• This topic has 13 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by qtip.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • When do you think 1 1/8 forks will disappear?
  • renton
    Free Member

And what will happen to all the frames that take said forks?

I have a 5 spot with a normal headtube and Im getting concerned that I wont be able to get spares for my forks in a few years time as everything is going tapered??

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

You can get adaptor headsets you know.

Also, about 2030 or so.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You can get adaptor headsets you know.

What, that let you fit forks that are bigger than the head tube that they are going inside of, that’s fantastic.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Seeing as tapered is sort of a mid-way point in the evolution towards 1-1/5″ straight, and it’s been around quite a few years, I’d say you’ve got a good 10 years before you need to worry. By that time, your frame might have turned into a pub bike, and you’ll always be able to get cheapo 1-1/8″ forks made in China to accommodate all the cheap bikes for decades to come, in the same way you can still by 1″ steerer forks for all the cheapest bikes. I think people are more likely to upgrade forks than frames, so it’s in the interest of fork manufacturers to make things that sell.

johnhe

Well I never.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ll shut my trap then.

julianwilson
    Free Member

paulsoxo you had it right the first time.

the headset in the linky up there is for 44mm headtubes (that take a 1 1/8″ steerer through a zero-stack or semi-integrated headset.)

Alas this will not help the op as unless he has a 2011 or newer 5 spot (that’s when they went up to 44mm), his ‘normal’ headtube will only ever take a straight steerer.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

The headline in that article is guff~ 44mm headtubes are not standard 1 1/8″ … much as I’d love some engineering magic to fit something where it doesn’t belong (oh matron), fairly basic principles means it ain’t happening.

composite
    Free Member

I’m just making sure I keep servicing my current forks in an attempt to make them last as long as the frames do. Actually I hope my Revs out last my 2009 Five frame and I’m forced to use a reducer headset in the future.

aracer
    Free Member

Well I found that article interesting, as I have a bike with a suitable headtube. With a 1 1/8″ headtube and 26″ wheels I was wondering whether it was worth spending £200 on a new bit for the rear end, but at least one bit is future proof.

renton
    Free Member

yep I have a 2010 5 spot so that new fangled headset in the link up there^^^^ still wont fit !!

Wondering if it is worth buying a spare crown,steerer and stanchion piece now ??

HermanShake
    Free Member

Frames will continue to have 1 1/8″ for a few years yet and fork spares support will outlast that by even more. I reckon you’ll naturally upgrade within that time.

qtip

Fork choice is already pretty limited for 1 1/8″ steerers, especially in the 140-150mm trail fork market. I’ve been having this exact problem with finding a fork for my 2010 Orange 5. Combined with the 27.2mm seat tube, 26″ wheels, and I35 x 12 mm axle, I’m already finding that a lot of new products just will not fit my bike.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘When do you think 1 1/8 forks will disappear?’ is closed to new replies.