom

Unless I genuinely don’t know the value (eg some spares/repairs Genelec studio monitors, they went for £100+ at auction, twice what I thought!) I always put stuff up for bin + immediate payment. I always say I’m open to offers.

I always set a realistic price too. Look at current/sold items, and then price slightly lower.
    Put 6 items up for sale last weekend (frame, stem, & 4 pairs of pedals) all sold within 24hrs.

Wally

It gets better now the items are arriving at their destinations. Sold this Friday:

Which is one of these,
    SRAM Carbon MTB cranksets
    I have come home to an email.

“Morning, the cranks just arrived and they are not carbon.
    They are the cheap aluminium X01 cranks that OEMs often put on bikes to meet a price point.
    Please can you arrange collection of them as I assume this was a genuine mistake rather than anything sinister.
    Many thanks (name removed)”

Any suggestions for a response?

convert

Was it an email or was it a message through ebay – important difference as the latter can be seen by ebay if a dispute is opened by either party.

I’d start with a message through ebay with a link to that website you have put there and a reassurance that they are indeed the full blown carbon and see what comes back.

The concerns you have is that they have had buyers remorse and want you to have to pay for the return. Or, worse still they plan on sending you back their cheaper aluminium ones. My guess is the first of the two or they are just stupid.

andrewh
    Free Member

Do they have a serial number on them?
    ‘No problem, send then back. I’ll check the serial number against the ones I sent out, if it’s a proper mistake I’ll ping you a refund. If it’s not the same cranks I’ll report it to the police”

Wally

Thanks Convert, Message through ebay, starting with exactly you suggestion. “I’d start with a message through ebay with a link to that website you have put there and a reassurance that they are indeed the full blown carbon and see what comes back.” Would I use ebay again, probably not.

Northwind

Switching on delivery can be a problem (mostly my ebay stuff is toys now and every so often I send out a perfectly good toy, get a return, and back comes a ****ed one. It’s not worth my time to detail every low value item I post out but i do do it for more valuable items. (I sold a graphics card and a kindle fire hd recently and literally videoed them going into the boxes)

I did beat one scammer a while back who’d done this- I raised a complaint with ebay, told them I’d marked the original item with a security pen so it proved the returned item was different, got to keep the money and the returned item. But I don’t think that’s dependable. (also, I hadn’t actually marked the item)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘When ebay buyers decide not to pay.’ is closed to new replies.