Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • When bikepacking is more about enduring than endurance
  • scotroutes

It’s not all lovely sunsets, wilderness fires and #danglemugs you know! There’s a side of bikepacking the media keeps quiet about. No snow covered trails, no remote waterfalls, no hipster beards and Rapha jerseys. It’s November in the Highlands and it’s been wet. Except when it’s been very cold. Then it’s been very cold and wet. Having not been out overnight for a couple of weeks I needed a fix and decided to ride down to the coast towards Findhorn and Roseisle Forest. It’s a favourite spot and was the location of the start of my current streak of 36 consecutive Bivvy-a-Months. Taking the Speyside Way to Grantown and then the Dava Way to Forres makes it almost all off road.

Yesterdays ride started out OK. There’s been a bit of snow at low level and patches could still be found in shaded spots. The rest had thawed out making the trails a bit damp. Still, despite all the gates, Grantown was reached without drama. The first section of the Dava Way was a warning. It was wet. Very wet. Thankfully, I was managing to avoid most of the worst of it.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hLzper]P1060156[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

As I climbed higher onto Dava Moor, I entered a bank of thick, freezing mist. Not only was this chilling me, it was also killing the last of the evening sun and it wasn’t too long before I was using the light to see where I was going.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hLC6KW]P1060158[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

At a couple of points, I could look up and see clear sky, so it wasn’t a thick layer, just enough to make me cold and even wetter. By the time I reached the Half Way Hut I was seriously thinking about jacking it in. If I’d have more food with me, I likely would have but I’d planned to eat in Findhorn.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hLDbar]P1060159[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

I cracked on, at least now heading downhill. The trail was just a river at times and everything I was wearing was getting muddier and wetter. 70km after starting out I hit Findhorn and the Kimberley Inn. Fair to say I got some “looks” from the other guests as I grabbed a table and started to divest myself of cold, wet clothing.

Still, there’s always decent food here so after mains and dessert and a couple of pints of Hurricane, it was time to get dressed up again and head along to Roseisle Forest. A combination of planning and careful unpacking got my tarp up and bag out without slathering mud on everything and I was glad to get into the bag to warm up. It didn’t take long to drift off.

6am pee time and it was still dark, so I waited until it was first light before firing up the stove and getting some coffee on. There was a brief – maybe 20 minute – point at which the whole exercise seemed worthwhile, lying warm in my bag, morning cuppa and watching the sky go first pink and then a misty blue, with birds on their morning flights. All was well.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hLzoLx]P1060165[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hLC6gV]P1060167 (2)[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

After that, it was time to head back to Forres for breakfast and then back to Grantown. This time, I decided to head up the road. It would be slow and boring but definitely drier than last night. Inevitably I hit the freezing fog again. Other than that, load up the next photo onto your laptop and stare at it while standing at the open door of your freezer for a couple of hours. That was basically my ride home (for the full effect get someone to spray you repeatedly with icy water).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hLC676]P1060169[/url] by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

stumpy01

Nice! Or not.

Good write up though. I’m really struggling to want to get out on the bike in all this wet, at the moment.

ton

i went xmas shopping, you lucky sod.

weeksy

I must admit I don’t get it at all. But really glad you do as it was a great post

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Another good write up Colin,thanks for posting.

robowns
    Free Member

Worth it just for that sunrise view I’d say. I’ve never done a bivvy or overnight camp mid-ride but totally get the appeal and fair play to those that enjoy it and do it.

Wouldn’t mind tagging along one time – problem being I’m in East London so everywhere worth going is a long way away!

easily
    Free Member

Thanks, I enjoyed this.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Trying to draw inspiration from that while closeted indoors with the heating on😀 Fantastic write up and pics as always Colin. Cheers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What weeksy said.

corroded
    Free Member

Good read (and photos). Perversely, I get almost as much enjoyment from the horrible days as the sunny, dusty ones – they still remind me that I’m alive and I like not being cowed by the elements. Though I have found that a dry change of clothes is essential once you stop.

nickc

Like weeksy; UK bike packing really fails to fire my imagination at all. I’ve done more than my fair share of wild camping to know that 9 times out of 10 (for me) it was utterly miserable. Your campsite photo especially…eeuurgh.  If I lived somewhere like Utah, I’d maybe be more interested, but Scotland in the Winter? No ta.

Glad that you get a kick out if, I’d have to be bribed.

senorj

Quality suffering.

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah, good for you. There’s nowt better than getting into a warm dry bag when you’ve been cold and wet most of the day. Getting dressed again next morning is a joy to behold…

longdog
    Free Member

Nice one and write up.

Hoping to get back some actual camping, but I’ll probably leave that to next year. Maybe a local one or two first to see how the new knee copes.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Great little write up. I am still waiting to find a semi-dry weekend in which to head out on Exmoor.

jerrys
    Free Member

I love the Kimberley. I used to go up there quite a bit when working with the ‘Mighty Hunter’ based just down the road.

matt_outandabout

Apparently outdoors is always better than indoors.
    Especially when you’re doing that and I was at work…

fatmax

Love that and totally get it…though also seen better sleeping spots! I’m guessing you were looking for somewhere sheltered?
    Every month is a great effort.

scotroutes

LOL – thanks for all the comments. I get that some folk don’t get it, just like I don’t get the racing, all the HR/VO2 stuff and anything to do with fake riding (Turbos/Zwift etc). I guess I’ve stopped seeing it as a niche thing now that my “bubble” is full of folk doing similar (and some frankly quite amazing) things.

Love that and totally get it…though also seen better sleeping spots! I’m guessing you were looking for somewhere sheltered?

It’s a really nice spot actually. Looks out to sea. Flat/pine needle covered sandy soil, so very dry. I’ve used it before so I know what to expect,

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘When bikepacking is more about enduring than endurance’ is closed to new replies.