• This topic has 29 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by v10.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • when are Hope going to be doing Stans complete wheels?
  • steelfan
    Free Member

As the title says.

toons
    Free Member

I was told 8 weeks by the LBS and the same price as the DT rims 🙂

They’re just waiting for the machine to build them!

turnip
    Free Member

They are built by another company, not Hope. The same people who make madisons and lots of other peoples wheels.

I dont understand how they can offer them for the same price as DT when DT rims are £60 RRP and Stans are £80-90 each?

Hey ho Im sure we will see.

shortcut

more to the point – wouldn’t it be nice if Hope did some wheels with Mavic XM819 UST rims.

Just a thought.

scruff
    Free Member

What shortcut said.

richc
    Free Member

why? the stans rims are better than those.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

useful thread, did’nt know that stans hoops were on the way. was going to buy some with 5.1 rims but if i’ll be able to get stans flows at teh same price i’ll hold on.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Stans flow and Race rims soon, they can get them as cheap (expensive) as DT because they can go direct to the factory that makes them and buy thousands of them. Their wheels ARE going to be built in house.

scruff
    Free Member

why? the stans rims are better than those.

Er, really expensive and you still need to put tape on them. Why not make them out of wood and attach them to a horse drawn cart ?

AB
    Free Member

Not sure I fancy the idea of factory built wheels…

MrNutt
    Free Member

I can’t see why on earth stans would be better than 819s?!?

richc
    Free Member

well they would be a lot lighter for a start and wider to give a better tyre profile.

scruff
    Free Member

And no eyelets. Lets see how long they last. Mavics last donkeys yonks.

And this better profile rubbish is rubbish IMO, why use massive tyres if your not rdign big rocks all the time?

Having a 2mm lower sidewall makes no noticable difference either.

chipps

useful thread, did’nt know that stans hoops were on the way.

Core Bike News

Sometimes I wonder why we bother… 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

everything but the 819’s then?!? 😯

FOG

Scruff your Mavics might have lasted donkeys but mine didnt. Mavics -one winter before joining weld split, Stan’s- 2 years without any problems.

shortcut

I am still running around on a set of Mavic X3.1 UST rims. These are the forerunner of the XM819! Still pretty true too! And still no tape, easy to mount UST tyres with no problems getting a seal.

r6ymy
    Free Member

More choice of tyres and lighter weight with Stans rims, you can use regular tyres tubeless so much lighter that UST tyres.

nickc

Has anyone built a pair of 819 rims? was thinking of doing some but was sacred off by tales of them being a bastid to lace as they have some weird double nipple arrangement….

shortcut

they do have a weird double nipple arrangement so you need two spoke keys (the one is specific to the Mavic rim. reportedly they are not difficult to build, just a bit of a faff (read – take about twice the time to build). So a bit of patience and not doing it as part of a busy workshop schedule.

peaslaker
    Free Member

Built some 819s last weekend. Have worked with them for ages and love them as a rim. Easy to build and easy to use. I even have a set running straight pull on some Hope Pro III hubs.

r6ymy,

There is no reason you can’t do the same with 819s. I’ve run Conti vapors on my 819s tubeless. The thing is… that 819s are heavy. With all the extra mounting hardware they are a 500g rim. If you’re a weight weenie this won’t be nearly as good a solution as the Stans offerings. If you want a fuss-free tubeless experience then the 819 is a brilliant solution.

the_lecht_rocks

my 819’s are seasons old !
    seen some severe hammer too.
    they are thin though – NN on 2.25″ seems to be their tyre width limit.
    i like em a lot 🙂

roughneck
    Free Member

I was told last week by Stif there going to be 2 more weeks. Hope told me they will be £285 a pair of flow/pro2

Rockefoten
    Free Member

any news on this?

Im considering ordering from freeborn.co.uk, but they are 50 piunds more..

any takes on the build quality of freeborn vs this guys hope will use?

thanks
    ole

Del

justridingalong have been doing these for a while. dunno about prices though.

Rockefoten
    Free Member

justridingalong are a bit more expencive, are they better at building than freeborn and hope?

Im in Norway but the NOK to GBP ratio is good these days so Im looking to the UK for prices

roughneck
    Free Member

So is there any news when there ready.

Rockefoten
    Free Member

I tried to email hope, but they didnt answer. Are they bad at handling customers there? If so it might be a good idea to build at another shop I guess..

roughneck
    Free Member

Phone them, it took a week for them to get back to me by email

v10
    Free Member

Had my HH ZTR 355s arrive on Thursday. Arch ones are due in about 2 weeks.

For anyone interested the 355s weighed in at 1660g (with QR front adapters).

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘when are Hope going to be doing Stans complete wheels?’ is closed to new replies.