Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • When digging a hole goes wrong!!
  • anagallis_arvensis

Just got home to find the people putting up next doors fence have dug through the electric main to our house… its currently sparking and popping in the hole. Strangely everyones electric is still on. I have a feeling this is going to cause a bit of disruption… hope its fixed in time to watch the giro highlight…yeah right.

andrewh
    Free Member

Have they stopped digging?

martinhutch

My instinct would be to flip the switch on my consumer unit until the authorities turn up.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oh, not about the Jordan Peterson thread then…

anagallis_arvensis

My instinct would be to flip the switch on my consumer unit until the authorities turn up.

I thought that too but the electric company said to touch nothing.

martinhutch

You’d better step away from the keyboard!

Are you sure they just didn’t want you prodding the cable with a rake handle?

anagallis_arvensis

On my phone. Luckily I can charge it on a battery pack…this bikepacking kit is useful after all….might go to the pub!

Onzadog
    Free Member

They’ll have it fixed pretty quickly. It’s the digging that takes the time, but it sounds like that’s been done for them.

Leaving it alone is the right thing to do. After all, if it was a neutral fault, you wouldn’t want to be the person taking the least load.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Then again, after 4pm on the Friday before a bank holiday weekend…let’s hope the standby team aren’t busy on a bigger fault somewhere else.

anagallis_arvensis

If they come out apparently they called SSE at11.00am!!! You’d think a literally smoking hole with sparks would spark a quicker response…I may have to call the Thunder birds at this rate.

Worst case is the arrive at 7 and the giro highlights dont record.

Onzadog
    Free Member

In all fairness, so long as you stay out of the hole, it’s not dangerous. And you did say your power is still on. They’re probably tied up with “no supply” calls. They might even temp it up for the bank holiday do a full repair next week.

Is it an outside meter cabinet and how far away is the nearest neighbour who’s not affected?

anagallis_arvensis

Is it an outside meter cabinet and how far away is the nearest neighbour who’s not affected?

Meter is in garage which is part of the house which is part of a terrace, no ones electric is off as far as I can see.

bruneep

Chuck a bucket of water in hole that’ll stop it smoking

anagallis_arvensis

Theres a big metal pole in it at the moment should I chuck the water in and then take the pole out?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Then they might make the whole main dead, cut you off and then feed you from a neighbour with a similar garage set up.

bruneep

should I chuck the water in and then take the pole out?

only once you’ve got a live feed and linked it here

anagallis_arvensis

Thunderbird 3 has arrived…more digging has started!

anagallis_arvensis

Power off no giro highlights!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

How far did they dig? Hope they are insured and you didn’t get any surges to blow your equipment up.

anagallis_arvensis

They seem to be getting quite animated with a tape measure and head scratches at the moment!

anagallis_arvensis

Power back on!! In time for Froomes big day out!

cloudnine
    Free Member

There’s channel quest +1 hr on sky 244 if they get finished by 8pm to watch the giro

simon_g

Result.

Mate’s neighbour was doing his fence and managed to damage the water main (not buried as deep as it should have been, not on any maps) that served most of the town. Back garden filled up in minutes, only the fire brigade coming and pumping the water away stopped the water rising further and saved their houses from flooding. Took water company 3 hours to switch it off. Took months to deal with insurance and redo his garden.

So, er, power off for a bit sounds pretty lucky to me…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Last year the water main ruptured in the block of terraces along from us. Big pretty fountain and A one thoroughly flooded house.

When they were digging founds for an extension at school one of the diggers managed to sever the line supplying the whole of Dunblane. That was amusing up until they installed a temp generator that meant we weren’t being sent home.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘When digging a hole goes wrong!!’ is closed to new replies.