Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 258 total)
  • When consensus becomes impossible to ignore?
  • bearnecessities

3 – subscribe and still have to arse about to login whenever I check in from phone and are unable to login at all from a relatively sluggish networked laptop because the scripts kill the page (my personal whineycockbag issue, which I won’t mention again) 😀

piemonster

If we was in the same room, I’d have just sung “whineycockbag” in a mock choir voice very badly out of tune

Drac

I take it this is you thread of choice of arguing this weekend THM?

Three_Fish you really shouldn’t feel like that. We appreciate all forumites on here whether they pay or not, the P members have the privilege of switching the ads off. Non P members don’t have this option in built in the forums settings, they contribute to the forum with ads. As mentioned many times they not intentionally meant to be so intrusive so Mark is trying to fix these. He is being hindered by may things, it’s the weekend, he’s at a show, the way they appear makes it difficult to to narrow the problems ads (the ones slowing the site) as they may not be the ones members see.

If you don’t want to subscribe that’s fine and users choice we don’t want to force that on anyone.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

It’s about “informed” choice Binners, …..INFORMED. So you will find me commenting when that information is distorted or untrue (see Alex Salmond for example). Many of the suck it comments are IMO I’ll-informed.

Plus, I look at it from a business sense. The vague notion that any forum is some free altruistic service for which users should be eternally grateful is poppycock. It a business and good for the owners for providing it. It makes money from selling “you” indirectly to advertisers and I would hope (from a business perspective) to a lesser extent from small subs as a side line to avoid the shitty aspects – call it premium economy. The Towers have a problem if 2 is > than 1.

So I am “interested” in the way the value inputs are treated – first the ads themselves, then the threats of bans and thread closures, then the false promises and finally (so far) nothing done. Bottom line, less hits from me (considerably so) => weaker viewer stats => weaker value proposition for advertisers => business. Everyone has a choose including the Towers. For me, their response and CHOICE has been the interesting one.

bearnecessities

Edit. This thread needs Zokes.

dannyh
    Free Member

Just for the record, I didn’t start this thread so that various people could indulge themselves.

It was merely to point out that from my (very brief) browsing and reading of the forum yesterday, I got the impression that the ‘issue’ had reached some kind of critical mass. I’m afraid I’m not one of the in crowd on here who seem to know the deeper meaning behind everything and conduct cliquey, nudge-nudge arguments.

I can just about turn an iPad on and use it look at the internet. I was only recently forced into using Facebook because we used to organize rides on here, but the local parkies infiltrated our thread and busted us.

So, as a confirmed technophobe who would much rather actually be riding my bike, I found that the ‘issue’ was becoming more intrusive. I also saw that others thought similar. I didn’t pore over the previous threads, so I didn’t have a minute by minute account of all the mods’ whereabouts. It was merely an attempt to get a point across.

The result seems to be that the powers that be are prepared to listen, be reasonable, and actually look into doing something about it. Some usual suspects are nipping at their ankles, but hey, that was going to happen anyway.

That’s enough sermonising for a Sunday morning…….

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You must have enjoyed that DD…how long has it been draft form and were you looking in the mirror? I guess many of those reports had your name on them.

As you say, much better to go for a ride and just about to do that. Tennis later tonight, thanks. BTW, Mark set the deadline and posted it here.

No drac, as above, can’t see why any business would respond in this way. Simple.

Anyway happy trails…emjoy

Drac

The result seems to be that the powers that be are prepared to listen, be reasonable, and actually look into doing something about it

No drac, as above, can’t see why any business would respond in this way. Simple.

Yeah Ok.

DrJ

So ask yourself thm, other than your economics 101 tutorials to the impertinent unwashed, what do YOU bring to justify your free use of the forum?

He brings clicks, same as anyone else.

binners

Can I raise a pertenant, but fairly obvious, question at this point? On a technicality…

If the forum has been rendered ‘unusable’ by the advertising, how are you lot managing to carry on with your incessant whining?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You must have enjoyed that DD…how long has it been draft form and were you looking in the mirror? I guess many of those reports had your name on them.

😆

Aw, sorry, you seem upset. I think a ride and some fresh air should clear your head. Maybe you’ll return a more productive member of this little sub-society (if indeed, you believe there’s such a thing).

(Oh and not that I should even answer the accusation, but, I’m not a reporter I’m afraid. Only spam, the odd truly arseholeishly offensive post and one where a picture of me from elsewhere was posted on here. So, you’ll have to look elsewhere.)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Exactly doc, but don’t destroy the dreams…..commerce is a cold and harsh substitute.

BTW drac, you guys are doing what YOU can on this and other negative comments. Noted.

Not upset in the slightest DD, other than the hit by a taxi thread, you have been utterly consistent. I will revert to my normal response from now as we don’t need any more hammers. Enjoy YOUR ride.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If the forum has been rendered ‘unusable’ by the advertising, how are you lot managing to carry on with your incessant whining?

I reckon if you actually read the threads instead of posting your incoherent rants from somewhere up the muddy lane of STW, you might actually get the answer to this, not really pertinent, question. 😀

Drac

BTW drac, you guys are doing what YOU can on this and other negative comments. Noted.

Cheers. We are trying and it’s frustrating for us it’s taking so long.

Ok folks can we stop with the petty point scoring with each other and help concentrate on this issue being fixed.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

binners – Member

metalheart
    Free Member

Whineycockbag…. Ah, I remember when we used to be able to dick about with our user names…. Pre-peak.

I’m surprised none of the sycophant P’s hasn’t tagged this thread yet (mind you, that seems to passed these days too).

Drac, I think 3Fish was talking about the P’s not st towers. I feel similarly tbh. Having only been P free for a couple of months I had contemplated resubbing, however after the last week it’s not a ‘club’ I really want to be associated with any longer…

All all that deadlines and business shit, jeez, get some perspective. It’s only a mtb forum FFS!

Drac

Drac, I think 3Fish was talking about the P’s not st towers. I feel similarly tbh.

So was I.

however after the last week it’s not a ‘club’ I really want to be associated with any longer…

It’s not a club.

metalheart
    Free Member

It’s not a club.

That’s why it’s in these => ‘ ‘

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I’m not allowed to tell you. But on this site that particular feature of Firefox is turned off, out of loyalty to ST Towers. So something else is killing the pop-ups for me. That’s nice, but it’s all too complicated for me to grasp or explain.

boblo
    Free Member

Out of interest, if the value of your advertising contribution is £1.49, how the fercking ferck is that worked out then? Total clicks into total Web advertising income? Highly unlikely as income would have to
    be a very, very big number… In other words; cobblers. It’s a made up number predicated on what the market will stand (as pricing tends to be).

Last comment from me on this; Bikeradar has really nosedived as a result of very, very intrusive advertising and I (as a random sample of 1) rarely go there as a result. Also, when searching for stuff, if I come across a site that has said stuff but is a pain to use, I choose not too. That’s all.

Cougar

Disappointing that first steps were denial, closing threads, threats of bans.

Just so as we’re clear:

Denial: I don’t know about that (ironically), as far as I can see we (ie, the Moderators) have relayed what little we know and Mark’s explained some behind-the-scenes stuff which we weren’t privy to. If you’re referring to something specific then I’ve either missed it or forgotten.

Closing threads: it’s policy to close duplicate threads regardless of content, whether that’s about advertising, last night’s Eastenders, the latest viral video or whether your scrotum is made from the same stuff that’s on your elbows. But it’s particularly important in situations like this because your reports help the tech bods to track down the issue. If all the user reports are in one place rather than scattered across 37 threads, they’re less likely to miss something pertinent.

Threats of bans: This is important so let’s be clear. STW did not threaten to ban anyone. I did. The reason for the threat was quite simple, and it was nothing to do with any sort of ‘suppression of the truth’ you may be alluding to. Rather, new threads were popping up with such speed and regularity (and my responses were getting increasingly terse) that I suspected it was being done purely to wind me up. It was an empty threat (it should go without saying that no-one has actually been banned) and the sentiment was very much “I’ve got better things to than sit here constantly chasing round in circles so knock it off”. In hindsight it may have been better just to ask nicely, but diplomacy isn’t one of my strongest attributes.

slowoldman

The “Issue” which dare not speak its name? It’s worse than Hamlet round here sometimes.

dannyh
    Free Member

The “Issue” which dare not speak its name? It’s worse than Hamlet round here sometimes.

Cougar earlier…….

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EH811gRNMfc[/video]

Matt24k
    Free Member

THM earlier today, later today and probably still at it tomorrow.

5thElefant
    Free Member

^^^ I thought it was better than subscribers, lurkers, bighitters and freeloaders

Products is the word you were looking for.

bikebouy
    Free Member

If this is going to be the “catch all thread” then I say so be it.

I subscribed because I hate the Ads, don’t really care too much other folks Cost/Income ratios because it’s none of my business and TBH it’s boring.

Only thing about this site that pisses me off, the logging in.

The sodding logging in process too.

The sodding Ads that pop up that prevent you logging in for about a minute before you can click that teeny tiny little (X) whaich happens to be the same colour font as the sodding Ad.

Once logged in mind I’m happy, so I should be.

But then I get logged out again.

And the whole darn process starts right on over again.

That, and that alone, pisses me off.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So what are peoples settings? I log in about once a month if that, what am I doing right ot what are other people doing wrong? Is this the EU cookie purge?

teethgrinder

I use STW over 2 home laptops (Ubuntu and Win7), a tablet (4.4.2), my mobile (4.4.4) (and occasionally the Nexus 4 which has been retired) and like most, my work PC (win7).

I usually have to log in at least once a week per device. Is there something like a session time per login which gets corrupted when multiple devices (cookies~) are involved, meaning more logging in?

Cougar

The sodding logging in process too.

Change your bookmark to this:

http://singletrackworld.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=/forum/

If you’re logged in it takes you to the forum. If you’re not logged in it takes you to the login page, which doesn’t have any adverts.

scotroutes

Cougar – could that be added to the Forum Help page?

Cougar

So what are peoples settings? I log in about once a month if that, what am I doing right ot what are other people doing wrong? Is this the EU cookie purge?

I honestly don’t know. My experience is the same as yours, which is why I was suggesting checking cookie settings earlier. Anecdotally, it feels as though it happens more often when I switch to mobile devices, but it could just be that I’ve not visited the site on those devices for a while and the cookies have expired.

Of course, the more devices you use, the more times you’ll have to log in if something changes serverside which kicks everyone out. Though if some posters on recent threads are to believed no-one ever does **** all round here anyway so that can’t be happening too often.

convert

All these threads prompted me to do some research into *****redacted*****. Being a ‘P’ member it makes little odds here, but blimey it has made some other websites a hell of a lot more pleasant to visit!

Cougar

Cougar – could that be added to the Forum Help page?

Pass. It’d have to be done by the site owners, we don’t have access to those pages unfortunately.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Needs a deadline tbh. 😀

(And ffs, make it an unmissable one this time.)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

ROFL, passive what? How was the ride?

Good to see Tudor is STILL with us. 4x today.

bikebouy
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    So what are peoples settings?

Very simple me, iPhone 5s, iPadAir, MacAir. Thats it, nothing else, don’t log in from work anymore (in part because I’m too darn busy)

Site useage: iPhone – Safari – probably open the site 10 times a week, iPad – Safari – probably use the site 3/6 times a day and hang around a lot so not really adding to threads, just lurking then scooting back to the overview to see whats been added to. MacAir – Safari – probably use the site once a day when I’m bored completing PMO reports, then once done I settle back with the iPad.

I’m on the MacAir now but once I’m done I’ll be lurking on the iPad in about an hour.

Also all devices are linked, so I’m supposed to be able to open a webpage on one device and then go to another and it’ll show the same page, can’t honestly say I’ve ever noticed that.

Thats it, can’t honestly say thats complicated setup at all. In fact I’d suggest I’m one of the simplest on here.

Cougar, thanks for the link I shall replace what I have wit that and see how it goes.

Whilst I appreciate it’s all turning into a bunfight at the moment and easy pickings for some to sharpen their tongue at the expense of others efforts, I don’t think that. I’m grateful of the work and effort that goes into running this site and the constraints set around it by other interested parties.

BOL, rather you lot than me for sure.

dannybgoode

I use ie11, Windows Phone and a Surface 2 and the site renders perfectly. Windows Phone in particular renders the ads very discreetly, so much so I sometimes don’t bother logging in.

Maybe the real paymasters here are Microsoft to punish those who use iThings and Googly bits (and Firefox but hey they receive a fair amount of moiety from Google).

My advice, stick to MS stuff and you’ll be fine. HTH

Cougar

Good to see Tudor is STILL with us. 4x today.

As has been repeatedly mentioned, there’s no-one around to address any concerns this weekend, so of course it’s “still” there. What did you think was going to happen, that maybe the ad network will collapse under the weight of your whining?

Thats it, can’t honestly say thats complicated setup at all.

Maybe it’s some sort of security setting or something specific to Safari? I don’t know much about Apple stuff I’m afraid.

scotroutes

Three devices with some sort of page linking going on doesn’t sound very simple to me.

I have an Android phone and a Windows PC using chrome. I reckon to get one login request every month or so on each device device. Usually around the same time?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well not getting too technical (I can’t and shan’t be bothered) It’s all something that Apple like to do, so it’s already in your settings somewhere, where? I dunno, nor care. But if, like me, you have your devices setup and sync’d together it’s a feature they promote. TBH I’ve never bothered looking at it to see if it’s worked and I doubt I’ll be doing that anytime soon.

But thats not the issue.

It’s a simple one, I can stay on the iPad for a couple of weeks without it logging out, if I use the iPhone to seek out STW during that period I g’tee I’m logged out, so I log back in. Get home, get on the MacAir and I’m still logged in and maybe haven’t been on the site for a day or two on the Mac whatever, but then settle on the sofa with the iPad and guess what… Logged out again. It’s so damn random and pretty boring TBH.

I wouldn’t mind if.. if I had to log in BUT the Ad’s didn’t cover the damn page for about a minute before it lets me log in. There should be some free space at the top of the page with “log in here” that isn’t covered in an Ad. It’s quite simple, don’t think it’s impossible to control nor put in place either.

Hey ho.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 258 total)

The topic ‘When consensus becomes impossible to ignore?’ is closed to new replies.