Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Wheelset Advice
  • nsaints
    Free Member

After a few years I’ve decided to return to mountain biking, just a shame I don’t own my much loved Niner EMD..

Luckily I have my sons light use Trek Roscoe 2018, still on it’s original tyres, which he doesn’t use
    https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/mountain-bikes/trek-roscoe-9-first-ride-review/

My riding doesn’t necessarily need 27.5+ tyres, as I live close to rolling downland – maybe the odd root, never a rock insight

Can I convert the Roscoe to 29 wheels, or is this always going to be a compromise and I’m as well to regain some fitness on 27.5 plus and then buy a 29 inch specific bike?

devash
    Free Member

That review you linked to states “the Boost-width (148mm) QR back end can take 29er wheels in place of the stock 650b+ hoops if you want” so converting to 29″ won’t be a problem (27.5+ forks are the same as 29ers so the front is covered too).

IMO 27.5+ was a bit of a gimmick, from the time when the industry was throwing everything at the wall hoping something would stick. Decent internal width rims (25mm-30mm) paired with 2.3-2.4 29″ tyres would be perfect for the terrain you ride.

joebristol

Mind you big 27.5”+ wheels and tyres are quite comfy on a hardtail.

I’m running 2.6” tyres in my steel hardtail and it’s definitely the most comfortable hardtail I’ve had as a result.

I’d be tempted to just ride it and see if you get back into it without throwing money at it first.

sharkattack

This is true. It might be the most comfortable bike you ever ride.

I’d just crack on and have fun. Save blowing loads of money for later.

zippykona

I’ve got 2.8 minions on my Whippet and it is the best thing I’ve ever ridden in mud.
    Unstoppable.

hatter

I live close to rolling downland – maybe the odd root, never a rock insight

Ironically Plus tyres were never that good for Rocky terrain, in order to keep their weight sensible, they tended to have fairly thin casings and could be pretty fragile when faced with proper spikey rocks.

Where they excelled was in greasy or super soft conditions where they just flubbered their way across everything, they were good fun, I kinda miss my ‘High Fattitude’ with 2.8’s, it was a giggle and as said before, super comfy, pretty much the perfect Swinley winter bike.

I’d leave them on and have fun.

drewd

One thing to be aware of if you do buy a 29er wheelset is the hub standard on the rear hub. The link states it’s boost 148mm QR. If it’s a thru axle rear it’ll be 148mm, but if it’s QR it’ll be 141mm. If you buy a wheel with interchangable end caps you can swap the thru axle to QR and it’ll be fine, but if the hub doesn’t have interchangable end caps you’ll need to make sure it’s the right fitment.

I’ve currently got a 29er geared hardtail and a 27.5+ rigid singlespeed and enjoy both bikes. The 29er is running 2.35″ tyres and feels more agile, but the way the 27.5 3.0 tyres bounce along always makes me smile. I had a Marin Pine Mountain with a Recon fork and 27.5+ tyres before my current two bikes and loved that too.

As others have said I’d stick with what you’ve got for a while and see how you find it.

stevextc
    Free Member

I’m running 2.6” tyres in my steel hardtail and it’s definitely the most comfortable hardtail I’ve had as a result.

I guess it’s horses for courses. I tried a 2.6″ rear simply because it came on a wheel I bought and it didn’t “feel” very nice at all to me. Vague and wallowy. I’ve got the FS anyway for comfy but the HT just lost the direct feel that I love riding the HT (unless I over inflated then a bit pointless?)

I’d be tempted to just ride it and see if you get back into it without throwing money at it first.

Definitely … ^^^

Del

Have had a set of 29 and 27.5+ for my chameleon for about 5 years now. Much swapping around and experimentation. Mullet is the way forward for me. You need to set pressures carefully to get the best from + IME. Grab a Topeak gauge if you don’t have one.

Roscoe was a well reviewed bike iirc. Welcome back!

nsaints
    Free Member

Thanks all, a few of my questions answered in the above

The rear hub has big letters stating ‘Boost 141’ and it’s quick release. I watched a video earlier explain boost was 148. Had me ??. I know the answer there then

So I’ll try-out 27.5+ for this winter at least..

Tyre pressures. I set to 30psi yesterday. Kept it to a 15 mile small loop
    So 30psi is too much?

I’m 15.5 stone. Any recommendations. It’s still dry so looking for fast rolling. Does this mean more pressure than the winter/mud?

stevextc
    Free Member

So 30psi is too much?

Let air out till you start to feel the rim on big impacts then put a little bit back in.

hatter

So 30psi is too much?

In a plus tyre? yes!

Judging by your weight I’d try 18-20 PSI and go from there, tyre pressure has a huge effect on ride quality on plus sized bikes, too hard and you feel like you’re riding a bouncy ball, too soft and it feels like your tyres could roll off the rim in every corner.

Hit the ‘responsive but well damped and grippy’ sweetspot though and you’ll have a great time on it.

ajantom

Plus tyres are great for all applications.

I did the 100km HONC route on my 29+ monstercross the other week, and a biggish (55km) xc ride on my 27.5+ hardtail yesterday.

30psi I’d definitely too much. I’d try 15-18psi.

Comfy ✓
    Good grip ✓
    Good rolling resistance ✓

nsaints
    Free Member

Once again thanks all, I shall make some adjustments 🙂

joebristol

When you say plus what you’re size have you got? I’m 75-76kgs ish and on 2.6” tyres intend to run 22-23psi generally. Obviously 2.8” are more plus but you’re heavier too. I’d be tempted to start at 25 psi and work down until they feel too vague in corners and then go sback up until that sensation goes.

rockhopper70

My daughter has the WSD version of one of these. The rear hub is a bit peculiar but I think hope do a version. If the day comes to change wheels, superstar often have 29r sets on sale that are compatible and cheap.

nsaints
    Free Member

When you say plus what size have you got?

I have 2.8’s

Whilst I mention in my original post the bike has only had light use and on the original tyres the rear is close approaching replacement time.

Your question now has me thinking. Should I consider renewing with a 2.6 tyre.
    Into anti spiral of research and indecision 🤦‍♂️🙂

nsaints
    Free Member

*another spiral..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.