Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 258 total)
  • When consensus becomes impossible to ignore?
  • Drac

Maybe it’s some sort of security setting or something specific to Safari? I don’t know much about Apple stuff I’m afraid.

I use a MAcBook, iPad and iPhone which means I get logged out once per month. Spookily on each device around the same time it’s almost as if they synced to work with each other.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Right so if it’s Apples doing I’ll shut about it because clearly it’s not your fault and therefore irrelevant in trying to fix something you’ve no control over.

Thanks for updating with your experiences, perhaps we could get a sticky on this with a notice that says something like..

“you’ll get logged out by Safari/Apple if you have all your devices sync’d”

Save a lot of middle aged me me me only types whining on about it eh.. 😆

So, so i’ll shut right on up about it now.

Still don’t envy you lot looking after the site, you’d think it’d be a 20min job once a week wouldn’t you 😆

somafunk

I browse on iPhone 5s, iPad mini, iPad and macbook – get logged out on all of them at some point during a weeks use but it’s not really a major hassle so i log back in, and i don’t get full page adverts on the iPhone or iPads covering the entire screen like some users seem to.

i don’t use “iCloud” or have my devices sync’d apart from bookmarks etc when plugged into iTunes.

pitduck
    Free Member

😆

Drac

I don’t.

Can we now see issue as to why it’s so hard to pinpoint this issue down?

CountZero

I do most of my browsing on here on my pad, which chucks me off once every three or four weeks, at a rough guess; it happens infrequently enough that I don’t really check. I use my phone far less frequently, it’s not possible at work, mobiles are banned for security reasons, but I’ve just checked STW on the phone, which, via iCloud, was the open page on the pad; opening that, I was logged out but still logged in on the pad.
    I would hazard a guess that there’s some sort of time limit on sessions, but how it works, well I’m buggered if I know.
    I do like the fact that open pages on Safari are viewable on other devices, as well as the actual open pages on that device, but as for logging in/out, and why some people seem to have to do it so often, while others only after longish periods, that’s got me at a complete loss; I can’t think of any setting anywhere that I’ve opened, closed, or ticked or whatever that has meant I get longer log-in periods. I just found the page on my first iDevice, a 3G iPhone, then saved it onto my homepage, same with my pad, but as it’s always open in Safari anyway, at least on the pad, I rarely use the bookmark.
    Go figure, as they say in the movies.
    As for changing the site format, three_fish, that’s been done to death, right back as long as I’ve been a member, which is now twelve years, and the majority don’t want fixed what isn’t broken. If you don’t like the format, then go somewhere where the format is to your liking; nobody forces you to stay here.

slowoldman

I use a number of sites which normally keep me logged on and then for no apparent reason will one day require me to log in again. It’s not just STW.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

As for changing the site format, three_fish, that’s been done to death, right back as long as I’ve been a member, which is now twelve years, and the majority don’t want fixed what isn’t broken. If you don’t like the format, then go somewhere where the format is to your liking; nobody forces you to stay here.

See, it’s that kind of prissy, precious attitude that makes a bad smell. Can people not make suggestions for possible change without essentially being told to **** off? Apart from hora, I doubt there’s a single user on this forum who isn’t aware that they can come and go as they choose. “The vast majority” of which you speak is actually just a handful of people; a tiny percentage of the people who use this site. Don’t confuse the amount of noise something makes with the size that it is. However, the point I was making is that the forum design, format and function is very basic, and that other forums provide a whole lot more and do not charge anything. The point was made in the context of a conversation about value. If you need a comparison to help you understand: it would be like RyanAir Economy costing more than British Airways Business Class. Get it?

If I had to pay for this I wouldn’t use it because it would not represent good value. I’m sure I’d not be alone in that decision. Ads don’t bother me here for the same reason that they don’t bother me anywhere else on the internet. My freedom to choose means that my browser, like a kind old butler, shields me from the hideousness of it all. On iOS, I habitually double-tap the page when it loads to crop out the side-bar, suffering only the enormous header advert and the even more enormous ATR ad that sits above the reply box. Interestingly, that one only appears when one is signed in. One actually gets the most advertising exposure as a signed-in non-P user. So the site looks cleanest to passers-by, who then get hit with ads when they sign up. I suspect that it’s around that point that some have a bit of a moan, since they enjoy the rest of the craic, then get told by the well-trained ‘majority’ to pay their £15 or get ****ed off. Classy

DrJ

Absolutely, and that is why touting “P” as the solution to all the world’s ills is premature.

Drac

Agreed DrJ.

However, that does not make it any easier to find the solution.

dab

Drac
    Thanks for the direct forum link you posted earlier

Means I can avoid the dreaded green advert
    ( I’m a print & digital man as I still like to read a mag and if that helps keep the forum afloat then
    I’m happy to do it as it’s been a good place to buy & sell and get some good info )

Drac

You’re welcome but I think that was Cougar.

Yup you also get some added features by subscribing which make it more of a Private Jet service than BA.

hora
    Free Member

Apart from hora, I doubt there’s a single user on this forum who isn’t aware that they can come and go as they choose.

Can you explain please.

I like the STW layout/design. I don’t like bikeradar’s and loads of other forum layout/design. I like pistonheads forum but I dont like their layout etc. I don’t tend to give advice when its not asked for or needed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator
    I don’t.

Totally, totally understand. And totally understand why a whining MAM can seem to upset your sensibilities whilst pointing the finger at you (STW) for all the issues.
    Clearly I was wrong, I have accepted that and understand the frustrations on your side only too well. Seems I’m not the only one suffering the log in/out situation but I seem to get it more frequently. For instance I was using STW on this Mac yesterday answering to this thread, buggered off to the iPad for a few hours on STW in the evening and came back to this Mac and guess what ? Yup had to log back in again.

Now theres something going on, not of STW’s doing, so I’m accepting that and moving on. As a question in my head though I shall search the internet to find if others have similar situations on other sites where multi device login’s are used, I shall report back if I find anything.

I’m not commenting on the Forum structure, sod that. It’s STW’s forum and I use what they provide. I already like the layout and don’t feel any benefit in changing it. Theres my 2p worth on that nugget.

nickjb
    Free Member

I still like to read a mag and if that helps keep the forum afloat then
    I’m happy to do it

Is that the case, or is it the other way round? I’d imagine the costs of producing a magazine plus the editorial content of this site vastly outweigh the costs of running a forum and actually the forum is subsidising the mag.

sc-xc

I also like the way this forum works. Loads of forums I have been on in the past (the VW T4/5 one is particularly bad) have that many sub forums I just give up.

I pay my subs here purely because the members of this forum were there when I needed them.

hora
    Free Member

I buy the mag- in WHSmiths partly because I like to scan it first even if it is abit more money as I dont like subscribing (I’m subscribed to Wallpaper and it goes from good to appalling so hesitate on subscribing to any mags again).

toppers3933
    Free Member

This is the best laid out forum I use by miles. I can forgive it it’s little idiosyncrasies. My iPhone logs me out after every visit. So I just log back in as soon as I come back onto the forum. Easy. A bookmark for the login page helped this massively because it doesn’t give the pop up ads a chance to pop up. Why my phone logs me out is beyond me but I’m positive it’s not the sites fault.
    Even as a muggle user and not a P it’s still infinitely better than bike bloody radar.

Cougar

If you need a comparison to help you understand: it would be like RyanAir Economy costing more than British Airways Business Class. Get it?

I totally get that.

What I don’t get is why, when presented with such a choice, one would choose RyanAir Economy.

I also don’t get why they’d then sit there with their free ticket complaining that the coffee was cold and that other planes are a much better design.

I also don’t get why they’d feel the need to have a gratuitous pop at another passenger in the middle of a rant about attitudes.

DrJ

What I don’t get is why, when presented with such a choice, one would choose RyanAir Economy.

I also don’t get why they’d then sit there with their free ticket complaining that the coffee was cold and that other planes are a much better design.

Well, to stretch the metaphor a bit, I’d guess it’s because in this case BA doesn’t fly to STW Airport, it flies to MyOtherForum International.

And the tickets are never free – you just pay by other means.

(I thought the pop at Hora was just a little joke)

hora
    Free Member

One might see the pop at me as a joke however within the context of the whole post it doesn’t look a joke.

On a wider note if someone wants to have a pop at me I might turn the flame back on them.

binners

Talking of flights and airlines: how can you tell when a plane-load of STW forumites has landed?

…… because the whining continues long after the engines have stopped 😀

hammyuk
    Free Member

FYI – logged out AGAIN across ALL devices – two of which are windows based…. so its not an Apple issue.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hora – relax, you have come off lightly!! 😉

The free ticket argument says a lot….from that point, you understand the premise for any debate.

binners

Prepare for a Hora flaming!

piemonster

And the tickets are never free – you just pay by other means.

+1

Otherwise advertising wouldn’t work, which I think is generally accepted.

Up to a point.

And once that point is reached, how much revenue get’s lost after a solution is determined?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Five pages, fantastic. If everyone who has posted on this thread would introduce just two friends to STW so they can seecomplain about the adverts the increased revenue would allow Mark to retire early 🙂

deepreddave
    Free Member

I thought I’d posted on this topic but seemingly not. I’m now thinking I’ve had a senior moment or I’ve had my first mod deleted post.

Mods – Apologies if the latter but at least I feel more ‘stw’ now 🙂

Cougar

thought I’d posted on this topic but seemingly not. I’m now thinking I’ve had a senior moment or I’ve had my first mod deleted post.

It’s certainly one of those. You should have received a special email and everything.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

If everyone who has posted on this thread would introduce just two friends

We’re such inbreds, they’re all on here already.

bearnecessities

I want a special email 😥

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I can send you one bear. Just need a deadline.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Cougar – Thanks. On checking I do indeed have a special email but it wasn’t special enough to avoid going direct to my ‘junk’ mail (which it isn’t obviously). Consider me ‘reminded’ and suitably chastised.

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

Hi everyone who has problems staying logged in,
    I looked into this some time ago and I think I posted my conclusions here on this forum

Basically my understand is thus:
    Many users were not selecting “Remember Me” when they log in. Therefore their login is only valid for one session.

This is not a problem on a desktop browsers as the session persists until all browser windows are closed by the user.

However, iOS will do one and possibly two things that will cause a problem for session cookies. If the user leaves our site and for example goes back to Facebook (or their day job ;-), after a period of time (I think it’s 10 minutes) iOS will suspend the Safari session.

The second thing that (I think) happens if the user comes close to their device’s memory limit iOS will take steps to clear out stuff it considers unnecessary. I imagine this will include session cookies.

So, in short this is a “feature” or iOS and if you want to be remembered tick “Remember Me” when logging in.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Patrick – trust me – it doesn’t matter if you tick that box or not – the site will still log you out.
    It does it in Chrome, Safari and Firefox on the laptop.
    It does it in Chrome and Safari on the iPhone and iPad.
    It does it in Chrome and Safari on the Macbook.

hora
    Free Member

On my android phone I’ve gone into settings and set ‘not remember’ on all passwords. Same with my PC with auto-fill. I also run malwarebytes so everything is regularly cleared.

Maybe look into those if you want your password saving?

scotroutes

Patrick

I have that box ticked and I still get logged out occasionally (nothing like the frequency many are reporting)

Android phone
    Chrome on Win7

luffy105
    Free Member

i don’t mind being logged out occasionally…

It reminds me what life would be like if i didn’t pay my £1.80 per month subscription and also acts as an aide memoire to check out those Bellroy wallets as i could do with a new one

*ducks for cover*

😛

patricksingletrack
    Free Member

hammyuk: That is very strange. I use all of those devices and browsers as do many of my colleagues and we get logged out after a month as designed in the cookie. How do you fare on other sites? Is there anything you are running on your devices that would get in the way of normal setting of login cookies?

scotroutes: About once a month? If so that’s the correct behaviour.

By the way, if you want to clear out all your cookies from Singletrack so you can do a clean login. Click on this link:
    http://singletrackworld.com/clearcookies.php
    Obviously, you’ll need to log in again after.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Twice this morning on the Mac Patrick.
    There is now timescale to it in any way – it just “happens”.
    Other forums have no issues. Although they all have either a “keep me logged in” or a “logged in for xx” option.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 258 total)

The topic ‘When consensus becomes impossible to ignore?’ is closed to new replies.