Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • when downloading/using a GPX what do you prefer – routes or tracks ?
  • MadBillMcMad

do you prefer:

1) a GPX track/breadcrumb trail with zillions of points
    or
    2) a GPX route with just the salient points marked.
    or
    3) I guess both

My GPX has a limit of 250 points for a route but I prefer following a route to a breadcrumb/track, so I normally find my self going to all the effort of reducing the points from a track. Yes this can be done automatically but it needs checking afterwards.

tillydog
    Free Member

Gpx track for off road – a route can only take roads/paths that are on the map on the GPS. Different maps can give different results.

thepodge
    Free Member

I can’t follow tracks on mine so have to use routes.

scotroutes

tillydog – Member
    Gpx track for off road – a route can only take roads/paths that are on the map on the GPS. Different maps can give different results.

Basically that. It’s mostly a limitation of the mapping, not the device. If all paths and tracks were routable then waypoints at junctions would be enough for me.

MadBillMcMad

I’ve got OS maps on the GPS & phone so that is not an issue.

My issue I guess with tracks is that (AFAIK) they do not give you any actual assistance other than showing you where you are & the line that you want to be on, so you have to be continually paying attention.

But with a route it beeps & actually turns the screen back on each time you approach a waypoint.

My reason for asking is that most sites tend to just offer the track so I guess that is preferred. At least a simpler route can be created from the track.

mcnultycop

Is there any free software to convert a track to a route?

I’ve downloaded a couple of routes from pedalnorth which have too many points for my etrex.

Cheers

scotroutes

Is there any free software to convert a track to a route

Garmin Basecamp

I’ve got OS maps on the GPS & phone so that is not an issue.

But paths and tracks on OS maps are merely a visual representation. They are not routable. That’s why Tracks are used.

Some Open Streetmap maps are better but they rely on the accuracy and skill of the person inputting the data.

thepodge
    Free Member

I use plotaroute, then download a route not a track, never had any issues with things not being routable.

mariner
    Free Member

As far as I understand a ‘breadcrumb’ is the backtrack of a route/track you have just ridden.
    Routes when uploaded also produce a track on my etrex.
    Loading route on gps gives me turn by turn alerts plus off route.
    Loading track just gives me a line to follow. In places with poor reception the position update is slow and I tend to miss turns.
    I cant prove it but I suspect using track will give a better battery life over route which is switching backlight on and sounding alarms more.

I find that some downloaded gpx files contain too many way points. If you create a track from the route then delete the original route and recreate it from the track it sorts out the max way points and makes it more user friendly.

MadBillMcMad

@mariner, I think you are about right, no idea though on battery comparison usage though

@scotroutes, Misunderstanding here I think. I am not asking the GPS to be intelligent in the same way a car one is. I use min as mariner describes. It gives me a number of waypoints connected by straight lines. So the GPS tells me the direction & distance (as a the crow flies) to the next waypoint. I engineer the waypoints so they are at decision points. I use https://www.walklakes.co.uk/maps/ to plot my routes & http://www.gpsies.com/ to store them.

I wrote this a while a go when I was having issues getting routes on to the etrex

devash
    Free Member

I use tracks on my Garmin eTrex 20 for mtb and walking / hiking. Routes seem to be unnecessary for off road use and as others have pointed out above, vary in compatibility between maps.

mariner
    Free Member

I find that some downloaded gpx files contain too many way points. If you create a track from the route then delete the original route and recreate it from the track it sorts out the max way points and makes it more user friendly.

Just to clarify the above is done using BaseCamp other gps editors are available.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘when downloading/using a GPX what do you prefer – routes or tracks ?’ is closed to new replies.