Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • When did SRAM GX 12 speed cassettes get to £200?
  • intheborders
    Free Member

Not that there are any/many for sale, but when did I miss them doubling in price since the one I bought last year?

teethgrinder

Picked one up for £100 (Wiggle sale) in June 2019.
    Picked one up for £158 (ridewill.it) then ups **** me over for another £30-odd. And that was after looking for ages.

The retail on them has always a lot, like all SRAM kit that’s non-oem. But occasionally there were offers. However, recently there’s been a bit of a demand on parts. Therefore there’s no reason to discount.

mboy
    Free Member

but when did I miss them doubling in price since the one I bought last year?

RRP started at £175 from memory, when they were launched several years ago…

What you have been able to pick them up for due to a lack of demand, and surplus of supply, has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the current price of things given demand has outstripped supply, we are in the midst of a global pandemic, have left the EU causing prices of imported goods through Europe to go up (grey market stuff ALWAYS comes through Europe to the UK) and the devaluation of the £ against other currencies… Not forgetting good old inflation anyway.

Not that there are any/many for sale

Highlights the flaw in your argument! 🤷🏻‍♂️

paul0
    Free Member

Not really, it’s still a ridiculous price

Northwind

Think I paid £230 for the whole drivetrain! (minus cranks). And then under £200 for an XXXXXX110010 (I have no idea how many Xs, 0s and 1s there were but it wasn’t the top end one).

E13 are worth a look, I haven’t used mine enough to know about lifespan but the shifting is good, and they’re way cheaper than their nearest sram equivalents. The fitting’s a bit faffy though- clever, but faffy.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

2014 I paid 19 pounds for a hg50 chain AND cassette! Madness.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Actually they aren’t much more than that now. Time to go back to 9 speed.

the00
    Free Member

Just imagine using one on an ebike, and it lasting only half as long 😭

Ebike with a gearbox can’t come soon enough.

tomhoward

Didn’t all this used to be fields?

richmtb

I vaguely remember getting a gx 1275 for £75. But that was 2019.

I do recall some stuff happening between 2019 and now that might have affected supply chains.

intheborders
    Free Member

Highlights the flaw in your argument! 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don’t remember creating an ‘argument’, I was just pointing out they were £200.

joebristol

I got the xg1275 10-50 cassette near the start of 2021 for £135 delivered from Mantel. But supply has got worse it seems and prices have gone up and up. Just the way it is I guess.

argee

I thought the 12sp stuff was extortionate until i looked at replacing my 11sp XG1150, hopefully they hurry up and fix the supply chain issue, my ebike’s starting to cost a lot more to keep going every year as it burns through cassettes in 4 or 5 months!

tomhoward

my ebike’s starting to cost a lot more to keep going every year as it burns through cassettes in 4 or 5 months!

Go XO1. More expensive but mine lasted 3500 ebike miles + before I sold it, still working fine. Original chain.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I expect that I won’t need another GX cassette for another at least another 12 months, since the ones I have on my 2 bikes were new in the early part of this year.

Hopefully the prices will be a bit less silly then, but if not, at least there are now some reasonable other choices.

intheborders
    Free Member

£118 here? https://hollandbikeshop.com/en-gb/sram/sram-mtb-parts/sram-cassette-mtb/sram-cassette-12-speed-mtb/sram-gx-eagle-xg-1275-cassette-10-52t-xd-12s-black-690178/?channable=01406c6964003236393033305b&country_id=222&currency=GBP&gclid=CjwKCAiA7dKMBhBCEiwAO_crFAhCCVHfGf9tHWL6QlVHiBAlRVQ5l6XULPJOK7kMHQaFb36vo3ArVxoCNkQQAvD_BwE

ex-VAT & shipping…

Works out at EUR183, so £154. And has a note on the order page:

“For orders over £135, you will have to pay VAT and import duties on delivery.”

Shouldn’t be on top, but could be…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

They started charging daft money when they realised people would pay it.

chakaping
    Free Member

Quite glad I’ve stuck with 11sp now. I use Sunrace XD cassettes for a bit more range, and they’ve been really durable. Maybe the 12sp CSMZ91X model is a viable alternative to GX Eagle?

my ebike’s starting to cost a lot more to keep going every year as it burns through cassettes in 4 or 5 months!

I was gonna say why not get that Shimano Linkglide stuff, but then I realised that’s probably not even available.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’d use the sunrace stuff without hesitation, I last used a couple of their wide range 10-spd cassettes and they were decent, just a bit heavier.

fooman

I last paid £90 for a GX 12 speed cassette from Planet X

Now I buy ZTTO (lighter but not as durable) or Sunrace (touch heavier but durable) from Aliexpress for about the same or less.

richmtb

I bought an Ali Express ZTTO cassette for about £100 and stuck it on my Scandal. Its very nice and shifts really well, no idea of longevity yet.

The GX cassette I took off the Scandal is now a spare for my full sus. Should keep me going for a little while with maybe a couple of new chains.

Hopefully by the time I get through that lot supply will be approaching normality but i think the days of sub £100 GX cassettes are well gone.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘When did SRAM GX 12 speed cassettes get to £200?’ is closed to new replies.