Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wheels and forks need upgrading, any suggestions ?
  • Raindog
    Free Member

I have a 2008 Commencal Meta 5 which hasn’t broken yet. I love it, but I would like to stiffen up the rear so I’ve bought a 15mm conversion, and I need a wheel to suit. Whilst I’m at it I would like to fit a stiffer fork to tighten up the front. I’m thinking Hope Pro 2 hubs or similar, but I don’t know what rims to try ? I want to keep any weight increase to a minimum. As for a fork I was thinking of 454 Pikes…any other suggestions ? All will need to be second hand or huge new bargains. Thanks.

Lifer
    Free Member

2008s are fine, it was the 09s that had the problems.

Relacing the old rims not an option? Have rebuilt the front on mine twice with the Commencal branded rim and it’s still true and round.

Raindog
    Free Member

Original Commencal hubs are QR, so no.

Lifer
    Free Member

You can delace the wheels and use the old rims though! Running mine with 25mm Spesh E150 hub.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I’m selling some OEM Pike 454s if you’re interested. £175. Missing the red rebound knob and they aren’t travel adjustable.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

The Manitou range of forks are a good value option

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Brands.aspx?BrandID=198

the do a 20mm bolt fork

similar sort of price to a secondhand pair of usual contenders with bonus of a warranty!!

Hope hubs and rims to suit your budget, try the classifieds in the wanted section for the hubs and maybe source some Mavic 719 or 819’s and get them built?

wheels do pop up from time to time so depends if you can wait

Northwind

For forks, everyone loves Pikes but for most folks Revelations are a better buy, they’re not as strong but still strong enough unless you’re a maniac, and they’re a lot lighter. The last of the Revelation 426s came in a 140mm maxle model that was basically a lightweight Pike and is quite a good buy usually, the newer ones cost a little more but are lighter.

Rebuilding your old rims onto new hubs can work out pretty expensive… If you need to get it all done professionally, I’ve always found it cheaper to sell the old ones and buy new. Pro 2s are the default option really but the maxle axle is too weak, it needs a full thicnkess maxle to support it otherwise it’s fairly likely to snap. So none of those tapering maxle lites.

catnash
    Free Member

My mate has the green meta 5, swears by the revelation, even though he has travel adjust never uses it.

Raindog
    Free Member

Some good advice here, thanks. I’ll take a look at the Revs.

Yet1man

Hi.

I have a (pair) of Chris King hubbed wheels for sale, the front has the BETD 15mm adapter on it so will run happily on 15mm axle forks and will also accept the Hope floating rotors (Chris King’s own adapter only allows the use of standard disks !!). The rims are Mavic 819’s, a superb all mountain & true UST rim (don’t need to use a rim strip or faff about with any extra bits), just add tyres (and sealant if you wish) and your away !

If your interested in these, drop me an email and I’ll sort out some photo’s.

Cheers

Michael

rustler
    Free Member

Its a no brainer. Pick up some Pikes, preferably a 454 coil version. Truly great forks. Rebuild your front wheel onto a Pro2 hub. If your not fussed on colours CRC had some Pro2’s at £40, now the Evo one is out. Failing that the Switch hub from Superstar.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wheels and forks need upgrading, any suggestions ?’ is closed to new replies.