Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Wheerl repair, Surrey Hills
  • clanton
    Free Member

I have managed to buckle an almost new DT Swiss 29er wheel in what seemed a fairly innocuous crash. it is for a Rockshox RS1 fork ie it is a specific and expensive hub….
    The buckle didn’t look too bad to me and I was expecting it to be an easy fix but a local LBS tells me that although they have straightened it, it is much too weak to rely on now and I need to replace the entire lot at what seems insane cost.

I want a second opinion – anyone recommend a wheel builder/bike shop I can trust?

njee20
    Free Member

Beyond Mountain Bikes in Cranleigh are very good. 01483 267676.

clanton
    Free Member

Perfect Njee – thanks. Not too far from me.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

it all depends on spoke tension, it might look straight but it one side has really high tensions and other is v low to keep it straight, then yes I would say replace the rim, a rim swap (has to be THE SAME rim) should be fine,

Gotama
    Free Member

Beyond are good as njee says, they built up a set of light bike rims for me which have taken a beating and are still holding their tension. Also had a rear wheel built by Head for the Hills which survived the most almighty case on one of the fly tipper jumps at the weekend so they get the thumbs up too.

From a trust perspective both are good shops who will give you an honest opinion.

And I suspect the cost will sound painful. New rim which depending on what it is could be 70 quid plus 30 quid of spokes, 9 quid of nipples and between 40 – 60 to build it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I use Nirvana in Westcott. Beyond (@njee) are well liked too

ade9933
    Free Member

All the above are good. Cycle Room in Horsham are ace too.

We are pretty lucky for lbs’s 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Wheerl repair, Surrey Hills’ is closed to new replies.